New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

22 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

There are certain components that apply to a good "jingle". It needs to be short, catchy, some sort of emotional appeal, a slogan line. Fire Ready Aim meets all these criteria for the NHL. I know it has been said that it was not written for the NHL deal, but it really doesn't sound like it. 

Fair enough, but which commercially successful song from Green Day doesn’t have a catchy melody, emotional message, and slogan line? 
This happens to be actually used for a commercial purpose, but using the same argument I could say that KYE was written for ESPN and NFL. Which is clearly not true. Both songs have a deeper meaning and a surface one, both songs, taking the chorus only, can look like songs about “sport”, but actually aren’t. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

It's less about it being directly said and more of the theme of what people are saying. They say they want experimentation but then prefer RevRad, which is safe and what we've already heard before. They don't directly say they are owed anyway, but they describe in detail exactly how THEY want the new songs to sound and are disappointed when it doesn't fit whatever they drew up in their imagination. It's like people want Green Day to be some contract artist writing music and styles they want to hear. Write your own songs or go listen to the thousands of bands out there that write the type of music you want Green Day to.

Whether RevRad was safe or experimental is subjective. It's also possible for someone to enjoy multiple genres and experiments as well as RevRad.

I don't think anyone is really disappointed because they'd dreamed up ideas of what this should sound like. They're certainly not saying Green Day are obliged to write what they want to hear. There's a difference between someone having ideas they'd like their favourite band to explore and thinking they have to explore them. I'd love to hear an acoustic or electropop album. Does that mean I think they owe me one or that dreaming it up will guarantee future disappointment? That's an obvious no, since I'm not disappointed in this song. Do people dislike Nightlife because they already had an idea they expected Green Day to adhere to, or just because they think it's bad? Everyone will say it's just because it's bad. I like it, but I don't think people who dislike it should go write something better instead of expressing disappointment.

Besides, people probably are already listening to another band instead of this. They're still going to express disappointment because Green Day are their favourite band and they wish they wanted to listen to the new music. We're all invested in Green Day or we wouldn't be posting here, so we should know why people are venting because it all comes from the same love of the band.

If people are really that bothered by negativity, how about opening a positivity only thread? I don't mean that sarcastically, it's a genuine suggestion.

35 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

He is also pushing to the top of the limits of his mid range. He has rarely sung a high A sharp and remained singing around that area. You can definitely hear him straining on 'Fire, Ready, Aim'. I think this is probably another reason people are saying, "Billie doesn't sound like Billie".

Well he said in the Howard Stern interview that he didn't want to sound like himself, he wanted to sound different. Goal achieved I'd say 😂 I get that they want to try new things and sounds, but I agree with @Adorkable that the new songs don't sound that new at all except for the voice. The whole era has a "been there, done that" vibe for me so far, and Billie singing falsetto doesn't change that, and if this is the only thing they could think of to invent a "new" sound, that's not very creative either. But that's just my opinion.

25 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Fair enough, but which commercially successful song from Green Day doesn’t have a catchy melody, emotional message, and slogan line? 
This happens to be actually used for a commercial purpose, but using the same argument I could say that KYE was written for ESPN and NFL. Which is clearly not true. Both songs have a deeper meaning and a surface one, both songs, taking the chorus only, can look like songs about “sport”, but actually aren’t. 

The difference is that this song was actually being used for a commercial purpose from moment 1. 

7 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I totally understand the first part about wanting a “rawer” or harder punk sound, even tho I really enjoy this new stuff I would love that as well :) I dream of an Oi! EP getting released in their upcoming independent phase that will never happen :P 

But can you explain better what you mean with the “iTunes commercial” critique? No sarcasm here, I sincerely would like to understand this cause I hear this argument being repeated over and over and can’t really get it. Given that GD actually recorded a song for an iTunes commercial in the past, I don’t understand what makes these songs particularly “commercial friendly”. 

The song Are You Gonna Be My Girl by the band Jet is what I'm thinking of I can picture people's silhouettes dancing with headphones on for a TV ad. BUT! Are you gonna be my girl isn't a bad song it's just very generic and light rock to me which is fun but when I listen to green day I want sneer and spit and a lil more hardcore but I'm asking a lot of a band that's done that for a long time already.

I actually feel bad about some of my comments only because if some younger or newer fans or any fans for that matter like these new tracks I don't wanna take that away from anyone just cause I'm yearning for more familiar sounding territory. 

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

It's less about it being directly said and more of the theme of what people are saying. They say they want experimentation but then prefer RevRad, which is safe and what we've already heard before. They don't directly say they are owed anyway, but they describe in detail exactly how THEY want the new songs to sound and are disappointed when it doesn't fit whatever they drew up in their imagination. It's like people want Green Day to be some contract artist writing music and styles they want to hear. Write your own songs or go listen to the thousands of bands out there that write the type of music you want Green Day to.

As i stated a million times and I will state it again, they want Dookie 2 , American Idiot 2. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Adorkable said:

The difference is that this song was actually being used for a commercial purpose from moment 1. 

I don’t think that being used from day 1 or day 2 makes a difference in terms of song characteristics and quality.  The know your enemy music video, or a snippet of it, was premiered as a commercial for a basketball match, like one week after the song release. Something not very different from the NHL Wednesday video, and if I remember correctly as part of a partnership with Comcast. 

