Father of All... Charting & Streaming Performance

Squashie

23 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Goes down in Rock Songs but up in Mainstream Rock? What's the difference?

Hot rock considers everything, streaming, downloads, radio etc. Mainstream rock is only radio airplay on mainstream rock radio stations. 

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've heard Father of All played on a coupe of non music based platforms so far, most notably as a montage song on the biggest sports radio station over hear. Never heard Bang Bang used anywhere

Article here from Billboard about the song becoming the No. 1:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8542732/green-day-ixth-mainstream-rock-songs-number-1-father-of-all

The song is the band's third No. 1 in four tries since 2016.

Green Day's "Father of All…" becomes the band's sixth No. 1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Songs chart, rising 2-1 on the list dated Nov. 9.

The track is the lead single from the veteran rockers' album Father of All Motherfuckers, due in February 2020.

Despite its long career on Mainstream Rock Songs, which began with the No. 13-peaking "Longview" in 1994, Green Day didn't lead the list until "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" reigned for 14 weeks in 2005.

The trio has landed three of its No. 1s in its four most recent chart visits. "Bang Bang" ruled for seven weeks beginning in September 2016, while follow-up "Still Breathing" led for a week in February 2017. "Revolution Radio," which charted between "Still Breathing" and "Father of All...," peaked at No. 9 in July 2017.

"Father of All..." concurrently spends a third nonconsecutive week atop the all-rock-format Rock Airplay chart, with 9.4 million audience impressions, according to Nielsen Music. The track also pushes 4-3 on Alternative Songs.

10 hours ago, Ross_19 said:

Yeah I've heard Father of All played on a coupe of non music based platforms so far, most notably as a montage song on the biggest sports radio station over hear. Never heard Bang Bang used anywhere

Yep. I mentioned this a day or two ago. 

Bang Bang was a really solid alternative radio hit but outside of that there was no appeal. What made it successful was that it was backed by both Pre-AI fans and Post-AI fans. 

The little tiny world of punk rock also accepted the song with high praise. About fucking time they stopped whining about GD. 

Billboard update-

Hot Rock Songs- 10 (up from 11)

Rock Airplay- 2 (down from 1)

Alternative Songs- 3 (same) (oddly enough, Weezer's song jumped from 6 to 2 this week, over GD)

Mainstream Rock Songs- 2 (down from 1)

Adult Alternative Songs- dropped from chart

Everytime I see this thread I read '' Charter of all... Farting.''
What is wrong with me.

1 hour ago, Montclare said:

Billboard update-

Hot Rock Songs- 10 (up from 11)

Rock Airplay- 2 (down from 1)

Alternative Songs- 3 (same) (oddly enough, Weezer's song jumped from 6 to 2 this week, over GD)

Mainstream Rock Songs- 2 (down from 1)

Adult Alternative Songs- dropped from chart

Time for a new single!!

Streaming numbers update:

Youtube:
Father of All (official): 4,129,634 views
Fire Ready Aim (song only): 1,594,173 views

Spotify:
Father of All: 7,341,401
Fire Ready Aim: 2,884,601

Billboard update-

Hot Rock Songs- 8 (up from 10)

Rock Airplay- 3 (down from 2)

Alternative Songs- 7 (down from 3) (I find it a bit disturbing we didn't get a #1 here)

Mainstream Rock Songs- 4 (down from 2)

So it looks like this song has reached all its peaks.  I'll update again if we do go higher in any of these categories.

8 minutes ago, Montclare said:

So it looks like this song has reached all its peaks.  I'll update again if we do go higher in any of these categories.

I still think this is not bad considering that it doesn’t have the album sales/streams boosting it. If I remember correctly Bang Bang peaked when RR got released.  I think the song will likely go up again when the album is out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 5:10 AM, Sheenius said:

The little tiny world of punk rock also accepted the song with high praise. About fucking time they stopped whining about GD. 

Now it's the right time to start again

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Now it's the right time to start again

No, they lost all their credibility now. Now they've given up on punk rock too cause they don't want jobs but they can't keep playing punk and starving. They're too old and sophisticated for that. 

I also have a theory that everyone owns a GD album. If you ask them they'll admit they own one. Typically a 90's record. I can say with 100% confidence when I tear apart Blink-182 it is with full integrity as I have never been a customer. 

13 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

No, they lost all their credibility now. Now they've given up on punk rock too cause they don't want jobs but they can't keep playing punk and starving. They're too old and sophisticated for that. 

You’re not talking about Green Day here are you? Starving and needing second jobs if they keep their punk credibility?

5 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

You’re not talking about Green Day here are you? Starving and needing second jobs if they keep their punk credibility?

no read my other posts for context

3 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Is it too early to tell if FOAMF got a boost from the AMAs?

When I looked last week (after the AMAs), it had continued to go down.  I'll check again this Tuesday.

Also, does anyone have a Wikipedia account to update the FOAMF page?  It currently only lists the Hot Rock and Rock Airplay positions (for the American charts), when it really should list all the chart highs (previous songs did this).  These were the highest positions for the song if anyone can change it-

Hot Rock Songs- 6 

Rock Airplay- 1

Alternative Songs- 3

Mainstream Rock Songs- 1

Adult Alternative Songs- 37

4 hours ago, Sheenius said:

I also have a theory that everyone owns a GD album. If you ask them they'll admit they own one. Typically a 90's record. I can say with 100% confidence when I tear apart Blink-182 it is with full integrity as I have never been a customer. 

