Coverups & Dead Mermaids at Tiki Bar Dec 6th

Squashie

Watched a couple of videos and it seems like such fun ride. How lucky if these fans that got to be part of Tre's birthday celebration with the band.

This show just shows how much passion the band still has for music after all these years and nights like these are about creating memories for them and the fans that got to attend.

• Like 1

I honestly don't understand the point of reading an interview and then going: "HE LIED TO US!!!". A lot may have changed since and most importantly, it's only an interview. He doesn't owe us anything either - what he does irl doesn't actually influence our lives in any way. The worst that happened to any of us was a cancelled show and that's as far as it can get.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

People die from alcoholism.

wait, what?

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Ask Amy Winehouse. Oh wait, you can’t 

I need to stop drinking then. Oh wait, I can't.

Just now, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I need to stop drinking then. Oh wait, I can't.

I didn’t say people die from drinking a beer.  Are you an alcoholic? Then get help 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I didn’t say people die from drinking a beer.  Are you an alcoholic? Then get help 

Well I've just read that Winehouse's blood alcohol content was 416 mg per 100 ml. I'm not THAT intense.
But seriously I know you're right I was joking about my situation.  The thing is I don't think Billie is an alcoholic. Like everybody else he can be drunk some time in his life. 

I will argue a little here and say his actions have more influence than that even with regards to people who don’t know him personally because music has a deep impact on people’s lives.  He may not owe us but the emotional connection is still real and goes way beyond the disappointment of a cancelled show.  How many fans have shared stories about how Green Day has inspired them, made their lives better and even quite literally saved their lives?  People are concerned because they are afraid. His loss would be devastating and not just on his own friends and family.  It’s not just a harmless beer we’re talking about, it’s alcoholism. People die from alcoholism.

That's a good point and I agree with you that on a emotional level, we're (most of us anyway) more concerned than as far as shows go. I understand that and I feel that way too, I mean of course I care, but at the same time I think it'd be a mistake to get too invested in this stuff. What I'm saying is that we'll never be as affected by anything he does as people he actually has relationships with so there's no point in being like "so that was a lie!!!" about an interview. He didn't lie to us more than when he said 99 Revolutions was the best song he wrote. Of course, I'd be devastated too if something happened to him, but it's a one-sided relationship. It's not like he's hurting my feelings with his actions, it's me who got emotionally attached.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That's a good point and I agree with you that on a emotional level, we're (most of us anyway) more concerned than as far as shows go. I understand that and I feel that way too, I mean of course I care, but at the same time I think it'd be a mistake to get too invested in this stuff. What I'm saying is that we'll never be as affected by anything he does as people he actually has relationships with so there's no point in being like "so that was a lie!!!" about an interview. He didn't lie to us more than when he said 99 Revolutions was the best song he wrote. Of course, I'd be devastated too if something happened to him, but it's a one-sided relationship. It's not like he's hurting my feelings with his actions, it's me who got emotionally attached.

That’s all true, I wasn’t really speaking to the point of whether “he lied” in the interview because I don’t believe he did (except maybe to himself). I think he believed what he said at the time so it doesn’t even feel like a betrayal to me if that even were possible.  He did say he felt like he let the fans down by not acting professionally on stage and that’s as far as that goes.

• Like 2

I understand being concerned, but IMHO I often read posts that cross the line between being concerned and inappropriate. No one here is Billie’s doctor or family. We know he had drinking problems, and that in an interview he called himself an alcoholic, but also that at that time he had plenty of other problems, including other addictions. We are not his doctor nor his family so we don’t know what his actual diagnosis was, and currently is, we don’t know if the main problem were the pills, alcohol, or the combination of alcohol and pills. We don’t know if he was actually a problem drinker, or if he is still seeing a doctor.  
So we actually don’t know anything and I think it’s of very bad taste to keep making diagnosis, prognosis and therapy on a forum, for someone we don’t actually know anything about. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I understand being concerned, but IMHO I often read posts that cross the line between being concerned and inappropriate. No one here is Billie’s doctor or family. We know he had drinking problems, and that in an interview he called himself an alcoholic, but also that at that time he had plenty of other problems, including other additions. We are not his doctor nor his family so we don’t know what his actual diagnosis was, and currently is, we don’t know if the main problem were the pills, alcohol, or the combination of alcohol and pills. We don’t know if he was actually a problem drinker, or if he is still seeing a doctor.  
So we actually don’t know anything and I think it’s of very bad taste to keep making diagnosis, prognosis and therapy on a forum for someone we don’t actually know anything about. 

