Green Day on Howard Stern (Sirius XM)

Squashie

21 minutes ago, DJ Rosstar said:

They did foamf, ai, and wmuwse

How long were they on and did you record it? 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah WMUWSE? Now that's quite something...

For some reason they've been playing that a lot less recently.

1 hour ago, DadBod said:

How long were they on and did you record it? 

All Stern shows are on the Sirius app live and then available shortly afterward for on demand streaming and download.  You have to have a Howard 100 eligible subscription though.  They also have video of most if you have the video subscription.

2 hours ago, chjmiller said:

All Stern shows are on the Sirius app live and then available shortly afterward for on demand streaming and download.  You have to have a Howard 100 eligible subscription though.  They also have video of most if you have the video subscription.

I understand that you have to have the premium service. I’m hoping someone here will download it and then either post it in the downloads section OR send it to Todd so he can post it. 

I'd pay for the subscription, but I'm worried my software wouldn't be able to download the video since you have to be logged in to view it.

I’d be good with just audio. Howard’s interview with them are always good. 

video is just a bonus (imo).

1 minute ago, DadBod said:

I’d be good with just audio. Howard’s interview with them are always good. 

video is just a bonus (imo).

Agreed. Audio alone would be worth it. And sometimes they release video to the public sites anyway.

2 hours ago, chjmiller said:

When you say they also have the video, do you mean they have the video available to watch right now? If so, I may drop $15 for a month's subscription and try to download it. 

6 minutes ago, Jorgemas said:

I hate that they keep play american idiot

One of their biggest singles? Yeah, weird :P 

I'll listen tomorrow no matter what (I actually have a Sirius XM subscription) but does anyone know if they did a long interview or was it more focused on the musical performance? Stern doesn't even always have musicians perform songs when they're on his show, they usually just get interviewed, so I imagine there was an interview too

1 minute ago, tdlyon said:

I'll listen tomorrow no matter what (I actually have a Sirius XM subscription) but does anyone know if they did a long interview or was it more focused on the musical performance? Stern doesn't even always have musicians perform songs when they're on his show, they usually just get interviewed, so I imagine there was an interview too

No clue. Seems like DJ Rosstar and Adorkable were the only two people in this thread who were able to listen to it. I really hope they make the recording public soon. This is really eating at me, not being able to listen to this. 

It was 25 minutes long.  It was pretty good.  Stern always likes to ask musicians about meanings behind songs and their writing process so there were some of those questions.  Just before they came on he talked to Demi Moore and asked her about being on letterman when she was promoting striptease.  I remembered they were letterman for that same show and interestingly stern knew that too and asked them about it.  Also asked bj about Billie Eilish because she talked about him when she was on.

You might be able to do the trial: https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm-tryfree

9 minutes ago, chjmiller said:

It was 25 minutes long.  It was pretty good.  Stern always likes to ask musicians about meanings behind songs and their writing process so there were some of those questions.  Just before they came on he talked to Demi Moore and asked her about being on letterman when she was promoting striptease.  I remembered they were letterman for that same show and interestingly stern knew that too and asked them about it.  Also asked bj about Billie Eilish because she talked about him when she was on.

You might be able to do the trial: https://www.siriusxm.com/sxm-tryfree

I have the trial, but it doesn't include the on demand video or the Stern channels

From facebook: "Green Day live on tour" to give the proper credit..

Daily Rundown of the Howard Stern Show via MarkFriggin:
Green Day Visits. 10/09/19. 1:25pm
Howard came back and said he has the great band Green Day in the studio. He said when he has great bands like this on the show he gets really charged up. He said this sis what he thinks he should be doing. He said he should be with them. He welcomed the guys, Tre, Billie and Mike to the show. Howard said he's known them for so long. Billie Joe said he remembers him coming to a show in like 1996. Howard said he got to see them doing a pre-show warm up and they were beating the shit out of each other. He said it was nuts. <>Howard said the guys are there to promote their new album ''Father of All'' and asked if it's just Father of All or is Father Of All Mother Fuckers. Billie Joe said it's Father Of All Mother Fuckers. Howard said they have to say ''Father Of All...'' on radio apparently.

Howard asked who the father of all mother fuckers is. Billie Joe said that he thought of someone who could be the father of all mother fuckers. He said you can use your imagination for who that might be with everything that's going on right now.

Howard asked if Billie Joe writes that stuff down in a journal. Billie Joe said he does. Howard asked if they have more fun now or back in 1987 writing songs. He said back then there was no pressure. He said now they must have 10 times more pressure behind it. Billie Joe said it's always different. He said he thinks there's actually less pressure because you don't have to wait. He said you can just put stuff out.

