Green Day Reading Song (Holiday) ("Reading" as in "reading a book" not the festival!!)

Jet Taman

Many (maybe only some) of you know that aside from making BJ Guitars (www.bjguitars.com) I'm actually a 3rd grade teacher in Baltimore, Maryland in real life.  I play my acoustic guitar in class almost every day with little songs that help my kids with verbs or a math song, and at the end of the day we sing the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood song "It's such a good feeling"

A while back I recorded a few CD's where I took Green Day songs (and other bands eventually) and changed the lyrics to be about reading and going to the library.  I was going through my archives and found a lyric video I never got around to posting.  I posted this on Instagram as well (@bjguitars) but I thought some of you on here might be entertained.  

This is an example of a song that I wrote for my elementary school students to encourage them to read and go to the library sung to the tune of "Holiday". Hopefully by the end of the song you will be so inspired that you'll get up and go read a book😅 . The truth is that I got this idea when my son was a toddler, I was so sick of the crap kids music that they were playing on the radio that I decided that I wanted to listen to Green Day music but yet have it somewhat educational. This is one of the results. I have four CD's of songs like this 🤘🤘. I want Billie to hear this but I really want Mike and Tre to get the CD's for their kids!
.(By the way, I'm playing guitar over a backing track. All the yelling and shouting call backs are my vocals 😁)

Dude, I’m actually at one of my volunteer jobs in the library right now and I find this. This is fucking awesome!! Books and Green Day are my two favorite things. You must be a great teacher, I wish I had had one like you when I was a kid. I want to share this everywhere 👏👏👏

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Dude, I’m actually at one of my volunteer jobs in the library right now and I find this. This is fucking awesome!! Books and Green Day are my two favorite things. You must be a great teacher, I wish I had had one like you when I was a kid. I want to share this everywhere 👏👏👏

I've actually performed shows at libraries.  If you want a CD, let me know.  I just ask for $5 to cover shipping.  This is a non-profit thing I did for my school.

10 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

I thought this was going to be about a performance of Holiday at the Reading Festival 😂

Hahahahaha!  I never thought of that!  I better edit my title somehow!

17 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

Hahahahaha!  I never thought of that!  I better edit my title somehow!

It was a nice surprise anyway, awesome job 👍

Archived