There's nothing wrong with being a customer and also being critical. In fact, it rather makes sense that a person who enjoyed insomniac might not be too hyped for their current stuff. And the punk/selling out thing is hard to judge people for. I used to defend the band and I believe there's nothing wrong with making the most out of one's career, but it's not right to do that at the expense of the music itself. I hate to say that, but the naysayers probably had a point.

53 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

There's nothing wrong with being a customer and also being critical. In fact, it rather makes sense that a person who enjoyed insomniac might not be too hyped for their current stuff. And the punk/selling out thing is hard to judge people for. I used to defend the band and I believe there's nothing wrong with making the most out of one's career, but it's not right to do that at the expense of the music itself. I hate to say that, but the naysayers probably had a point.

But music is subjective, and in listening to interviews it’s clear to me that the guys like the new stuff. They don’t feel that they’re doing something at the expense of the music. They’re just doing what feels right to them at the moment. It doesn’t seem to me that they’re trying to go for a sound that’s more accessible, just something that is different than what they’ve done in the past. I think the think about it sounding like car commercials is completely bogus. I don’t even know where that’s coming from. Sounds nothing like any commercial I’ve heard recently. 

5 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

They’re just doing what feels right to them at the moment. It doesn’t seem to me that they’re trying to go for a sound that’s more accessible, just something that is different than what they’ve done in the past. 

Exactly this. That's where I go on about the people in my punk scene. They all moved on to other forms of music to do something different. 

I'm not saying they have to like the music as that is subjective but atleast understand the process from an artist's point of view. 

I don't believe Green Day has ever really made a decision based on financials when it comes to the actual process of creating the art. They're focused on writing great songs and a byproduct of that is people are willing to pay to experience the recording and experience it in a live format. 

8 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

But music is subjective, and in listening to interviews it’s clear to me that the guys like the new stuff. They don’t feel that they’re doing something at the expense of the music. They’re just doing what feels right to them at the moment. It doesn’t seem to me that they’re trying to go for a sound that’s more accessible, just something that is different than what they’ve done in the past. I think the think about it sounding like car commercials is completely bogus. I don’t even know where that’s coming from. Sounds nothing like any commercial I’ve heard recently. 

Fair enough, I'm not saying they should keep sounding the same. I wouldn't really say it's different from their previous records though. FOAM would fit on Dos perfectly. Some elements of the sound remind me of ad music though, I mean, it's often bouncy power-pop with the omnipresent clap track that gets used in ads. There's something kind of soulless about that.

29 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Fair enough, I'm not saying they should keep sounding the same. I wouldn't really say it's different from their previous records though. FOAM would fit on Dos perfectly. Some elements of the sound remind me of ad music though, I mean, it's often bouncy power-pop with the omnipresent clap track that gets used in ads. There's something kind of soulless about that.

I get that point, but as I said I thing that’s just what Billie’s into these days. Similar to Longshot. He has to get it out of his system. I like it, but then after this album I hope he goes in a different direction. He can’t keep doing that just like he can’t do Dookie part 2 or AI part 2, which is what some people seem to want (I know you don’t). And 2 other points: you say it’s similar to what they’ve done before but the predominant complaint I see on YouTube, etc is that it sounds nothing like GD. The other important point is that we haven’t heard the whole album yet.

1 minute ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

The other important point is that we haven’t heard the whole album yet.

Exactly this. We're way ahead of ourselves on our judgement of this era and album. 

I'm excited to hear something with some pace that's different than what they've released before. I've listened to the other albums so many times over the last 2 decades that I'm actually bored of them at this point in time. 

Don't get me wrong that's classic GD but this is a band that's still putting out new stuff and trying new things and as a fan I find it exciting and I'm willing to go on the ride with them. A lot of the bands that I've listened to over my years that went the distance went through phases and different stylistic changes. 

Also, some of their later work which ended up making it into their list of classics may have been songs that required that age or some kind of pain to be able to have them compose that and record that energy or vibe. For example Johnny Cash doing the cover of Hurt. 

Let them embrace what they're doing if they feel it is right. I see they love playing that new song live and that energy will be felt by the audience. 

1 hour ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

I get that point, but as I said I thing that’s just what Billie’s into these days. Similar to Longshot. He has to get it out of his system. I like it, but then after this album I hope he goes in a different direction. He can’t keep doing that just like he can’t do Dookie part 2 or AI part 2, which is what some people seem to want (I know you don’t). And 2 other points: you say it’s similar to what they’ve done before but the predominant complaint I see on YouTube, etc is that it sounds nothing like GD. The other important point is that we haven’t heard the whole album yet.

I agree. FOAM is fun, it's just that to me it sounds like a more mainstream version of dos/fbht/longshot and I think they're capable of more interesting stuff than that. That said, I think it's probably Butch Walker who's the problem. If FOAM/FRA sounded more like idk...some gritty and catchy rocknroll, like The Black Keys or something in that style and less like the McDonalds' delivery ad I recently saw, I'd be now gushing about it.

You're right there's no point in judging the album now after only hearing two songs. I just hope the whole thing doesn't sound the same.

7 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

You're right there's no point in judging the album now after only hearing two songs. I just hope the whole thing doesn't sound the same.

Totally agree. They’ve hinted that it’s all fast energetic songs, but I’ll be disappointed if there isn’t some variety.

13 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Totally agree. They’ve hinted that it’s all fast energetic songs, but I’ll be disappointed if there isn’t some variety.

I don't mind if they're all fast, but 26 minutes of drowned out vocals? I hope they play them all live so I can make a live album to listen to 

Archived