I don’t see anyone here doing any of that, but just talking about how it affects them emotionally as fans. People are able to assess and discuss their own feelings on the situation from a fan perspective, particularly since the fans were already put through it once in 2012. 

• Like 2

I don’t see anyone here doing any of that, but just talking about how it affects them emotionally as fans. People are able to assess and discuss their own feelings on the situation from a fan perspective, particularly since the fans were already put through it once in 2012. 

IMHO, trying to understand how many beers he drunk during that show, how many are or are not enough to be alarming, how often he is allowed to be drunk, and how drunk he is allowed to be are all examples of that. 

• Like 1

Just now, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

IMHO, trying to understand how many beers he drunk during that show, how many are or are not enough to be alarming, how often he is allowed to be drunk, and how drunk he is allowed to be are all examples of that. 

Maybe my standards are a little different but I'd say this conversation has mostly been respectful. I know that sometimes people go too far, but this doesn't seem particularly invasive. You're right that having a discussion about whether or not he's allowed to get drunk and how much beer is too much (there's never too much ha) isn't right, but it's also understandable that people are sharing their feelings about it because I think there's nothing that weird about being concerned when we know he's struggled with it in the past. Obviously being concerned isn't an excuse to pry into his personal life, but I hope that's not what we're doing ;)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Just for those who say he was drinking all along, he used to mark off his sobriety on his IG.  Personally, I wish that he wouldn't drink, but know there's not much I can do as a fan but hope for the best.  But we do have an emotional connection to him, so it's natural for us to care about what happens to him.

What we don’t know is whether he started drinking again against medical advice or not, and whether he is currently under medical counseling. IMHO saying something like I wish we was not drinking at all it’s absolutely fine, also because yes, from a health perspective it’s hard to argue that getting drunk does good to anyone. On the contrary reading something like “it’s 2012 all over again” piss me off a bit, because doing this is like making a medical diagnosis based on a bunch of videos and no actual information.

And just to be clear I don’t want to be a censor of the forum nor say that what I think is the absolute truth, I’m just expressing my opinion explaining what piss me off once in a while reading this forum.

10 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Maybe my standards are a little different but I'd say this conversation has mostly been respectful. I know that sometimes people go too far, but this doesn't seem particularly invasive. You're right that having a discussion about whether or not he's allowed to get drunk and how much beer is too much (there's never too much ha) isn't right, but it's also understandable that people are sharing their feelings about it because I think there's nothing that weird about being concerned when we know he's struggled with it in the past. Obviously being concerned isn't an excuse to pry into his personal life, but I hope that's not what we're doing ;)

I am not necessarily talking about this last bit of the conversation, and I agree with you that each one of us has different sensibilities on the topic, but every time a picture of Billie with a beer emerges the “2012 comparison” game starts, also in this thread, and that’s one of the things that bugs me.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I am not necessarily talking about this last bit of the conversation, and I agree with you that each one of us has different sensibilities on the topic, but every time a picture of Billie with a beer emerges the “2012 comparison” game starts, also in this thread, and that’s one of the things that bugs me.  

Yeah I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. This can still turn out to be completely fine, so "this is like 2012" (meaning he's very fucked up) doesn't really fit as a description of what's currently happening. There are other similarities between FOAM and the Trilogy, though 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah I agree we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. This can still turn out to be completely fine, so "this is like 2012" (meaning he's very fucked up) doesn't really fit as a description of what's currently happening. There are other similarities between FOAM and the Trilogy, though 

Sure, and I would argue against some of the arguments comparing the this era (so far) to the Trilogy, but that’s a totally different topic IMHO. 

• Like 1

I don't want to get too deep into this as I'm procrastinating writing a paper (if you hadn't noticed haha), but this is one of those situations that make me think it's so much easier (and probably better) to enjoy art for what it is and not get involved as a fan. This shouldn't concern us and honestly I wish I could just have fun watching a show and not care about things that have nothing to do with me.

• Like 2

Did they play JoS in slow motion? Holy shit this isn't good. I understand the show's not as important as a big stadium show or whatever but there's still fans that paid to see you play .

1 minute ago, theangel said:

Did they play JoS in slow motion? Holy shit this isn't good. I understand the show's not as important as a big stadium show or whatever but there's still fans that paid to see you play .

I doubt you'd care after 5 hours in the pit :P

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I doubt you'd notice after 5 hours in the pit :P

Fixed :P I would look way worse than anyone on the stage 😄

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Fixed :P I would look way worse than anyone on the stage 😄

Same. I can't imagine standing/jumping/sweating and being confined for that amount of time.

• Like 1