Green Day on Howard Stern (Sirius XM)

Squashie

1 minute ago, MillenniumFan said:

Also still doing this weird "submimimal" thing. Wonder what's up with that?

I bet it's a mispronounciation :lol:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

I bet it's a mispronounciation :lol:

I get it as a one-off (at iHeart), by why repeatedly?

5 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I get it as a one-off (at iHeart), by why repeatedly?

Maybe it’s like once you get it in your head like that it’s hard to undo.

Kevin should have watched from off camera he looks like he’s stalking Billie 😄

American Idiot sounds fantastic! I don't know enough about music to know why the guitars sound especially good but they do :P Billie sounds great singing WMUWSE too.

I wish they played forever now, whatsername, viva la Gloria. There are so many choice. But they must to play ai as usual. Boring. Ai in the past

Billie Joe has made American Idiot a snooze fest in recent years. 

He used to sing it with conviction. Maybe it's time to remove this from the setlist. They've played it so much the feeling is gone. 

4 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Billie Joe has made American Idiot a snooze fest in recent years. 

He used to sing it with conviction. Maybe it's time to remove this from the setlist. They've played it so much the feeling is gone. 

I'm not sure I agree, but this feeling could be due to the fact they feel like they have to play it. I remember reading an interview where they talked about their setlist and they said they couldn't even imagine not playing AI because it's such a huge hit and it's something that a lot people, especially those who haven't seen them before, expect to hear. 

Kevin rocking out in the corner was my favorite part! :lol:

And I disagree that it's become a snoozefest.  The performance at Monza during RevRad is my all time favorite performance of it.

56 minutes ago, Jorgemas said:

I wish they played forever now, whatsername, viva la Gloria. There are so many choice. But they must to play ai as usual. Boring. Ai in the past

With all respect, so are all the songs you listed, in the past that is .

17 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I'm not sure I agree, but this feeling could be due to the fact they feel like they have to play it. I remember reading an interview where they talked about their setlist and they said they couldn't even imagine not playing AI because it's such a huge hit and it's something that a lot people, especially those who haven't seen them before, expect to hear. 

I think it's the kind of song that must be in the setlist. 
I would prefer other songs to cut off, like Hitchin a Ride, When I come Around etc 
I would replacing them with other stuff they played less 

1 minute ago, Melodramfool said:

I think it's the kind of song that must be in the setlist. 
I would prefer other songs to cut off, like Hitchin a Ride, When I come Around etc 
I would replacing them with other stuff they played less 

Eh I think they could go without it, honestly. They've been playing it since the release of the album. They could stand to give it a break. But if they really want to keep it, yeah they should cut out some of the Dookie stuff or the other AI songs they play. They could get rid of JOS instead. Great song, but I could deal with hearing something else.

55 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

With all respect, so are all the songs you listed, in the past that is .

I mean they’re not letting go the past fame, not songs. They have 13 albums and they playing 2 from ai only because they don’t want to be forget. Ai was great at that period but now it overplayed and don’t bring any emotions 

1 hour ago, Montclare said:

Kevin rocking out in the corner was my favorite part! :lol:

And I disagree that it's become a snoozefest.  The performance at Monza during RevRad is my all time favorite performance of it.

That was a pretty good performance of it. There hasn't been many of this caliber for this song as of late though. I also don't like how they deliver the final verse in acapella or how they do the extended solo on it now. Takes a 3 minute song to almost 7 minutes. I don't mind taking some time to get the crowd involved but balance is key there. 

I remember Mike going on offense when comments were made about their setlists and management of time. As a musician I get where he's coming from but it also leads me to the point where I can agree with fans and see the value in changing it up a tad. King For A Day is stale. Keep the antics change the song. Maybe Blood Sex & Booze? 

The classic rock/metal medley has to go. Pick a song to cover and cover it as a whole. Also throw in something like Espionage or Last Ride In. Do something new like an instrumental! Realistically you may have like 4 extra mins in hand here. Isn't that the length of 2 new songs? Cool throw them in!

14 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Also throw in something like Espionage or Last Ride In

I like your idea here.
I think instead of having The Good the Bad and the Ugly mixed with Sprach Zarathustra when Green Day come on stage it would be cool to hear Last Ride In or even Song of The Century.

1 hour ago, kaylubd said:

Eh I think they could go without it, honestly. They've been playing it since the release of the album. They could stand to give it a break. But if they really want to keep it, yeah they should cut out some of the Dookie stuff or the other AI songs they play. They could get rid of JOS instead. Great song, but I could deal with hearing something else.

