Q Magazine - 1990-2020 Thirty Years of Green Day

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Just now, PursuitOfEpicness said:

You don't notice how high your tolerance can get to feel high so that's terrifying 

Right, and plenty of rich rock stars have overdosed on high quality stuff.  It’s just a waste and not worth it. It’s tragic when it happens to someone else but you never think it’s gonna happen to you because your addiction tells you you can handle it and doesn’t want you to quit. It’s the true deal with the devil.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Am I the only one who's less alarmed after reading this?

Actually I felt like he is doing alright after read it but there is a fine line that he walks around it as he said and looks like he's aware that he should be careful with it 

He is a rockstar millionaire. I assume he has access to quality stuff.

That’s like saying a millionaire can’t get a terminal illness (cancer, dimentia etc.) because they are rich. 

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Sure but substance abuse is still dangerous particularly the older you get and overdoses are usually called accidents for a reason.  

That's true. I'd say it's less likely to happen in the use is somewhat responsible, but it still has its risks and it's a health hazard. No doubt about that.

3 minutes ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

Sorry if i sound like a mom but...No such thing as quality drugs my friend

Well, it's safer to use pure drugs so that you know what you're taking and can dose accordingly. Taking something from an unreliable source that turns out to be something else mixed with glue is how many overdoses happen. I'm not saying it safe, but less likely to kill you.

5 minutes ago, Beyza said:

Actually I felt like he is doing alright after read it but there is a fine line that he walks around it as he said and looks like he's aware that he should be careful with it 

Honestly when you can see the fine line it's about time to stop

6 minutes ago, DadBod said:

That’s like saying a millionaire can’t get a terminal illness (cancer, dimentia etc.) because they are rich. 

That's not what I mean... I just doubt they do street stuff

11 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That's true. I'd say it's less likely to happen in the use is somewhat responsible, but it still has its risks and it's a health hazard. No doubt about that.

Well, it's safer to use pure drugs so that you know what you're taking and can dose accordingly. Taking something from an unreliable source that turns out to be something else mixed with glue is how many overdoses happen. I'm not saying it safe, but less likely to kill you.

There’s no such thing as responsible use if we’re talking about cocaine. And the most common way to overdose is not to take something laced with garbage, but rather to do what he has done which is to build up a high tolerance, take a long break and then resume using at previous high levels that you can no longer handle. That is the most common way long time users die. 

All the meth they did in the 90s, and it was a security guard and flying TV responsible for them losing teeth 🙃

13 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Honestly when you can see the fine line it's about time to stop

Yeah true but he doesn't want to stop for now appearently. I think we'll see on the tour if he could handle it well then it means he's doing fine. It will never end or become less easy for him so he always has to deal with them. I'm sure people around him take care of him but I think he can get some extra support too. They said he is doing meditation I guess so he may be into self healing. It would be good for him too. 

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There’s no such thing as responsible use if we’re talking about cocaine. And the most common way to overdose is not to take something laced with garbage, but rather to do what he has done which is to build up a high tolerance, take a long break and then resume using at previous high levels that you can no longer handle. That is the most common way long time users die. 

I can't tell how easy it is to get addicted, but when that happens and you develop a high tolerance, then yes, responsible use becomes a problem. If it's done occasionally and not in massive doses it's still not very safe but neither is binge drinking... there's no winning here imo.

At least it's not physically addicting/ not dangerous to come off of like benzos.

11 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

All the meth they did in 90s, and it was a security guard and flying TV responsible for them losing teeth 🙃

I think he was fine in early 90s. Just experimenting with meth but was not into alcohol that much. His drinking issue started with Nimrod probably because of more stress and tries to overcome since then

2 minutes ago, Beyza said:

I think he was fine in early 90s. Just experimenting with meth but was not into alcohol that much. His drinking issue started with Nimrod probably because of more stress and tries to overcome since then

Yeah i know he has said it was really bad after nimrod, pre warning

1 minute ago, Beyza said:

Yeah true but he doesn't want to stop for now appearently. I think we'll see on the tour if he could handle it well then it means he's doing fine. It will never end or become less easy for him so he always has to deal with them. I'm sure people around him take care of him but I think he can get some extra support too. They said he is doing meditation I guess so he may be into self healing. It would be good for him too. 

Hopefully he can have his fun and not ruin his life. There's a difference between "having fun" and being an addict though.

A while ago someone told me that they believe quality of life is what matters the most and if the choice is between being sober and depressed or not being sober then they wouldn't maintain the sobriety. I didn't agree then and insisted there must be a better solution, but I don't know, maybe they had a point. However, I doubt it.

Hopefully he can have his fun and not ruin his life. There's a difference between "having fun" and being an addict though.

A while ago someone told me that they believe quality of life is what matters the most and if the choice is between being sober and depressed or not being sober then they wouldn't maintain the sobriety. I didn't agree then and insisted there must be a better solution, but I don't know, maybe they had a point. However, I doubt it.