But I was not trying to counter your argument that this song has been specifically made for a commercial. I don’t think it is, but what I was trying to say is that almost any GD commercially successful song has the potential to be a song used in a commercial, and I don’t think the “garage-ish” sound of this makes it a more “commercial friendly” candidate.

1 hour ago, inthehallwaynow said:

The song Are You Gonna Be My Girl by the band Jet is what I'm thinking of I can picture people's silhouettes dancing with headphones on for a TV ad. BUT! Are you gonna be my girl isn't a bad song it's just very generic and light rock to me which is fun but when I listen to green day I want sneer and spit and a lil more hardcore but I'm asking a lot of a band that's done that for a long time already.

I get this, but GD released a cover of I fought the law as an Apple commercial, I don’t really think the “punkrockness” (forgive me for this horrible word) of a song is what makes it usable for a commercial or not. Of course, platypus and take back could be hardly used in that way, but in the GD catalogue I think they are more the exception than the rule, even more if we look at singles. 

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong, Know your Enemy premiered as a basketball commercial one week BEFORE the release. Basically they announced the entire 21CB era around a basketball commercial. Even worse according to our new standards, clearly a song written with basketball rivalry in mind :P  

8 hours ago, Matt. said:

I did not say “a song was added to the album.”

Another one recorded - I don't know & I don't care - Im just trying to make conversation😖

Maybe I'd be freaking out about FOAM and FRA if it wasn't for Longshot, because the new songs sound similar, but they're not as good lol

7 hours ago, inthehallwaynow said:

I actually feel bad about some of my comments only because if some younger or newer fans or any fans for that matter like these new tracks I don't wanna take that away from anyone just cause I'm yearning for more familiar sounding territory. 

Gotta remember for a lot of us GD's lyrics got us through some hard times - they are like a comfy pair of jeans😎 

Bang! bang! goes the broken glass and

bang! bang! give me fame

fire! fire!, ready, aim

😋

3 singles with with the same freshh

I didn't recieve my digital download of this song when it was released, even though I preordered the album through Green Day's official store. I saw some other people in here who had the same problem. Well, I sent a request about it through the contact form in the shop. It took about five business days to get a response, but they sent me an email with a download link today. Thought I would share, in case anyone else had this issue.

11 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

The song has exceeded 1.4 million spotify streams

Father of All is now at 5.4 million and is currently trending in GD's top 10

5.4 million on Spotify?

On 10/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, Eric said:

As i stated a million times and I will state it again, they want Dookie 2 , American Idiot 2. :lol: 

A combination of Dookie and Idiot ......

Shitiot! 

Billie would have to be majorly inspired to make a sequel album.  There would have to be an idea as unique and original as the first.  American Idiot II would probably sound completely different the first, with maybe just some sonic nods to the first but not many.   

The story would have to be strong.  The emotions would have to be stronger.   

As much as I would gobble up American Idiot: The Sequel,  I know that it probably just shouldn't be done.    Like everything else they do, it would be COMPARED and COMPARED and COMPARED.   

We need to realize that American Idiot in album form was a one time thing.   A very special thing, but a one-off still.   

What I want if that darn movie.   It's in the 7th level of Development Hell, my goodness! 

Besides, FIRE READY AIM is keeping me satified for the time being.  It's a good song! 

How many looked up the definition of 'hyperbole' after listening to this? 🙋‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

How many looked up the definition of 'hyperbole' after listening to this? 🙋‍♂️😂

Someone didn't pay attention in the English class :ga:

On 10/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, concretedream said:

damn this album is really, really going to suck isn't it?

yeah...yeah it is.

Anyone else who pre-ordered the album still having trouble receiving the link to download this? I emailed them and their response was "As this is a pre-order we haven't received any links for this item yet. Please check back with us after the release date if you are still having issues.". I was like wtf I didn't ask about the album, I only want the song. I thought some of you did get the link?

6 minutes ago, Master Roshi said:

Anyone else who pre-ordered the album still having trouble receiving the link to download this? I emailed them and their response was "As this is a pre-order we haven't received any links for this item yet. Please check back with us after the release date if you are still having issues.". I was like wtf I didn't ask about the album, I only want the song. I thought some of you did get the link?

The download link for the song was in the initial e-mail confirmation of my order. If you scroll down to your order details (“Order Summary”) it lists every item and under Father Of All digital download the link is in parentheses under there.  

I don’t think you get a download of each single released after that, you just get the album when it’s released. 

On 10/11/2019 at 9:20 PM, kaylubd said:

You didn't get it yet? I got mine shortly after the song went live.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:30 PM, DadBod said:

Mine went to my "Promotions" tab in gmail. Sender: Green Day. Subject line: Your "Fire, Ready, Aim" digital download is ready. Arrived at 6:30pm CST.

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The download link for the song was in the initial e-mail confirmation of my order. If you scroll down to your order details (“Order Summary”) it lists every item and under Father Of All digital download the link is in parentheses under there.  

I don’t think you get a download of each single released after that, you just get the album when it’s released. 

It seems like some people already got it though.

I can only download "Father of All…" (song) from the Order Summary.

8 minutes ago, Master Roshi said:

It seems like some people already got it though.

I can only download "Father of All…" (song) from the Order Summary.

Yeah I haven’t found one either then

Archived