can we talk about how underrated uno is

Yas31705

3 hours ago, Montclare said:

I wouldn't say that RevRad has no story.  it doesn't have characters in the way that AI or 21CB does, but I view it as the story of Billie coming back to life while watching the world continue to go on around him as he does.

I mean imo that's just personal lyric writing, which is what most artists do. What makes albums like AI/21CB somewhat unique is the storytelling and characters and how Billie uses them to describe not only his personal thoughts and feelings but also to describe modern society.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh I've always thought most of the "story" for AI seems to be made up after the fact fill-in-the-blanks style. All that really happens in the album itself, including the letters in the limited edition booklet, is that a guy from a suburban town goes to the city, does drugs, meets a girl, then comes back home. That's like.... an outline for a story at best. The primary beats. And the "doing drugs" songs and the "so there's this girl" songs can be completely divorced from the rest of the story, they don't really relate to it that much in any integral way. Every single other part of it from the musical (and from what I remember people discussing before the musical happened) is completely absent in the lyrics. 

Also Breakdown doesn't have a story at all fight me.

4 hours ago, Montclare said:

I wouldn't say that RevRad has no story.  it doesn't have characters in the way that AI or 21CB does, but I view it as the story of Billie coming back to life while watching the world continue to go on around him as he does.

I agree it’s got a story but it’s so sad. Coming back to life after what almost killed him? Being scared life passed him by. Trying to escape boredom and being trapped and overdoing it? It’s like he’s healing during RevRad and it’s painful and boring too. Like the boring sad story makes for a boring record but at least it’s optimistic and although the rebirth is excruciating for him and painful it’s a good thing. Very excited about the new Green Day era. He’s at his best when he’s bouncing off the walls and bringing the party to the masses. RevRad was so boring but hopefully a learning experience. However, I’m grateful they didn’t pack it in and call it a day. They keep evolving. This is good. This is great. I am so sad when he’s contained and bored/boring and worried life is passing him by. I think he got famous and caged in and got way too many responsibilities too young to not freak out. I think it’s best when he’s excited and adventurous. Otherwise I think he would be completely miserable. He doesn’t know any better. And that’s kinda really sad. Although omg if I had the money they have I wouldn’t complain but what do I know? What do they know? Famous and loaded with responsibility way too young.

I hope this new tour is super fun and exciting and adventurous and I can’t wait for the new record.  

On 9/20/2019 at 6:09 AM, Miko said:

''Revolution Radio was a sad attempt to recover from it when there was nothing to be ashamed of.'' It was more of like ''ok our experimental albums fucked up, we need to now record some safe tunes'' attempt rather than going forward. It felt backwards (back to 21CB and AI tunes). That's how I feel about Revolution Radio and I didn't mean that they tried to redo something from Trilogy.

Lazy Bones and Stray Heart are both great songs but I just love some good old rock and roll such as Stop When The Red Lights Flash and Makeout Party.

RevRad blew its load on its opening singles. I was so hype. Bang Bang and RevRad were amazing AI-style tracks with interesting musical form. And then Still Breathing sounded like their take on the really modern brand of pop-punk, especially in its production - something extremely fresh without experimenting for the sake of experimentation.

Then literally all the rest was completely forgettable lol.

6 minutes ago, green day is said:

Too Dumb To Die & Forever Now beg to differ.

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

Look I'm one of those 90's fans.  I was 16 when Warning came out and I loved it at the time (and still do).  American Idiot was VASTLY different in sound than anything before it.  There was never an old vs new Green Day discussion until AI.  The only thing I remember from Warning's release was the same clowns continuing to call Green Day sell-outs (which they'd been saying since Dookie).

Yet there's interviews from Warning era where they're questioned about some popular opinions about their new sound lol 

I believe it was that same interview where the interviewer even mentions that Warning was different than anything they had released before.

The old vs new Green Day became a thing mostly because of their look and that's what escalated it during the AI era. Also, not to mention that they were huge at that time. 

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing of the Wall are great and energetic and fun. But have that longing like something is missing and the fun needs to be found again. And those songs were basically never played live at all. Just like any Trilogy songs on the RevRad tour. RevRad was the opposite of fun tour.

