Father of All... Charting & Streaming Performance

Squashie

But do the band even have the apetite or physical capability to tour heavily now? I mean Billie himself said back in September that they're going to tour less, I think he called it "effective touring" so I don't think we're going to see them constantly out and about anymore. Yeah it's puzzling that they haven't done more shows / festivals inthe run up to FOAM as is normal now with release cycles, but I just assume they don't have the same drive to be on the road non stop anymore.

If anyone is wanting to compare Crush's work with GD to other artists, they also work with Fall Out Boy, Panic ATD and Weezer, all of who release music every two minutes but don't exactly tour heavily, or at leastthey don't here inthe UK 

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I can’t agree. I know I’m biased by liking the album, but the marketing is to blame imo. The tour was announced first and it clearly was the worst thing they’ve done in a long time, then they kept playing Dookie stuff instead of new songs and now they’re doing a greatest hits tour instead of giving the album a proper promotion. It was doomed before the album even came out.

It honestly makes no sense. What’s the point of releasing an album you don’t care to promote? It doesn’t even work as a way to get people to go to shows when they’re promoted as an almost unrelated event.

To me it just sounds outdated, but regardless the lack of effort around the whole thing, both in terms of the music and the marketing has put them in that position

I don't know if it's Crush' fault, but... I mean, or if they'd planned this in advance... Making this truly the album that we all thought it ought to be. I don't wanna say "troll record" because they seem to be having fun with it, but this all goes to show this isn't an era to be taken seriously. "Billie's brain is fried, heard it here first" aside, something has always felt wrong with FOAM and if the tour is indeed going to be a legacy one for the band, it's one more argument against this album actually being the best they could do. Which I'm happy with because otherwise I'd feel like shit, knowing Billie has given this record everything. He has not.

8 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

Best scenario would've been Hella Mega last year in support of the Dookie anniversary so it would make sense for it to be hit-heavy. Would've reminded everyone they exist and reached some new fans, THEN 2 weeks after the last tour date, announce  FOAM. One month after the announce, start hinting at a club tour. Then drop another single. Play a couple secret shows a few weeks apart. Preferably in different major cities so it creates some excitement like where are they gonna show up next? And then announce a club tour a few weeks before the album comes out. Do a few weeks of press, couple weeks off then play a short club tour followed by arenas. Granted all this is easier said than done and it can be hard to work out timelines perfectly but I think it would've been a whole different thing momentum wise. 

This would have been so much better and there was a lot of time between finishing the album and its announcement so there was a real chance to use the free time well. It seemed like playing at least some clubs was a given considering the style of the album too.

3 hours ago, Ross_19 said:

But do the band even have the apetite or physical capability to tour heavily now? I mean Billie himself said back in September that they're going to tour less, I think he called it "effective touring" 

I'd see this as their move to play stadiums. Why play 3-4 sold out shows at an arena when you can play to as many people in one stadium show. This cuts the amount of shows they'll play while still reaching  the same audience numbers. I personally don't like that, I'd pick an indoor arena show over a stadium show every time. Probably why I haven't bought Hella Mega tickets.

I'd understand if they moved to playing a few huge shows and calling it a tour if they were in their 70s.

18 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It honestly makes no sense. What’s the point of releasing an album you don’t care to promote? It doesn’t even work as a way to get people to go to shows when they’re promoted as an almost unrelated event.

It actually makes a lot of sense if you're ready and willing to dive back into the loop.

39 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

It actually makes a lot of sense if you're ready and willing to dive back into the loop.

I’d be happy to if I disliked the album, but I like it

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

To me it just sounds outdated, but regardless the lack of effort around the whole thing, both in terms of the music and the marketing has put them in that position

I don’t know of it’s fair to criticize the album for being outdated when it’s meant to be retro... but if what you mean is that they’re behind on the trend of recreating 60s music then yeah, that’s a valid argument

11 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don’t know of it’s fair to criticize the album for being outdated when it’s meant to be retro... but if what you mean is that they’re behind on the trend of recreating 60s music then yeah, that’s a valid argument

Don't know if I'd really call it retro, it sounds like Jet and The Hives but either way its not music that's really made by anyone other than dads in their garage, which is what they're becoming

24 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I’d be happy to if I disliked the album, but I like it

I like it too, a lot. I still think this whole era looks like a (bad) joke.

4 hours ago, Alan86 said:

I'd see this as their move to play stadiums. Why play 3-4 sold out shows at an arena when you can play to as many people in one stadium show. This cuts the amount of shows they'll play while still reaching  the same audience numbers. I personally don't like that, I'd pick an indoor arena show over a stadium show every time. Probably why I haven't bought Hella Mega tickets.

