Father of All... Charting & Streaming Performance

Squashie

This is the effect of releasing 2 singles and both of them being kinda mediocre. I was expecting this album to sell around 35,000 to 40,000. Plus I don’t think the casual listener wants to hear this Green Day. They and I think most of us want Bang Bang style Green Day. 

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I'm always surprised how well Blink still sells. They were never as popular as Green Day, even at their peak, but even with their main member gone they seem to be more popular than Green Day now.

As a longtime Blink fan, I find it baffling too. I really don't understand their increased popularity with a main member missing. Nine is pretty good, but no where as good as their past stuff and I would rather listen to FOAM than their new LP. And I was stunned that California of all albums got them a grammy win. 

10 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

As a longtime Blink fan, I find it baffling too. I really don't understand their increased popularity with a main member missing. Nine is pretty good, but no where as good as their past stuff and I would rather listen to FOAM than their new LP. And I was stunned that California of all albums got them a grammy win. 

I realized that I really like Tom more than blink itself. Their self-titled album is an all time favorite of mine and I love Tom's side projects. I feel like everything Mark does is so generic.

32 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

They didn’t win the Grammy.. nominated, but no win..

14 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

They didn’t win the Grammy.. nominated, but no win..

I misread it when I looked it up then...still a nomination for that album? Untitled was more deserving. 

2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I misread it when I looked it up then...still a nomination for that album? Untitled was more deserving. 

I agree! I still loved California, but Untitled was better. Nine was good, but not great! Too much hip hop influence :(

10 hours ago, Cunt said:

This is the effect of releasing 2 singles and both of them being kinda mediocre. I was expecting this album to sell around 35,000 to 40,000. Plus I don’t think the casual listener wants to hear this Green Day. They and I think most of us want Bang Bang style Green Day. 

Even though I want bang bang and really active-aggressive full of emotions songs,  isn’t it pleasant to have a chill, fun album for a change?

Billboard article about GD landing top spot on the Australian charts:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8551166/green-day-grab-australian-chart-crown-with-father-of-all

Green Day Grab Australian Chart Crown With 'Father Of All...

Green-Day-01-press-by-Pamela-Littky-2020

t’s a great week for Green Day, who snare a third chart crown in Australia with Father Of All...(Reprise/Warner).

The veteran U.S. punk rock trio see their 13th and latest studio album bow at No. 1 on the ARIA Albums Chart. It’s the Bay Area outfit’s first leader in these parts for more than 15 years. The last to get there was American Idiot (September 2004) and Dookie (March 1995), though Revolution Radio did come close, peaking at No. 2 in October 2016. 

They’ll return to these shorts in November for a four-city Hella Mega stadium tour alongside Weezer and Fall Out Boy.

Another article about their top spot in Australia here:

https://www.wsfm.com.au/entertainment/green-days-new-album-shoots-straight-to-number-1-in-australia/

Green Day’s New Album Shoots Straight To Number 1 In Australia

Green-Day-Father-Of-All-Music-Video.jpg?

Third time’s a charm for Green Day with their 13th studio album, ‘Father Of All…’

It’s the band’s third overall No.1 album in Australia and their first to hit the top almost 16 years.

Last time the punk rockers were at the top it was with American Idiot, which stayed there for two weeks from the 27th of September, 2004.

Prior to that was their breakout album Dookie, which spent 3 weeks at the top from March 19, 1995.

As well as hitting the top again with the new stuff, Green Day’s greatest hits collection God’s Favorite Band has also re-entered the chart at #44.

Green Day will tour Australia as part of the Hella Mega Tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer this year.

2 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Not news but ...

Crazy how much of an impact streams can have. Green Day sold the most album but other albums out-streamed them like crazy.

3 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Crazy how much of an impact streams can have. Green Day sold the most album but other albums out-streamed them like crazy.

GD is one of the more popular acts in physical sales they showed that with Rev Rad 

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

GD is one of the more popular acts in physical sales they showed that with Rev Rad 

Probably because their fans are older and grew up with CDs, and rock fans often have more respect for the album format. 

Honestly it's kind of cheap that a kid-friendly artist like Ariana Grande or Bieber can rack up tons of album-equivalent streams and other artists really can't compete. I noticed that even Lana Del Rey, a modern artist popular with "younger people" gets barely any streams. Most of her albums have sold better in the UK even though she's an American artist. 

10 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Billboard article about GD landing top spot on the Australian charts:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8551166/green-day-grab-australian-chart-crown-with-father-of-all

Green Day Grab Australian Chart Crown With 'Father Of All...

