New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, michael1989 said:

It's easy. 

"Kiht teh dawg wen da wistle blos will YOU'RE A LIAR!"

Will from the American Idiot musical?   OH MAN I KNEW IT !!! 

This album is the story of Will and his exciting adventures after he stopped hanging out with Jimmy!  

I gotta go read the lyrics.  

26 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

A snippet of FRA just played when Robert Downey Jr. won a People’s Choice Award! :blink:

Did that air on NBC?  

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Did that air on NBC?  

NBC, The E! Network and Bravo if I recall.

I caught it on Bravo.

4 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

A snippet of FRA just played when Robert Downey Jr. won a People’s Choice Award! :blink:

oh of course Robert Downey Jr... Guy gets a second chance why can't I have a third?

3 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

It's around 1:10.

Anyone else think there is still a possibility of a slower song on Father of All? 

Short but slow. 

44 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Anyone else think there is still a possibility of a slower song on Father of All? 

Short but slow. 

Possibly but not from the way they’ve spoken about the whole album.  I can’t wait for song with Joan Jett, I hope for an awesome duet and great video. 

54 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Short but slow. 

Not unless there’s such a thing as a slow punch in the face

8 minutes ago, jengd said:

Possibly but not from the way they’ve spoken about the whole album.  I can’t wait for song with Joan Jett, I hope for an awesome duet and great video. 

I think it will be an album with fast songs only.
Where did you hear anything about a song with Joan Jett?

4 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I think it will be an album with fast songs only.
Where did you hear anything about a song with Joan Jett?

It’s in the Kerrang article. It’s not with Joan Jett, it samples Joan Jett’s song Do You Want to Touch Me

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s in the Kerrang article. It’s not with Joan Jett, it samples Joan Jett’s song Do You Want to Touch Me

Rats, don't remember that bit, was hoping for a true collaboration.

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not unless there’s such a thing as a slow punch in the face

That sounds like something Billie would say to describe a song or an album.   

"it's like a slow punch to the face, ya know?"   

when you're in a fight, everything goes in slow motion, no matter how ADD you are.   :)

17 hours ago, jengd said:

What's this about Joan Jett?   They are sampling her song or something?  

Ok, I had to go in search of what was actually said about this as I had forgotten where or when what was said. It's in the Kerrang interview and the quote is "Nevertheless, the country's leader has left Green Day feeling incredibly unsettled  - and its a topic they address in Bulletproof Backpack, a song that for the first time ever, sees Billie Joe sample another musician's work (Joan Jett Do You Wanna Touch Me)".

18 hours ago, jengd said:

Ok, I had to go in search of what was actually said about this as I had forgotten where or when what was said. It's in the Kerrang interview and the quote is "Nevertheless, the country's leader has left Green Day feeling incredibly unsettled  - and its a topic they address in Bulletproof Backpack, a song that for the first time ever, sees Billie Joe sample another musician's work (Joan Jett Do You Wanna Touch Me)".

Guess Brutal Love got erased from existence? 

23 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I believe that was not a declared sampling, as Still Breathing it just credits other songwriters due to the melody similarities.

16 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I believe that was not a declared sampling, as Still Breathing it just credits other songwriters due to the melody similarities.

When you have to clear it and give someone else writing credit its a sample

Dirty Rotten Bastards also has a sample from the opera Carmen 

Warning is a sample of Kinks 

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

When you have to clear it and give someone else writing credit its a sample

Dirty Rotten Bastards also has a sample from the opera Carmen 

Warning is a sample of Kinks 

Oh ok, I thought by sampling it meant the reuse/remix of actual song portions (Hip-hop/electronic music style) not an adaptation/reinterpretation of a melody. But probably this is a too narrow definition and not what we are getting :) 

Edit: actually I am looking into this and when a sample is recreated it is not really a sample anymore. We can talk about sample only when a song portion is actually reused, and this has an impact especially from a legal perspective. From what I read, if you recreate a melody or whatever, you will just need the publisher permission, and to credit the author (Brutal Love and Sam Cooke for example), it’s the same as covering a song and putting it in a record. While for a sample you would actually need the copyright holder permission. 
I’m really curious to see if this is actually the case, or if they just “covered” the melody.

They say it's the first time they're sampling so I guess it's a real sample not "oh fuck we ripped someone off we gotta credit them to avoid a lawsuit"

Yeah I also took sample to mean an actual clip of the original recording inserted into their song, like a line or a riff.  They’ve never done that.  Pinhead Gunpowder did that with Surrender in the beginning of Losers of the Year for example. 

12 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

and Still Breathing 😂

9 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

They say it's the first time they're sampling so I guess it's a real sample not "oh fuck we ripped someone off we gotta credit them to avoid a lawsuit"

He's sampled before Loser of the Year - Pinhead Gunpowder

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

He's sampled before Loser of the Year - Pinhead Gunpowder

True... I don't think he'd count that as green day though. Why miss the opportunity to brag about something when almost no one knows it's not entirely true :lol:

Don't even know who sampled over the other, the struts or Billie, their song with the verse that resembles Still Breathing's has come out in 2014 and Billie says to have written it in 2014. Anyway, I heard it live in Seville and it's just a song that goes in a whole other direction musically than SB. Nothing really alike even in the way of singing the "sampled" parts. Same goes for the song Brutal Love was allegedly inspired by. Nothing reminded me of it when I listened to that song.

So anyway despite where the inspiration comes from and if it's sometimes most focused on one particular song, the songs that come as a result each have their own dimension and identity and to me that's what matters

9 hours ago, The Bellie said:

Don't even know who sampled over the other, the struts or Billie, their song with the verse that resembles Still Breathing's has come out in 2014 and Billie says to have written it in 2014. Anyway, I heard it live in Seville and it's just a song that goes in a whole other direction musically than SB. Nothing really alike even in the way of singing the "sampled" parts. Same goes for the song Brutal Love was allegedly inspired by. Nothing reminded me of it when I listened to that song.

So anyway despite where the inspiration comes from and if it's sometimes most focused on one particular song, the songs that come as a result each have their own dimension and identity and to me that's what matters

The Struts are credited in writing on Still Breathing. Bring it on Home to Me is an extremely similar melody over the 3/4 beat, you can easily sing Brutal Love over the other. 

Archived