Yeah this. It definitely looks like they just wanted to shove in as many people as possible into one place so that they have to play fewer shows, as if they just want to get it over with. The half-assed promotion of the album and tour support this theory too. And that's why I personally never really gave up on the "troll album" (or "troll era") theory. Not because I believe they didn't put any effort in the record - I'm sure they did and as I said above, I like it. Their "fuck off"-attitude and complete lack of enthusiasm is what bugs me. I'm trying to find a tiny piece of the Green Day passion I know and love so much, but I just don't see it these days. I just don't, and it has nothing to do with Corona, because it has never been there ever since the album was announced.

3 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

I like it too, a lot. I still think this whole era looks like a (bad) joke.

And you’re absolutely right. It’s disappointing. Whatever their problem is, I just wish it didn’t manifest in a half assed album promotion.

If we're calling the promotionn "half arsed" at the same time we have to consider some of the good aspects of the promotion. We all thought that the partnership with the NHL would be massively beneficial for the band, regardless of the quality of song released as part of that partnership. In terms of off stage promotion, they haven't done much different to what they have in the past few album cycles, in fact I would argue its been better in some aspects. I think the thing that's puzzled us all is the lack of shows promoting the album. RevRad era they did 3 headline US tours, on this occasion their first headline US tour is 6 months after the album release. It is quite puzzling, but at the same time the tour is selling really well, so we can't exactly say people don't care about Green Day anymore.

1 minute ago, Ross_19 said:

If we're calling the promotionn "half arsed" at the same time we have to consider some of the good aspects of the promotion. We all thought that the partnership with the NHL would be massively beneficial for the band, regardless of the quality of song released as part of that partnership. In terms of off stage promotion, they haven't done much different to what they have in the past few album cycles, in fact I would argue its been better in some aspects. I think the thing that's puzzled us all is the lack of shows promoting the album. RevRad era they did 3 headline US tours, on this occasion their first headline US tour is 6 months after the album release. It is quite puzzling, but at the same time the tour is selling really well, so we can't exactly say people don't care about Green Day anymore.

People still care about Green Day, but not new Green Day. FOAM is doing badly in sales and streaming. If they're fine with being a legacy act, fair enough, but why should it be so when revrad did fairly well.

13 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

People still care about Green Day, but not new Green Day. FOAM is doing badly in sales and streaming. If they're fine with being a legacy act, fair enough, but why should it be so when revrad did fairly well.

but as has been mentioned previously, the album is performing well outside the US. 

It's just the US who don't care then, hence why Billie should finally move to the UK like he promised! 

1 hour ago, Ross_19 said:

the album is performing well outside the US. 

Is it though? Here in Australia the album has already dropped to number 36 on the charts after only 3 weeks. 

4 hours ago, Ross_19 said:

but as has been mentioned previously, the album is performing well outside the US. 

It's just the US who don't care then, hence why Billie should finally move to the UK like he promised! 

I think it's performing better outside the US, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's performing well. At least not compared to RevRad. 

Remember the good old days when BOBD was the #2 song in the US for like 15 weeks and AI was a top 10 album the whole year? Also BOBD was the best selling digital song for a few years before getting knocked off.

Here we go again:

UK #72 (down from #42, peak #1, 4 weeks total)

Scotland #13 (up from #16, peak #1, 4 weeks total)

Australia #42 (down from #36, peak #1, 4 weeks total)

Germany #76 (down from #43, peak #2, 4 weeks total)

Austria #56 (down from #20, peak #2, 3 weeks total)

Switzerland #22 (down from #9, peak #1, 3 weeks total)

Italy #68 (down from #62, peak #9, 4 weeks total)

For a band of Green Day's size, hitting number one first week round should be expected, just because they've got a sizeable core of fans who'll buy it. Keeping it up their shows the albums a success or not.

What was RevRad's record in those countries above? I'd be interested to compare how both albums did in their first month in terms of chart positions week by week 

To me those numbers look quite good for outside the US. I don't expect any album from a rock band to stay high on the charts for longer than a week these days 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, Ross_19 said:

What was RevRad's record in those countries above? I'd be interested to compare how both albums did in their first month in terms of chart positions week by week 

To me those numbers look quite good for outside the US. I don't expect any album from a rock band to stay high on the charts for longer than a week these days 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Day_discography

Charted higher or equal in some countries but the ones it fell in are mostly big falls.

Archived