Green Day on Howard Stern (Sirius XM)

Squashie

5 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Green Day's approach with FOAM is escapism if you ask me: "Fuck it all and dance."🤷‍♀️

Billie (per the transcription) said FOAM is escapism... 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This interview is really interesting.  I love these goofballs but just sometimes I wish they could talk about some stuff seriously so we can have a clearer understanding of what they are thinking.  Hadn’t thought about it at all but I guess Billie has never written about having lots of money, quite suddenly and young too but it’s very like him to mull that over for years before actually writing about it.  I do believe a lot of it is about the internet/social media/short attention span and disposability of everything bit can see also that there’s a “what else can you do, fuck it all and dance” feel.  Also, worth pointing out he will write about social media from his own point of view, so his age and being a parent will influence that.  This is the dance album so far!

36 minutes ago, DadBod said:

😂 Good thing you can go buy another copy 

And then eat it again after they actually go indie? Things we do for green day...:lol:

56 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I always got a mafia type vibe from the chorus of the song. However, that's someone a personal relation considering the mafia has now infiltrated the city again. 

If by mafia you mean the “Uh huh come on honey, uh huh count your money...” part sounds like the record execs talking back and telling him to just relax, lie back and enjoy it then yeah. 

I can't wait to hear this interview and hopefully see some of it.  Howard is such a fanboy and gushes all over them...I love it.  :wub:

39 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

If by mafia you mean the “Uh huh come on honey, uh huh count your money...” part sounds like the record execs talking back and telling him to just relax, lie back and enjoy it then yeah. 

lying in a bed of blood and money

"Lying in a bed of blood and money" is the one thing I love about Father of All. I interpret it as acknowledging that being rich means inadvertently contributing to a toxic society, where the "blood" of the poor upholds the upper class.

6 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

lying in a bed of blood and money

He explained that line in an instagram comment. It went back to the days he’d pass out and wake up with a bloody mouth and chipped teeth but at the same time he was getting rich. The song is about how weird that idea is (what he said to Howard Stern how it felt weird to have money). He was literally lying in a bed of blood and money. Just the bizarre realities of his life.

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He explained that line in an instagram comment. It went back to the days he’d pass out and wake up with a bloody mouth and chipped teeth but at the same time he was getting rich. The song is about how weird that idea is (what he said to Howard Stern how it felt weird to have money). He was literally lying in a bed of blood and money. Just the bizarre realities of his life.

I know it isn't about what I said. I clearly stated it's how I relate to it based on the environment I'm surrounded by and the things I'm seeing every day. 

8 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

"Lying in a bed of blood and money" is the one thing I love about Father of All. I interpret it as acknowledging that being rich means inadvertently contributing to a toxic society, where the "blood" of the poor upholds the upper class.

I really love this interpretation, but it seems way beyond the level of reflection Billie is capable of. 

11 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I really love this interpretation, but it seems way beyond the level of reflection Billie is capable of. 

I'm not sure. He did grow up in poverty, so it's possible he's capable of it. It could also refer to his own "blood," like blood, sweat and tears, to get to the point where he's "lying in a bed of blood and money." The song feels too sarcastic and vehement to be a simple commentary on his past rather than criticising something he benefits from, which I assume is at least directed at the industry.

Being a Green Day fan = analysing a song I don't even like that much :lol: 

29 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

I'm not sure. He did grow up in poverty, so it's possible he's capable of it. It could also refer to his own "blood," like blood, sweat and tears, to get to the point where he's "lying in a bed of blood and money." The song feels too sarcastic and vehement to be a simple commentary on his past rather than criticising something he benefits from, which I assume is at least directed at the industry.

Being a Green Day fan = analysing a song I don't even like that much :lol: 

I hope so, but since a certain collab, it's seemed to me that he's less sensitive to reality than I thought :P But you're right that's there's clear sarcasm in that line, so that a good start :lol:

46 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

I agree. For me it's not even the fact of being rich or not. All the money we get is linked to the poorest people's abuse around the world, in a way or another. Work, poverty in certain areas, and even wars, that benefits to the richest countries, whether we want it or not. Just talking about making up the cellphones... all that is needed to make them. I think that feeling personally guilty for any of it is an easy trap though. We are not deciders, we are bearing it morally. Making our voices heard about it is good.

I didn't feel that Billie speaks about his own self only for being rich. It's the way money currently works in a general way. In his case he didn't get it by stealing from workers but only by the way of people buying to hear him... so I hope he doesn't feel guilty or anything for being rich. If it allows him to keep his freedom of movement, and bring people happy like he does with music, I would be sad if he really felt bad about it. Almost selfishly, I want him to feel good and keep his mind on the music, since it does me so much good!

Thanks for the interview transcription, I really want to hear it or see it now :wub:

I'm not gonna read that transcript of the interview, I'd rather wait. Looking forward to when its posted somewhere :D

1 minute ago, jetsrule128 said:

Was jeff there or Kevin ? 

If it was Kevin, fuck Kevin.

It it was Jeff, fuck Kevin.

:P

2 hours ago, DadBod said:

Billie (per the transcription) said FOAM is escapism... 

Yeah okay. I think the songs we got so far made the escapism thing pretty clear too.

I just still don't agree with Howard Sterns statement that no one is making protest songs anymore. Just because Green Day decided not to make protest songs anymore and go party&yolo again doesn't mean no one else is doing it 😛

15 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Yeah okay. I think the songs we got so far made the escapism thing pretty clear too.

I just still don't agree with Howard Sterns statement that no one is making protest songs anymore. Just because Green Day decided not to make protest songs anymore and go party&yolo again doesn't mean no one else is doing it 😛

Maybe he meant "mainstream" protest? I don't know. The transcription was not that great and in a way hard to follow who was saying what the topic being discussed. I'm hoping it will be uploaded soon and someone will download it then upload it here.

48 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I saw a tumblr post saying it was Kevin

If he sleeps with Billie and ties him up in the bed then it's all good to me. If he doesn't then fuck him :P

3 hours ago, The Bellie said:

If he sleeps with Billie and ties him up in the bed then it's all good to me. If he doesn't then fuck him :P

I mean...would it surprise you :P

Archived