Hella Mega Tour: Does FoB belong with Green Day?

One_of_the_Whatsernames

I think The Interrupters are a great band live. I love their music, and I'm happy that I get to see them again at the concert because they're very fitting for an opening act for Green Day. 

I don't mind Weezer either, seeing as to how they're not drowning in the pop of the pop-pun, and their new album compensates Green Day's more serious punk style. 

But Fall Out Boy...just doesn't belong with the trio. They feel so tacked on, even though they had a more pop-punk sound in the past; that's not what the band is like anymore. Don't get me wrong, I find their music alright, but it's just not the kind of music that would be played live, let alone in what's hyped up to be "the biggest rock event in 2020". 

What do you think? I feel like a better combination would've been Green Day, Blink-182, and Sugarcult (but Green Day recently threw shade at Blink, so maybe not...)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fanbases would have a huge overlap, especially from the early 00’s

its a business decision and will probably ensure the majority of the tour sells out eventually

I honestly don't think either band fits this bill. I still think this tour was put together by their management, not the band as they've been claiming. Even if Green day wanted to do a package tour I feel they would've picked two other bands. But that's just me.

Billie said they chose Crush management because of the other bands on their roster and the potential for collaboration like this. The band were asked what their goals were and they said they wanted to play stadiums. This is Crush making that happen for them. It’s much easier to do something like this when all bands are on the same management team. 

FoB is NOT pure punk. Honestly, I think the whole scene has gone to shit. FoB emo fuckers are only wining about bloodsugar and how  it's going down in irregular patterns. cry more, Stumpy

7 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

FoB is NOT pure punk. Honestly, I think the whole scene has gone to shit. FoB emo fuckers are only wining about bloodsugar and how  it's going down in irregular patterns. cry more, Stumpy

Neither are Green Day. Thats just a fact. Also what are you talking about? 

I think they fit pretty well in terms of genre. Like, they all make catchy forms of rock music with some level of punk influence and there's probably a lot of people who are fans of two or more of them. Only slight issue is Green Day being higher quality :P. But since they're playing last meaning the others are effectively support acts all is good. 

I think it helps the other bands. Green day can sellout stadiums without lifting a finger. The other bands get the opportunity to have that kind of audience too being with GD

6 minutes ago, BUBBYBUB said:

I think it helps the other bands. Green day can sellout stadiums without lifting a finger. The other bands get the opportunity to have that kind of audience too being with GD

Actually they can’t. It’s the thing they failed to do on their last tour. They fired Pat and went to Crush and said they wanted to play stadiums, presumably to sell them out. The crossover fans with these three bands is what will help GD sell out. This is not an act of charity on GD’s part, they need their fans to help fill stadiums.  They talked about this in the Billboard interview.

1 hour ago, Sarcasm said:

I honestly feel like a couple people on this forum have forgotten about all the people that used to refer to Green Day as "emo fuckers" who were "ruining the scene" back in 2004 when "American Idiot" hit it big.  People were always throwing homophobic slurs at Billie Joe Armstrong because of the fact that he wore eyeliner (even though people like Mike Ness from Social D - a Real Punk™ band - have been doing that since the 80s but hey, whatever I guess).  Hell, I still see people complaining about Green Day in that kind of way, though it's definitely died down since then.  Let's not be all gatekeep-y.  This is coming from someone that doesn't even like Fall Out Boy that much.

In any case, FOB probably would have fit better on a tour like this in the mid 2000s.

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Actually they can’t. It’s the thing they failed to do on their last tour. They fired Pat and went to Crush and said they wanted to play stadiums, presumably to sell them out. The crossover fans with these three bands is what will help GD sell out. This is not an act of charity on GD’s part, they need their fans to help fill stadiums.  They talked about this in the Billboard interview.

That makes sense too and rock music is and has been in a recession for sometime now

2 hours ago, Sarcasm said:

FoB emo fuckers are only wining about bloodsugar and how  it's going down in irregular patterns. cry more, Stumpy

Interesting interpretation of the song "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" 

Fall out boy's, from under the cork tree, infinity in high and even folie a deux and save rock n roll are really good albums. Especially the first two. But yeah their last two albums are more on the pop side and I don't really like those. Don't think they are as out of place as people make them to be. 

A tour with blink would have been epic especially with how good blink have become with trying to sound better live now on the tour they are currently doing and the really high level of NINE. But yeah both bands are too big to open for one another. Maybe blink will agree to open for green day on the next tour. 

I mean, as far as I'm concerned I'm a huge fan of all three bands, the numerous people I'm going with are all big fans of all three bands, and considering how often I see the three bands in people's listening circles I feel there is no reason they don't belong there. Yeah, maybe a few years earlier it would have been a MORE perfect fit. But, if people don't wanna see Fall Out Boy there, don't buy tickets. More for me and my friends who do very much so want to see these three together. 😂

Their music meshes better than you think, they really are not as far as part as they seem. To test this theory, listen to the Hella Mega playlist on Spotify.  Most of it (with the exception of one or two uber poppy collabs of FOB) sounds really good together.

4 hours ago, One_of_the_Whatsernames said:

What do you think? I feel like a better combination would've been Green Day, Blink-182, and Sugarcult (but Green Day recently threw shade at Blink, so maybe not...)

I think Billie is friendly with Matt Skiba so think he was just messing with him.

Their first 4 albums and all their EPs are objectively great, but no one wants to acknowledge it because of their awful fanbase + their last 3 or so albums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL02p9KhABo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXcYPcTJsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7q9i6KYmzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ugKqTREJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O68VJ6g1qfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YdaXlp3thM

Check them out with an open mind, you'll find some surprisingly good '00s alt-rock

I think this is mainly a show to showcase a wide variety of rock while still making sure they have a lineup that can sell out a stadium. You have interrupters - ska punk rock, Weezer - alternative rock, gd - stadium rock/pop punk rock/rock, FOB pop rock and old stuff pop punk rock. I don't see it as a similar artist booking, but bands that do take up a lot of rock radio right now coming together with similar fanbases. 

This is pretty much a Crush showcase... a tour without any headaches since all bands all share management and in Weezer’s case a record label (since GD and FOB are only apart of the management side... so far)

10 hours ago, One_of_the_Whatsernames said:

I think The Interrupters are a great band live. I love their music, and I'm happy that I get to see them again at the concert because they're very fitting for an opening act for Green Day. 

I don't mind Weezer either, seeing as to how they're not drowning in the pop of the pop-pun, and their new album compensates Green Day's more serious punk style. 

But Fall Out Boy...just doesn't belong with the trio. They feel so tacked on, even though they had a more pop-punk sound in the past; that's not what the band is like anymore. Don't get me wrong, I find their music alright, but it's just not the kind of music that would be played live, let alone in what's hyped up to be "the biggest rock event in 2020". 

Fall Out Boy did a tour with Wiz Khalifa a few years back and obviously they don't fit together but I thought it was a great show.

i think blink instead of fall out boy would've been sick and would've made the most sense.

don't care at all for FOB's latest output but it makes sense business wise. if you're a fan of fob, weezer, or gd you most likely are into one of the other bands enough to wanna see them too.

I like Weezer, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan. At least they seem like a better fit than FOB. FOB I could take or leave, preferably leave. But I will sit through anything I have to to see Green Day. They are unmissable.

Archived