I can totally see Billie subscribing to that point of view.  

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don’t know either but the best way to cope is to substitute one addiction for a healthier one, since you will always be an addict. I think he tried to do this for five years with music and performing which he has also described as an addiction and a rush for him, but considering his environment where he’s surrounded by drugs and alcohol constantly music alone as a substitute just wasn’t enough. 

Plus when you consider the fact that without substances to self medicate he is left dealing with anxiety and panic disorder (that music doesn’t alleviate but in fact may be a trigger) and that can lead you back to substances pretty quick.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t know either but the best way to cope is to substitute one addiction for a healthier one, since you will always be an addict. I think he tried to do this for five years with music and performing which he has also described as an addiction and a rush for him, but considering his environment where he’s surrounded by drugs and alcohol constantly music alone as a substitute just wasn’t enough. 

The thing is, as long as the addiction is to something harmful it can't make your life much better, that's why I think my friend was wrong. There has to be another option than feeling down or being fucked up. I'm not overly concerned if it's occasional use, but "I'm going to get addicted to some other drug" can't really work imo.

34 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

The thing is, as long as the addiction is to something harmful it can't make your life much better, that's why I think my friend was wrong. There has to be another option than feeling down or being fucked up. I'm not overly concerned if it's occasional use, but "I'm going to get addicted to some other drug" can't really work imo.

No my point was it is recommended not to fight your addiction but to substitute a healthy one like exercise or meditation or music or whatever works for you. I think he tried that but it wasn’t enough when he’s still dealing with his underlying mental issues and has a biological craving.

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

No my point was it is recommended not to fight your addiction but to substitute a healthy one like exercise or meditation or music or whatever works for you. I think he tried that but it wasn’t enough when he’s still dealing with his underlying mental issues and has a biological craving.

Oh - yeah, you're right about that. Obviously replacing addiction with a healthy activity would be a change for the better.

56 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Plus when you consider the fact that without substances to self medicate he is left dealing with anxiety and panic disorder (that music doesn’t alleviate but in fact may be a trigger) and that can lead you back to substances pretty quick.

and also being in a catch 22 where it alleviates the symptoms but in the long term makes them worse

On 2/10/2020 at 9:19 AM, kaylubd said:

I'm happy they released it in the American store, but their shipping is so ridiculous. It kind of kills it for me, but I'm still trying to decide. For some reason the 7 inch doesn't make me super excited even though it's pretty cool.

Totally agree! I broke down and ordered it--I'm in CA, and $11 shipping. But we were at the Whiskey show, so I really want that record!

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

He is a rockstar millionaire. I assume he has access to quality stuff.

So did Prince

2 hours ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

You don't notice how high your tolerance can get to feel high so that's terrifying 

Sorry if i sound like a mom but...No such thing as quality drugs my friend

This!

This one just reads to me like whilst it's so obvious he's drinking he has to admit it, he doesn't really want to talk about it, which is totally understandable. Like I said in the other thread, I have no idea if this is how Billie feels, but I'd imagine any famous alcoholic who's struggling wouldn't want to say they should still be sober - because then any time they're seen with a drink, people would see it as this shocking relapse and be sympathetic. I do feel for him, or any famous person, knowing they'll be asked about this stuff and then having to talk about it all publicly. It doesn't do anyone's mental health any good. My partner keeps telling me how a "dead rock star is good marketing" in regards to their alcoholism and how the industry encourages it. It's a horrible business for anyone and the people around them, let alone people who already have issues.

Billie's opinion on iHeart has probably changed because he's drinking again. Yet he still admits it hurt his loved ones. If the cost of "punk" is hurting them, or anyone for that matter, that's... well, it doesn't seem worth it to me, but then I've never wanted to be punk. On another note, I'm pretty sure he said in another interview that the Junkies on a High line is autobiographical :P He constantly contradicts himself so anything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt anyway. That may be just another way of trying to change the subject.

We can't ever know what's going on in his life, really, whether positive or negative. What I've seen combined with my personal experience leads me to believe he isn't alright, but I can't know for sure and even if I did, it's not my business to even want to help as a fan. I just hope he's getting the help he needs.

22 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

At least coke isn't dangerous. 

Phew !

The soda maybe

but the drug😖

1 minute ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

The soda maybe

but the drug😖

The soda isn't good for your teeth :lol: so preferably neither

1 hour ago, solongfromthestars said:

I'm pretty sure he said in another interview that the Junkies on a High line is autobiographical

I think he meant it’s not exactly like autobiographical. There is definitely some connection to his life but the line is like a general cliche rock n roll quote but at the same time he feels connected in some way so wrote it. Probably this whole album doesn't contain so much personal lyrics as RevRad imo

Archived