VHS Video Billie sent to a fan 23 years ago

Rumpelstiltskin2000

This instagram user has posted a VHS video Billie sent to his now wife 23 years ago. Rock Sound have reported on it too:

https://www.rocksound.tv/news/read/watch-a-vhs-green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-sent-to-a-fan-23-years-ago-has

A video recorded by Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong and sent to a fan back in 1996 has surfaced on the internet - and the story about it is genuinely brilliant. 

The story was shared by Reddit user u/jmsmnn, about his wife who was 15 years old back in 1996, and a very very big fan of Green Day. 

"In 1996 Billie Joe Armstrong took time to call my wife when she was 15. She would send him letters often. One day he called her house to thank her," he shared. "Being a young girl from a small town, she couldn’t believe it was really him so she assumed it was a prank call and hung up on him. His wife immediately called back to try to convince her it was real. She hung up on her too. A week or so later a package showed up with a video in it. In the video he held up the letters she had sent him and thanked her for them."

The video is below, and it features Billie Joe explaining that it's real, showing off the Valentine's Day card she'd sent, and showing off the old Green Day tour poster he was sending along with it. He didn't just give up after being hung up on TWICE. You love to see it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t believe he went through so much trouble for this one when he must have gotten tons of fan mail 😲 What persistence! 

Wow!!
If anyone calls me and tells me he's Billie Joe I will take the time to stay online and trust him anyway. Even if it's a girl voice. Don't care. 

Back in the days of fan mail hahahaha 

I remember P.O boxes were included in liner notes of the album and stuff. Really cool to see that they took the time to answer it and go above and beyond. 

My favourite letter from this era was the angry insomniac grandma that ended up influencing Reject. 

Well this is just adorable!  Would you ever forgive yourself for hanging up on Billie Joe but can quite understand why she did!  He looks so young and sweet in this.  I also love that Adie tried to help.

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I hope he sees it and reposts 

Then he should call her again...I bet she wouldn't hang up this time!

4 hours ago, Vintage Disciple said:

Then he should call her again...I bet she wouldn't hang up this time!

Or, if you're like me, won't answer because you don't recognize the number. 😎

7 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I love iPhone’s new feature that sends all unfamiliar numbers straight to voicemail but yeah it means no surprise calls for me 😂 

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I love iPhone’s new feature that sends all unfamiliar numbers straight to voicemail but yeah it means no surprise calls for me 😂 

That's a thing?!?! How do I set that up? I have a call filter through my provider that blocks 90% of spam/fraud numbers.

23 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I never answer calls if I don't know the answer.  Once I hit decline when I saw the number started with 510, thinking, who would be calling me from Oakland?  Then it dawned on me the only reason I know 510 is Oakland is because of Billie.  Then I got paranoid, cause, ya know, the only person from Oakland that could possibly be calling me would be Billie.  Not a telemarketer, only Billie.

I never answer my phone if it's a number I don't recognize. I figure if they really need me, they'll leave a voicemail. But somehow some autodialer got a hold of my work's number, so it uses our number to dial others. And it surprises me the amount of people who will call the number to try and figure out who it is. I'm like, google the number or something. It's so weird to me. And annoying because I have to tell many people that we actually didn't call them.

43 minutes ago, DadBod said:

That's a thing?!?! How do I set that up? I have a call filter through my provider that blocks 90% of spam/fraud numbers.

If you have the latest ios update go into your phone settings and turn on Silence Unknown Callers. It’s flawless. No more robocalls.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

If you have the latest ios update go into your phone settings and turn on Silence Unknown Callers. It’s flawless. No more robocalls.

I probably need to update to 13.2.(insert digit). I think I'm on 13.2.1.

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Dang! Android needs to get on this!

43 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thank you  I just turned it on. Not that I got that many but none is better. 😄

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I read this as Silence Unicorn Callers. It didn't even surprise me

1 hour ago, DadBod said:

I probably need to update to 13.2.(insert digit). I think I'm on 13.2.1.

Any version of ios 13 should have it. I have an iPhone 7

12 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I read this as Silence Unicorn Callers. It didn't even surprise me

It’ll do that too. Motherfucking unicorns 🦄😂

Yet another thing that reinforces how wonderful and good hearted Billie is. :wub: Not a lot of other people would put that much effort into reaching out to their fans to thank them.

(Tried to post this yesterday night, but the fucking site froze and apparently it didn't get posted :mad:)

I woul 100% never believe it was someone from Green Day ringing me! I would even question the video tape! I'd be like, nope, no way...... 😅

Archived