Stream Green Day on The Game Awards December 12

pacejunkie punk

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s funny how much this promotion continues to resemble the Trilogy promotion innit?

Absolutely, it's almost like they're taking a ride to the old haunts. I have a suspicion that Warner's marketing dept. has only two strategies written up for Green Day and it's either keeping everything very low or completely all over the place and there's nothing in between. If I wasn't afraid it'd ruin my relationship to the band and also my academic career forever, I'd write a thesis on their marketing.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least gamers seem to be excited about them performing, unlike another group of fans...

HOCKEY SNOBS.

14 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

At least gamers seem to be excited about them performing, unlike another group of fans...

HOCKEY SNOBS.

Buddy if you think it's only people who watch hockey who don't like green day you got another thing coming

1 minute ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Buddy if you think it's only people who watch hockey who don't like green day you got another thing coming

I never said it was only Hockey fans. I’m just saying that gamers seem to have more optimism about Green Day playing than hockey fans.

1 hour ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I never said it was only Hockey fans. I’m just saying that gamers seem to have more optimism about Green Day playing than hockey fans.

The thing with hockey fan (like me) it's that whatever the band who would have been partner with the NHL would have receive shit comments. 

The problem is that no one likes Green Day... do we? Do we really like Green Day? Unironically?

Just kidding, but not completely. It seems to me people tend to scoff at them.

42 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

The thing with hockey fan (like me) it's that whatever the band who would have been partner with the NHL would have receive shit comments. 

True. You can never please hockey fans. 😬🤷‍♀️

40 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

The problem is that no one likes Green Day... do we? Do we really like Green Day? Unironically?

Just kidding, but not completely. It seems to me people tend to scoff at them.

They’re what I like to call “Mainstream Trash”

7 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Absolutely, it's almost like they're taking a ride to the old haunts. I have a suspicion that Warner's marketing dept. has only two strategies written up for Green Day and it's either keeping everything very low or completely all over the place and there's nothing in between. If I wasn't afraid it'd ruin my relationship to the band and also my academic career forever, I'd write a thesis on their marketing.

And how naive we were to believe for one second that the marketing strategy could change/improve with the new management 😄

Yeah everything feels so 2012. I wish someone could tell them that it’s time to go back to the future. 

7 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Yeah everything feels so 2012.

In that case, I demand Green Day to be back in the Hot 100 or Top 40 damn it! :P

6 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

They’re what I like to call “Mainstream Trash”

I beg to profoundly disagree with this 😅

1 hour ago, Thatsername said:

And how naive we were to believe for one second that the marketing strategy could change/improve with the new management 😄

Yeah everything feels so 2012. I wish someone could tell them that it’s time to go back to the future. 

Without any irony or sarcasm, how would you suggest to spend 5 months of gap between album announcement and release? And what’s so bad about the game awards? Videogames are probably the most popular medium of our time, they have an audience that spans from 6 to 60 years old people, and GD definitely shares part of this public. 
If they were playing at the Emmys or the Academy awards would you have reacted in the same way? 

1 hour ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I beg to profoundly disagree with this

I really should’ve clarified. I meant the people who scoff at Green Day are “mainstream trash”

20 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I really should’ve clarified. I meant the people who scoff at Green Day are “mainstream trash”

Sorry, I really misunderstood that :D 

5 hours ago, Thatsername said:

They're doing it better this time though. They're going all out with the game awards performance and Big Announcement TM and iHeart went a lot better this time around too :P

The discussion about Green Day in video games reminded me of a certain unlockable character you could play as in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland lol

billy-joe_nvb1.jpg

I don't see a problem with this or the hockey thing, they're just promoting their new music. Looking forward to seeing the performance!

5 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Without any irony or sarcasm, how would you suggest to spend 5 months of gap between album announcement and release? 

Not having a 5 month gap at all would be a start 😄 I never got this whole long gap thing even it is a fancy thing to do nowadays. It totally kills the excitement, but maybe that’s just me.

7 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Not having a 5 month gap at all would be a start 😄 I never got this whole long gap thing even it is a fancy thing to do nowadays. It totally kills the excitement, but maybe that’s just me.