Green-Day-01-press-by-Pamela-Littky-2020

t’s a great week for Green Day, who snare a third chart crown in Australia with Father Of All...(Reprise/Warner).

The veteran U.S. punk rock trio see their 13th and latest studio album bow at No. 1 on the ARIA Albums Chart. It’s the Bay Area outfit’s first leader in these parts for more than 15 years. The last to get there was American Idiot (September 2004) and Dookie (March 1995), though Revolution Radio did come close, peaking at No. 2 in October 2016. 

They’ll return to these shorts in November for a four-city Hella Mega stadium tour alongside Weezer and Fall Out Boy.

Another article about their top spot in Australia here:

https://www.wsfm.com.au/entertainment/green-days-new-album-shoots-straight-to-number-1-in-australia/

Green Day’s New Album Shoots Straight To Number 1 In Australia

Green-Day-Father-Of-All-Music-Video.jpg?

Third time’s a charm for Green Day with their 13th studio album, ‘Father Of All…’

It’s the band’s third overall No.1 album in Australia and their first to hit the top almost 16 years.

Last time the punk rockers were at the top it was with American Idiot, which stayed there for two weeks from the 27th of September, 2004.

Prior to that was their breakout album Dookie, which spent 3 weeks at the top from March 19, 1995.

As well as hitting the top again with the new stuff, Green Day’s greatest hits collection God’s Favorite Band has also re-entered the chart at #44.

Green Day will tour Australia as part of the Hella Mega Tour with Fall Out Boy and Weezer this year.

I think this happened because we got absolutely no lead up promotion - it all happened the week of album release - here is a new song, album and tour dates,

14 hours ago, Aidana Shyngysbayeva said:

Even though I want bang bang and really active-aggressive full of emotions songs,  isn’t it pleasant to have a chill, fun album for a change?

No

the puzzling thing to me is that, while people say Green Day don't do good streaming numbers, they have 17 million monthly listeners on Spotify, way more than blink and similar artists. I'm sure there's a good reason for this though.... probably the hits 

6 hours ago, Ross_19 said:

the puzzling thing to me is that, while people say Green Day don't do good streaming numbers, they have 17 million monthly listeners on Spotify, way more than blink and similar artists. I'm sure there's a good reason for this though.... probably the hits 

They're also ranked 153rd in the world too on Spotify. That's for all genres and most rock bands I've searched have worse rankings. I've been tracking their listener count since I think Sunday, Feb 9th. It's finally stopped growing and kinda ebbs and flows a bit, but it went up from 16.5 on the 9th to 17 million. So yeah I think a lot of it is the hits but that's still 500k listeners who tuned in and weren't already regulars. 

10 hours ago, Ross_19 said:

They got great numbers on old singles it's the streaming of new music that's the issue. 

People are aware of the decline in their quality since 21cb. Each album seems to be less and less anticipated. 

15 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

They're also ranked 153rd in the world too on Spotify. That's for all genres and most rock bands I've searched have worse rankings. I've been tracking their listener count since I think Sunday, Feb 9th. It's finally stopped growing and kinda ebbs and flows a bit, but it went up from 16.5 on the 9th to 17 million. So yeah I think a lot of it is the hits but that's still 500k listeners who tuned in and weren't already regulars. 

They've gone up from 14-17 million during the time theyve been promoting the album 

Just that most people are gonna listen to Dookie, AI and 21cb. 

I think it's pointless to try to appeal to the mainstream for rock acts. No big rock band has mainstream hits anymore. Sadly, these days are over. Green Day have to be successful within the alternative scene, and I think FOAM might not be the right album for that. The sound probably scares away casual fans and rock purists because it's not typical Green Day. And if you're not successful with a mainstream audience OR an alternative audience, all you have left are your hardcore fans. These are most likely the ones who bought FOAM so far. RevRad was different. It was more "pure" punk rock, plus it was some sort of comeback for them. I'm not saying that I don't want them to experiment. But casual listeners probably prefer old-school Green Day. 

That being said, I agree with those who say that the album's quality might be a factor, too. I kinda like it, but it's still a far cry from basically everything they did between Dookie and 21CB but also RevRad, in my opinion. Personally, I really like RevRad, but I think it's their only really satisfying and convincing release since 2009. None of their studio albums are bad, but people might expect more from Green Day than a record that is just decent. 

Anyway, I still want the album to be a success and maybe get some certifications. I just want them to do well :D

8 minutes ago, Aidana Shyngysbayeva said:

What does being number one on charts mean? It’s like the most listened album?

Most sales in the respective week. That includes streams as well. Or the highest revenue in some countries. 

Archived