Howard asked if this is the last album they're doing for the record company. Billie Joe said that it might be. He said they have to see what they offer them to keep them on. Howard said he must want them to back the truck up to them. Tre hit a bell and said that's their lawyer Howard Stern.

Howard asked if they could walk away and just put their own stuff out. Mike said they could do that. He said they can record 5 songs and put it out themselves. Howard said the record company doesn't want them doing that. Mike said there's digital and then hard records. Howard said they will get pissed if you put it out for free. Billie Joe said it's kind of free now. Howard said they are open to staying with the record company. Billie Joe said sure. He said the way things are structured now is different. He said they have always made albums and they're all about that. He said if they want to put something out like a single they don't have a contractual obligation to have it on an album.

Howard asked if they like what has happened with technology and this freedom they could have. Billie Joe said he likes it the new way. He said you can do it both ways. He said the fans from the Dookie era like to buy albums. He said they want to read the lyrics and look at the art. He said they generate new fans who want to download stuff and gobble it up. He said he has no issues with it.

Howard said he's going to start a band so he has to know the process of writing a song. He said he heard they will just get together and jam. He asked if they get together and just play. Billie Joe said he had a beat he wanted to do with Father of All Mother Fuckers. He said he went in with Tre and recorded in a garage basically. Howard asked how he tells Tre what he wants. Billie Joe said he just kind of beat boxes something with his mouth. Tre said he's a good drummer too so he'll get on the drums and play it for him. He said that works too. Billie Joe said that Mike will come in and play around with stuff too.

Howard said when they were done with American Idiot Billie Joe cried. Billie Joe said he was recording a song for the album. Howard said it has to be exhausting. Billie Joe said it's your brain working for a couple of years. He said he was kind of listening to the song and sonically it was a bittersweet moment.

Howard said no one is doing protest music anymore. He said they're like the last of a dying breed. He said no one is making protest songs. Billie Joe said he thinks we're so bombarded with all of this different information and negative stuff. He said it's hard to feel inspired by something. He said if you're watching the news channels and seeing the negativity and the grossness of where we're at it's hard to feel inspired. He said he thinks there's more escapism now.

Howard said he's been watching MSNBC lately. He said there are different realities on FOX and MSNBC. He said he's not sure how we're on such a different page. He said music has to be an escape from all of that.

Billie Joe said Father of All Mother Fuckers is about escapism and how fucked up things are. He said we're in a new kind of depression right now.

Howard said Billie Joe is in another band that just does covers. Billie Joe said they have friends over to just play covers. Howard asked if they go on the road at all. Mike said you'd have to come to Oakland to see that. Howard asked if this cover band is in clubs or not. Billie Joe said they will come to New York to do it some day. Howard asked what songs they cover. Billie Joe said they cover anything with Dancing With Myself or some Bowie songs. He said they cover Suffragette City. Howard said that riff gets him. They played that riff for Howard.

Howard said this is a great way to end their trip. He said they're going to perform ''American Idiot'' for them. Howard had the guys go right into the song.

After the song Howard said that was great. He said it looks like so much fun. He sake if it's hard to do at this time of morning. Billie Joe said a little bit. Howard said he sounded great. Howard said Tre is so great too. He asked him to do the break in the song a little bit. Tre did it for him. Howard said they're so great live. He said they must be aware of how they stand when they're playing. He said it's so god damn macho.

Howard said he was thinking about how they have their hair. He said it's so great. Howard said he thanks god that he has his hair. He said just imagine what he'd look like without hair. The guys laughed. Billie said he has a giant head himself.

Howard said Jason and Billie trade off lead guitar. He said it seems kind of effortless. Billie Joe said they met Jason on the first Green Day tour in 1990. He said they're friends and they weave in and out of the stuff. Howard asked if he was nervous coming into the band. Jason said of course he was.

Howard asked if the guys are like brothers in a way. Mike said he thinks they're closer than they used to be. He said they've chosen to stick together this long. Howard said they have so much history. Billie Joe said he thinks that sets them apart from some of the new bands. He said they've been together for 30 some years. Howard said some bands can't stay together.

Howard said the guys have a tour they're doing with Weezer and Fall Out Boy. He said it sounds like a lot of fun. He said it would be cool if the Stones and Beatles went out together. Mike said they've been friends with Weezer for a really long time. He said it's going to be a lot of hanging out and going bowling. Howard asked if that's what he imagines. Mike said they do rent out a movie theater to watch a movie. He said it's a great way to sneak liquor into a theater. He said they can do that with water parks too. Howard said that sounds like what Elvis used to do.