Not saying other GD songs aren’t amazing but there are certain songs that bring the party and RevRad did not bring the party. And the two good fun songs off RevRad basically never saw the light of day. Can not wait for this new GD era. Hopefully they will start breathing and having fun and relax. RevRad was like a tightly wound highly stunted weird feeling of being force feed the same-old-same-old set lists and Green Day plays the hits basically. The band is too good and the band is too special and diverse and the fans are too insane and loyal and fun (for the most part) to be put through that again.

Not a big fan of the RevRad era except hoping it was a step in the amazing evolution that is Green Day.

1 minute ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing of the Wall are great and energetic and fun. But have that longing like something is missing and the fun needs to be found again. And those songs were basically never played live at all. Just like any Trilogy songs on the RevRad tour. RevRad was the opposite of fun tour.

Not saying other GD songs aren’t amazing but there are certain songs that bring the party and RevRad did not bring the party. And the two good fun songs off RevRad basically never saw the light of day. Can not wait for this new GD era. Hopefully they will start breathing and having fun and relax. RevRad was like a tightly wound highly stunted weird feeling of being force feed the same-old-same-old set lists and Green Day plays the hits basically. The band is too good and the band is too special and diverse and the fans are too insane and loyal and fun (for the most part) to be put through that again.

Not a big fan of the RevRad era except hoping it was a step in the amazing evolution that is Green Day.

RevRad tour was like watching a well oiled machine.

6 hours ago, green day is said:

RevRad blew its load on its opening singles. I was so hype. Bang Bang and RevRad were amazing AI-style tracks with interesting musical form. And then Still Breathing sounded like their take on the really modern brand of pop-punk, especially in its production - something extremely fresh without experimenting for the sake of experimentation.

Tbh I wish I would forget everything regarding Revolution Radio Era. It all started so promising with Bang Bang and awesome live perfomances and then it quickly turned out to be most disappointing thing Green Day has ever done. Whole era sounds and looks like more of ''Green Day playing hits'' rather than playing what they actually want. I quite was not a fan of Billie's stage clothing compared to any other era.

Also fuck Outlaws production. Holy hell that chorus is WAY too loud.

1 minute ago, Miko said:

Also fuck Outlaws production. Holy hell that chorus is WAY too loud.

More like fuck Outlaws for having that weird riff with reversed guitar effect in the beginning tricking you into thinking you're about to hear something interesting.

6 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Too Dumb To Die & Forever Now beg to differ.

Too Dumb to Die is just Rusty James crossed with 21CBD with much worse lyrics. 

16 hours ago, green day is said:

More like fuck Outlaws for having that weird riff with reversed guitar effect in the beginning tricking you into thinking you're about to hear something interesting.

Too Dumb to Die is just Rusty James crossed with 21CBD with much worse lyrics. 

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing Off the Wall rules. But yeahhhh they’re like Trilogy/Longshot/FBHT and sort of but out of place on RevRad when put all together.

RevRad is my least fav GD record although I revisit Bouncing Off the Wall and it’s on some of my playlists. 

Disclaimer: all GD is great. Just RevRad was sad. Like we knew. Forced and then just ended up Green Day plays the hits because how much fun was RevRad really? And how many of those songs actually got played live? Best ever was the Trilogy and bringing the new songs to small club stages and how fun and raw that was and they sounded great in the stadium tour too. I hope Green Day finds their heart/soul/balance again.

8 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Too Dumb to Die and Bouncing Off the Wall rules. But yeahhhh they’re like Trilogy/Longshot/FBHT and sort of but out of place on RevRad when put all together.

RevRad is my least fav GD record although I revisit Bouncing Off the Wall and it’s on some of my playlists. 

Disclaimer: all GD is great. Just RevRad was sad. Like we knew. Forced and then just ended up Green Day plays the hits because how much fun was RevRad really? And how many of those songs actually got played live? Best ever was the Trilogy and bringing the new songs to small club stages and how fun and raw that was and they sounded great in the stadium tour too. I hope Green Day finds their heart/soul/balance again.

Well, Rev Rad was 13 songs and through most of that touring cycle they played 6 of them. It was not until the summer US run that they, well Billie, switched ordinary world for 21 guns. 

