Tell your Green Day story

Enjoy The Silence

How did your Green Day story start and continue?

Which song/album

Where?

When?

Bonus question: Is Green Day your favorite band, if so why?

::cracks knuckles::

A friend of mine had gotten Dookie as an 11th birthday present and everyone at the party was super excited. I didn't know anything about Green Day at the time, other than everybody I went to school with talking about this cool new band they heard on the radio.

I saw a piece of the Basket Case video on Beavis and Butthead, but until the end of 1995, that was my only exposure to the band. Around that tome was when I was hanging out playing Nintendo with my cousin, and noticed the cases for Dookie and Insomniac on my uncle's CD shelf.

Naturally, I went for Dookie first but it was empty; Insomniac was there. I've always had a thing for numbers, so I popped it into the Boombox and started with 86. That was when my world changed for the better.

From from that day forward, Green Day has been my favorite band. It's not even a competition. They opened the floodgates for my exposure to similar kinds of music, and even beyond that. They're the reason I picked up a guitar, a bass and eventually, drumsticks; they're the biggest influence in my writing; nobody's lyrics have been more relatable to me than Billie Joe's. 

My dad listens to a lot of rock music, and since I was a kid a Dookie cassette was part of my parents’ car playlist :) 

Then back in 2004 something magic happened. A huge American flag started to melt down in my TV, while some amplifiers were throwing up green stuff over three weird guys playing an amazing song like a bunch of agents Smith. I was 12, and that day I felt in love with Green Day and with music. And that’s also my bonus answer :D 

Just after Bullet in a Bible was released in 2005, a friend in school brought the CD and played it in class. Since that moment GD is my favourite band and they are the reason I got that much into music.

1995 - I was 12/13

I think my first intro to them was the When I Come Around video clip. We were fortunate to have cable TV (Channel V on Optus Vision) and it was pretty much on all the time. My brother and I would watch a lot of music videos and when I saw this I thought they were pretty crazy but that was pretty much it

Then my best friend in high school introduced me to Dookie (his brother introduced it to him) we found the artwork hilarious and I had a copy on cassette. I liked it, but I don't think I became a real fan of GD until Insomniac came out.. I guess I was a little late getting in to Insomniac (was released in October 1995) I bought it for my brother for Christmas of '95 and made a copy for myself. I absolutely loved it. My brother didn't take to it so I just took the CD back off him and it was this point I pretty much went through GDs back catalog and became a pretty obsessed fan from 1996 onwards.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, Enjoy The Silence said:

Bonus question: Is Green Day your favorite band, if so why?

Well yeah, so much of my life has formed due to GD, seems a bit strange but literally who I made friends with to who I married all boils down to this band. Kinda strange.. SO they will always be my favourite band even if I don't actively listen to them that much these days (I'm too busy with the copious amount of local talent coming out of Australia the last few years ;))

Edit: Its so funny to think it took me 2 months after it was released to buy Insomniac but that was just how it was back then.. Things just weren't as quick and accessible back then, I would've had to save up my 30 odd bucks. (I still remember where I bought it, and I bought a new pair of Sony earphones at the same time). Even though it was a gift I guess I kinda bought it for myself ;)

I knew and liked Green Day before American Idiot, but they were just a band among many others I liked and listened to, nothing special. I didn't even bother to buy American Idiot immediately after its release. A friend of mine had it and we always drove to school together back then because she already had a driver's license and I was still too young. She said "Did you listen to the new Green Day album yet? It's amazing." And so we listened to it on a long drive on a cold, grey day and I was speechless. Whatsername was the song that hit me most, it became my favourite for years and it still is in my personal song top 5, I think. They had me. I love many other bands and I also discovered many other artists through Green Day, but those three guys are different and special for me and always will be. The friend who introduced me to AI doesn't care about Green Day anymore, by the way. Unbelievable 😄

Archived