Howard said the new album ''Father Of All'' will be out in February. Howard asked what they need to know about the title song. Billie Joe said that he wrote about money for the first time. Howard asked what they think about money since they have a lot of it now. Billie Joe said it feels weird. He said they come from such broke backgrounds. He said his dad was a truck driver and his brother was a plumber. He said to have compared to having not is such a trip. Howard asked if he was ashamed of it and asking why me? Billie Joe said it's just kind of weird. Howard said if you think about it for Green Day money is the last taboo. He said he was always embarrassed to read about how much money he made. He said he doesn't want people being jealous.

Howard asked if they're going to do the new song. Billie Joe said they are. Howard asked if he knows the lyrics. Billie Joe said he thinks he does. He said he forgets lyrics sometimes on stage. He said he might need a Teleprompter.

Howard said they had Billie Eilish on the show and she really idolizes them. Howard said Billie said she didn't want to be answering questions. She wanted to hear Billie Joe talking. Billie Joe said that Finneas is great too. Howard said he's so talented. Howard said they found out that Billie was conceived by in vitro and she didn't know that when her mother revealed it on the show. Billie Joe said she was home spun and home schooled. Howard said exactly.

Howard said the guys are going to perform the title track from their new album ''Father Of All...'' They went into the song after that.

After the song Howard said that was beautiful. Howard asked if it's hard to perform without a guitar in his hand. Billie Joe said not at all. He said he likes to do that just to sing. Howard said he's watching Jason perform. He asked how long it would take to perform like that. Jason said he could have Howard up and going n 4 months or so. Howard said that song was just beautiful. Jason said he's been playing since he was 9.

Billie Joe asked if Howard had a band called The Dorks or something. Howard said it was The Losers. He joked that how dare he not know his band name.

Howard said it's amazing that they go bowling to have fun now. He said that's the orgy of today. He said you used to fuck girls but now it's bowling. Mike said they still have their balls in their hands. Tre said you can only fit 3 fingers in a bowling ball. Howard said god knows where these fingers have been.

Howard asked Billie Joe if he likes the Prince soundtrack for Batman. Billie Joe said he remembers it being pretty good. Howard said he thinks it was the best work he ever did. Robin said that's not true. Howard asked Billie Joe about wanting to channel Prince when he did this song. Billie Joe said he didn't want to sound like himself. He said he wanted to sound different. He said he told their producer not to laugh when he tried this new sound.

Howard said he can picture Tre laughing at him when he did that. Tre said he loved it. Howard said he likes that. He said as a lead singer you have to be willing to try new styles.

Howard said he's looking forward to this new album. He said go to GreenDay.com to pre-order the album. <>Howard said the name of their tour is the Hella Mega Tour. He asked who came up with that. Billie Joe said Mike did. Howard said the tour is sponsored by Harley Davidson. He asked if anyone rides one. Billie Joe said they all do now. Mike said he has one. He said Mike rides him around on his. Tre said he has fallen off a bike. He said he fell of a BMW once.

Howard said this trip to L.A. was a big thing for them. He said he can't think of a better way to end it. He said he really appreciates them coming in. He said he knows the audience is flipping out over it.

Howard said the guys are going to wrap it up with the song ''Wake Me Up When September Ends.'' Howard said he knows this song means a lot to Billie who wrote it because when he was 10 years old he lost his father and his mother told him to come out of his room. He said Billie told his mom to wake him up when September ends. He said it's something that stayed with him all that time. Billie Joe said it's something that just stuck with him. He said when you're that young it's like life starts at year zero again. He said he doesn't remember his father that well. He said he's not sure if he was close to him or not. He said he knows he was a good man. Howard said his mother was alone now too so that must have put a burden on him. Billie Joe said a lot of them were rallying around her and being supportive.

Howard asked if he still thinks about the line being about his father. He said he must channel his father the first few times. He asked if he still think about his father. Billie Joe said he thinks about him every day. He said it's the elephant in the room all the time. He said he avoided writing about him for many years and then he had a breakthrough. He said it felt good to do that. Howard said he's going to let them do the song now. They went right into the song ''Wake Me Up When September Ends.''

After the song Howard said that was some fuckin' riff. He asked if they knew they nailed it when they laid it down. Billie Joe said he thought it was a breakthrough as a song writer. He said they had the song on the CD and he ran over to Tre's house with it. He said he did a demo of it for him to hear. Howard asked if he's in the song writing hall of fame. Billie Joe said he didn't know there was one. Howard said it's remarkable that they've been this prolific.