I think they could go without it too. But it's such a classic
And god, cut off AI but don't touch Jesus Of Suburbia as it's my favorite 😂

22 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I like your idea here.
I think instead of having The Good the Bad and the Ugly mixed with Sprach Zarathustra when Green Day come on stage it would be cool to hear Last Ride In or even Song of The Century.

Some small changes can go a long way. In regards to American Idiot it's that attitude people have that it MUST be part of the show. I rather miss it than get it played with no energy. They need to focus on what's going to compliment the show. 

I'm a huge Rush fan and for years they swore against playing Closer To The Heart. The first Rush tour I saw was the first tour without that song. Kept seeing them and seeing them and they never played it. I saw their last Toronto show and they played it. Awesome moment and they actually played it cause they felt like it. 

1 minute ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Some small changes can go a long way. In regards to American Idiot it's that attitude people have that it MUST be part of the show. I rather miss it than get it played with no energy. They need to focus on what's going to compliment the show. 

I'm a huge Rush fan and for years they swore against playing Closer To The Heart. The first Rush tour I saw was the first tour without that song. Kept seeing them and seeing them and they never played it. I saw their last Toronto show and they played it. Awesome moment and they actually played it cause they felt like it. 

Yes this feeling when you wait to hear a song for sooooo long and they finally did it while you're there.
I'm still waiting for the moment that I'm gonna heard Murder City live.

4 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

That's kind of like when I saw The Cure and they played "The Top" for the first time in like 34 years! It was such a special moment and I would love for Green Day to pull something like that. Like play "Misery" or "Blood, Sex, and Booze" or even a throwback to the trilogy would be fun.

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Yes this feeling when you wait to hear a song for sooooo long and they finally did it while you're there.
I'm still waiting for the moment that I'm gonna heard Murder City live.

one that I have not seen as well but would enjoy immensely. Waiting is the other one. Toronto didn't get a leg 1 show but Hamilton did. I couldn't make the commute out there due to health reasons. 

I'll say this, I understand them leaning to Dookie and AI for the setlist but at the last show they leaned on them way too heavily for leg 2 of Rev Rad. They've been actively omitting Insomniac and 21cb which makes me scratch my head. For Insomniac they keep leaning on the same song and the same for 21cb. While Nimrod typically gets 3-4 songs played a night by the band they're always falling on the same 3-4 songs. Sometimes they'll take out Nice Guys Finish Last and put in Scattered. 

Also, not even one trilogy song played at all. Not even Stay The Night. Obviously there's only so much time and so many songs that they can play a night. They play 26 a night on average. When bands go on tour they typically rehearse 40 songs at a time. That's a good opportunity for rotations throughout the tour. ROTATE GUYS PLEASE ROTATE!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, kaylubd said:

That's kind of like when I saw The Cure and they played "The Top" for the first time in like 34 years! It was such a special moment and I would love for Green Day to pull something like that. Like play "Misery" or "Blood, Sex, and Booze" or even a throwback to the trilogy would be fun.

I missed your comment as I was typing my last. Just want to say The Cure is awesome and like Green Day they have such a huge repertoire so it's hard to play everything. 

For me, that special moment that I'm wishing for on this upcoming tour is Stuck With Me. Last time it was played was Irving Plaza 2012. 

Does anyone remember when GD changed their setlist and started playing old songs on leg 1 in Canada (I believe in Ottawa) in 2009? It was actually due to a note that I wrote with my band that we gave to Billie Joe at the Hamilton show on July 16, 2009. The next night they started playing songs off of the setlist we wrote on the note. Leg 2 they started to play even more which was awesome.  

Just now getting around to watching these performances and gosh darn they sound amazing!  

The only weird thing is that I'm used to seeing Billie working the crowd and he's not doing it here for obvious reasons (but it would be HILARIOUS if he tried to work Howard Stern and his minions, could you imagine?!!!)   

Onto more serious things, 

I really loved hearing them discuss "Wake Me Up When September Ends".   When my grandfather died in September of 2006, I will never forget my mother referencing this song with tears in her eyes while we were driven to the graveside.  And she has since passed herself.     Man.  :(     Green Day has been something my whole family has shared, which is really special.   My mom died shortly before 21st Breakdown and....man.   I know she got to hear something from that album, either the title track or "Know your Enemy".   

Man.  

This song.   

Archived