On 9/25/2019 at 8:22 PM, green day is said:

RevRad blew its load on its opening singles

Yeah pretty much. I would even say the first third of the album is killer. The middle third is where it gets rocky for me mostly because Bouncing Off The Wall and Youngblood don't really serve the purpose in this part of the tracklist. 

The last third is decent but still doesn't live up to tracks 1-4 and Ordinary World is practically a waste song. No reason why there couldn't have been another banger and move Ordinary World to Track 13. I would have even thrown a more complete version of Back In The USA into the final third of the album. 

1 hour ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I would have even thrown a more complete version of Back In The USA into the final third of the album. 

My understanding is that BITUSA was not written until after rev rad was released and was not recorded until late summer/early fall 2017 when they were on break from the North America tour and before the South American tour. 

6 hours ago, DadBod said:

My understanding is that BITUSA was not written until after rev rad was released and was not recorded until late summer/early fall 2017 when they were on break from the North America tour and before the South American tour. 

Fair enough. I was going on the assumption that we were removing the timeline of Rev Rad being released. I tend to view these things from a musicians perspective as if I was working on the album. 

I would have felt like I needed to add in something like BITUSA to the album to make it more complete. Although as I'm writing this I may have also felt in that situation I would need to replace Bouncing Off The Wall lol

It’s going to be interesting to see the Hella Mega setlist for the new album if it’s 10 tracks and 26 mins long... 

they always play 6-7 songs from the newest album they’re touring on (at least from Dookie on down to RevRad) 

I wonder if they’ll break away from their tradition and play all 10 tracks or keep it at 6-7 songs

40 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

It’s going to be interesting to see the Hella Mega setlist for the new album if it’s 10 tracks and 26 mins long... 

they always play 6-7 songs from the newest album they’re touring on (at least from Dookie on down to RevRad) 

I wonder if they’ll break away from their tradition and play all 10 tracks or keep it at 6-7 songs

Im hoping with the new direction we get a fresh setlist -  but i doubt it - so i hope for a section in the setlist that they chane up EVERY night.

30 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

Im hoping with the new direction we get a fresh setlist -  but i doubt it - so i hope for a section in the setlist that they chane up EVERY night.

That sounds good! Like it’s still static and predictable for the sake of it being a huge production of a stadium tour but with this interesting part of unpredictableness amongst it. That would be great. And if they could switch up the non-single songs from the new album. I get they gotta play the singles and rightfully so... but it would be nice to hear different new songs. I wasn’t gonna call out any song in particular but for example: why did they play Youngblood every single show and only Two Dumb to Die once? Why? 

Anyway: really hope for some new songs and some switch ups on this new tour. Sounds like they’re ready for a good time and some adventure. Really hope they deliver not only for us but for themselves too. We all could use some variety, fun and adventure right now.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, Yas31705 said:

uno is super underrated

For reals I for a second thought you were talking about the card game that ruins friendships 

10 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

For reals I for a second thought you were talking about the card game that ruins friendships 

nah ... it was clearly obvious they were just talking about the album that ruins friendships

• 1 month later...

Was searching for the Uno thread and found this one first!  

I started at Fell for you and now Dos is playing because they are all lumped together on Spotify.    Had a blast dancing around to the last half of Uno!   

GOSH DARN I want to buy some bigger, louder speakers just to blast this thing!

About to get on a Trilogy kick, followed by an all out Green Day kick!   

Forget Thanksgiving and Christmas, February is where the party is !!!!!

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

Had a blast dancing around to the last half of Uno!  

I love to read comments like this. Trilogy never gets enough love and I could talk years about how awesome those three albums are.

When I got married few months ago, Sweet 16 became instantly one of my favorites. What a sweet love song to sing to my wife.

17 hours ago, Miko said:

I love to read comments like this. Trilogy never gets enough love and I could talk years about how awesome those three albums are.

When I got married few months ago, Sweet 16 became instantly one of my favorites. What a sweet love song to sing to my wife.

If there is another relationship in my future, it will be my 16th.   

On 11/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, Miko said:

The song reminds me of The Beach Boys it's a well written tune 

Archived