Howard said Demi Moore was on the show earlier. He said she was on Letterman in the bikini and Green Day followed her on that show. Billie Joe said he was thinking about that. Howard asked if they got to say hi to her. Billie Joe said he didn't get a chance.

Howard said this tour is going to be amazing. He said that they didn't get to say hi to the rest of the band. He quickly mentioned them. Howard said he remembers playing records when he started out in radio and he's thinking about how great it is to be listening to these guys performing there with him. He said he's getting emotional. Howard said he can't think of a better way to go out. Howard wrapped up, gave the guys some plugs and ended the show around 2:15pm.
*Rundown via http://marksfriggin.com/news.htm#wed

👀 Watch for videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/HOWARDTV/videos

*Photo via stevesievers
Yes! #GreenDay on #HowardStern !
Oct 9, 2019
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3aU-bZpt-s/

@Im.a.basket.case Thank you so much for this but Howard Stern and Sirius WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IF YOU DON'T TELL ANYONE AND THEY CANT HEAR IT, sorry, getting tired of the usual bullshit around different regions, and having to pay for radio etc etc.   😬

3 minutes ago, jengd said:

@Im.a.basket.case Thank you so much for this but Howard Stern and Sirius WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IF YOU DON'T TELL ANYONE AND THEY CANT HEAR IT, sorry, getting tired of the usual bullshit around different regions, and having to pay for radio etc etc.   😬

Yeah, in 2016/17 I did a free trial and was able to listen to the upload (and probably able to download it too) without having to pay extra. I can't even tap into my parents XM account because they don't have the "premium" package.

i signed up for the premium free trial. They haven't uploaded the green day interview yet under the Howard Stern tab...

Sounds like they might not be done with Warner...this would end the speculation on a troll album...

1 hour ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

Howard said no one is doing protest music anymore. He said they're like the last of a dying breed. He said no one is making protest songs. Billie Joe said he thinks we're so bombarded with all of this different information and negative stuff. He said it's hard to feel inspired by something. He said if you're watching the news channels and seeing the negativity and the grossness of where we're at it's hard to feel inspired. He said he thinks there's more escapism now.

Part of it is how it is received by fans and critics. Fans and critics will be the first to make an online comment or go out and support some bogus "protest" but if a band lays out how it really is out there then they're "preachy or too political". 

We live in one of the worst political eras from an activist perspective. Back in the 60's it was Mario Savio Vs The Machine. Now the people are the machine. 

16 minutes ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

Sounds like they might not be done with Warner...this would end the speculation on a troll album...

Yeah what’s interesting about these remarks is it would essentially make all this talk about leaving Warner a negotiation tactic. We wondered why they would be so public about it now and the answer is it makes Warner nervous and they want to come back with a better offer to keep them. Sounds like they’re open to it.  

I wonder if the delay of this album sparked off the idea that they could threaten to leave now and get better terms next time and the ability to release music when they want to. If not, then they go. 

There’s a lot to unpack in this interview but another thing was Billie talking about how FOAMF is about him having a lot of money for the first time. I wish he’d made that clearer in his first notes with the release because when you listen now that actually makes sense.  It describes a time when he might have felt like a stoned, drunken mess, life was crazy, there was all this pressure, he didn’t know who to trust and he suddenly had all this money.  I need him to sit down and rationally explain all his songs to me this way instead of all the crazy Rev talk. Now do it for FRA Billie please.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There’s a lot to unpack in this interview but another thing was Billie talking about how FOAMF is about him having a lot of money for the first time. I wish he’d made that clearer in his first notes with the release because when you listen now that actually makes sense.  It describes a time when he might have felt like a stoned, drunken mess, life was crazy, there was all this pressure, he didn’t know who to trust and he suddenly had all this money.  I need him to sit down and rationally explain all his songs to me this way instead of all the crazy Rev talk. Now do it for FRA Billie please.

I always got a mafia type vibe from the chorus of the song. However, that's someone a personal relation considering the mafia has now infiltrated the city again. 

Hahaha they literally pulled the "look we're so punk thing" to get a better deal. That's so Green Day. I ate my Nimrod prematurely.

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I ate my Nimrod prematurely.

😂 Good thing you can go buy another copy 

1 hour ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

I think it's just not true that there's no protest music anymore. Listen to Roger Waters' "Is This The Life We Really Want" and we'll talk again. And that guy is a 76 year old rebel, just sayin'.

Green Day's approach with FOAM is escapism if you ask me: "Fuck it all and dance."🤷‍♀️

Archived