I am totally with you, however,if it means we get a regular stream of live appearances over a longer period, I’ll put up with it 😀

17 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

I get that, but then you’ll agree with me that except some coincidences this doesn’t really resealable the trilogy promotion. The amount of trash promotion, condensed in a few weeks and in a very random way, that was going on at the time is not really what is happening now. To me this looks more like what they did for RR, just spread over time and with the addition of the Crush side promotion obviously focused on the Hella mega tour. 

1 hour ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I get that, but then you’ll agree with me that except some coincidences this doesn’t really resealable the trilogy promotion. The amount of trash promotion, condensed in a few weeks and in a very random way, that was going on at the time is not really what is happening now. To me this looks more like what they did for RR, just spread over time and with the addition of the Crush side promotion obviously focused on the Hella mega tour. 

Being spread out helps it to not look like one compact pile of trash :P (jk) I'd say it is similar to trilogy, but better executed. They're using quite a few of the same channels, if you will:

games: angry birds - video games 

regular tv presence: the voice - nhl

playing events that are out of their genre: iheart - iheart

new social media as @youngerpeople: instagram (i was new back then, wild innit) - the attempt at tiktok/the way they currently use ig

Also, I'd love to play a game of guess what quote is from foam and what's from trilogy with the interviews. :lol:

I don't know, to me it just looks like they have a similar strategy for this, which makes sense though - I'd expect people who like the trilogy to like foam.

26 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Being spread out helps it to not look like one compact pile of trash :P (jk) I'd say it is similar to trilogy, but better executed. They're using quite a few of the same channels, if you will:

games: angry birds - video games 

regular tv presence: the voice - nhl

playing events that are out of their genre: iheart - iheart

new social media as @youngerpeople: instagram (i was new back then, wild innit) - the attempt at tiktok/the way they currently use ig

Also, I'd love to play a game of guess what quote is from foam and what's from trilogy with the interviews. :lol:

I don't know, to me it just looks like they have a similar strategy for this, which makes sense though - I'd expect people who like the trilogy to like foam.

You have a point here but, more than Trilogy-ish, I think is like “any marketing campaign that wants to target a mass audience made of 20 years old or younger people”-ish :P 

They attempted to do it with the Trilogy, but it ended up being embarrassing interviews at Good morning America and a freaking horrible CSI episode :D 

So far, fortunately, I didn’t see anything like that here. The “more controversial” thing is the NHL deal, but I see this as a better realized version of what they did with KYE/21CB and NCAA (not even NBA for fuck sake)/Comcast :) 

7 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

You have a point here but, more than Trilogy-ish, I think is like “any marketing campaign that wants to target a mass audience made of 20 years old or younger people”-ish :P 

They attempted to do it with the Trilogy, but it ended up being embarrassing interviews at Good morning America and a freaking horrible CSI episode :D 

So far, fortunately, I didn’t see anything like that here. The “more controversial” thing is the NHL deal, but I see this as better realized version of what they did with KYE/21CB and NCAA (not even NBA for fuck sake)/Comcast :) 

Yeah, of course, the similarity comes from the fact that they're going for a similar audience.

It is slightly less embarrassing this time, I'll give them that. :P The choice of stuff they're appearing on definitely is less bad.

8 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I beg to profoundly disagree with this 😅

Without any irony or sarcasm, how would you suggest to spend 5 months of gap between album announcement and release? And what’s so bad about the game awards? Videogames are probably the most popular medium of our time, they have an audience that spans from 6 to 60 years old people, and GD definitely shares part of this public. 
If they were playing at the Emmys or the Academy awards would you have reacted in the same way? 

Don’t make that big gap first of all. The gaming and stuff good but it doesn’t matter when the music is this bad. Be honest, would you listen this song if it is not gd. I would never even finish the foamf if it’s not Green Day. 

2 minutes ago, Jorgemas said:

Don’t make that big gap first of all. The gaming and stuff good but it doesn’t matter when the music is this bad. Be honest, would you listen this song if it is not gd. I would never even finish the foamf if it’s not Green Day. 

De gustibus non est disputandum :P 

Yes I would, but I was not talking about whether I like the new material or not, but about how it is being promoted :) 

1 minute ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

De gustibus non est disputandum :P 

Yes I would, but I was not talking about whether I like the new material or not, but about how it is being promoted :) 

The promotion looks just like trilogy, but this time Billie didn’t go to rehab and he is less energetic and hopefully not drunk.  The biggest difference is music quality but the promotion is same

Archived