Interesting article about Green Day's post-Reprise future

dudley dawson

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I didn’t know Crush was also FOB’s label and not only management company. Some stuff makes more sense now. 

Yeah I think this pretty much confirms they're moving to Crush and then every new GD album until the end of time will be produced by Butch Walker :)

41 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Yeah I think this pretty much confirms they're moving to Crush and then every new GD album until the end of time will be produced by Butch Walker :)

Now that it looks like we're not getting an albumful of Walker-style pop rock, I don't mind, he's allowed to produce GD albums now.

42 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Interesting. The move to Crush makes a lot of sense now, also the Longshot album came out on Crush's label, so plot thickens.

I’ve always seen Longshot as a prototype for how an independent Green Day would work...

If they do sign to Crush Music they’re truly are idiots as Crush is distributed by Atlantic which is Warner so now GD would then have three hands (GD Crush and Atlantic/Warner as Atlantic will get distribution money) dipping into their album sales money where as right now it’s two hands (Reprise/Warner and GD) 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

If they do sign to Crush Music they’re truly are idiots as Crush is distributed by Atlantic which is Warner so now GD would then have three hands (GD Crush and Atlantic/Warner as Atlantic will get distribution money) dipping into their album sales money where as right now it’s two hands (Reprise/Warner and GD) 

Ha didn't think of this, but yeah. More companies involved is less money in their pocket. What other viable options are there for them except for signing directly to a major?

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Ha didn't think of this, but yeah. More companies involved is less money in their pocket. What other viable options are there for them except for signing directly to a major?

Wait, doesn't that seem unlikely??

7 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

You have a rather limited view of what the benefits and reasons for signing with any particular label are. I guarantee they go far beyond splitting profits.

Even the article above mentions Crush allow artists to own their masters for example. 

1 minute ago, Brutalitops said:

You have a rather limited view of what the benefits and reasons for signing with any particular label are. I guarantee they go far beyond splitting profits.

Even the article above mentions Crush allow artists to own their masters for example. 

True they would own their masters and that is a good thing 

but more hands in the pot is never good considering for a band that hasn’t seen a gold or platinum sales since 2009 

also the conspiracy theories on this board is that GD is saying fuck you to Warner by this album so if they want to be gone from Warner so bad why would they sign to another label that still keeps them IN business with the label they don’t want to be involved with 

GD should go fully indie they have the money and pull to do so 

7 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

Wait, doesn't that seem unlikely??

Yes, I don't think they'd make a big deal out of being free from Warner only to sign another contract with them. I never said anything about how likely or unlikely is them signing to any other label.

8 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

True they would own their masters and that is a good thing 

but more hands in the pot is never good considering for a band that hasn’t seen a gold or platinum sales since 2009 

also the conspiracy theories on this board is that GD is saying fuck you to Warner by this album so if they want to be gone from Warner so bad why would they sign to another label that still keeps them IN business with the label they don’t want to be involved with 

GD should go fully indie they have the money and pull to do so 

Can you define what you mean by "fully indie"?

1 minute ago, dudley dawson said:

Their own label and distribution

2 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Full independence 

In today’s time you really don’t need a major and for a band like GD they have the relationships and connections they can easily do it themselves 

21 minutes ago, ImNotInGreenDaydummy said:

where is rob cavallo? i fucking miss that guy. he’s so genuius. do they not like eachother?

Rob is still producing and most likely focusing on Level 7 

15 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Full independence 

In today’s time you really don’t need a major and for a band like GD they have the relationships and connections they can easily do it themselves 

When you consider how the trilogy was marketed by Warner, and presumably the promotion for RevRad wasn't much better (i wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to Green Day at the time aside from going to a huge show they played here the year following RevRad's release but i really did not hear much about it anywhere) then I don't see why a band like Green Day who is well established and has been building a fanbase that spans a large demographic between what they built themselves between Dookie, American Idiot and even the grassroots following from their extensive touring pre-Dookie, then i don't see how they couldn't make it on their own. It's not like Warner are doing much for them in the way of promoting them.

53 minutes ago, Milo Goes To Pasalacqua said:

When you consider how the trilogy was marketed by Warner, and presumably the promotion for RevRad wasn't much better (i wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to Green Day at the time aside from going to a huge show they played here the year following RevRad's release but i really did not hear much about it anywhere) then I don't see why a band like Green Day who is well established and has been building a fanbase that spans a large demographic between what they built themselves between Dookie, American Idiot and even the grassroots following from their extensive touring pre-Dookie, then i don't see how they couldn't make it on their own. It's not like Warner are doing much for them in the way of promoting them.

This 

The promo part is really the ONLY reason to get with a major cause cost of promo is high as fuck and not a lot of bands can afford the cost of the standard promo stuff as tv ads radio ads print and (lesser degree) online ads are very costly 

But being fully independent is a lot of work and maybe Billie and them don’t want to do that work 

I’m really excited that he said that they will be able to release singles and eps whenever they want. Hopefully that means we can get some sort of trilogy ep with Otis mixes. I’d love that 

1 minute ago, hym.jarred said:

I’m really excited that he said that they will be able to release singles and eps whenever they want. Hopefully that means we can get some sort of trilogy ep with Otis mixes. I’d love that 

Depending on how their contract they renewed in 2005 is they may not be able to release those 

Clueless question here and i feel like i already have an idea of the answer by why exactly is a band owning their own masters so preferable? Is there a bit more to it than i realise?

26 minutes ago, Milo Goes To Pasalacqua said:

Clueless question here and i feel like i already have an idea of the answer by why exactly is a band owning their own masters so preferable? Is there a bit more to it than i realise?

Money. 

Owning your own masters allows to to do what you want with them for releases and keeps another portion of the money in one hand rather than another

Archived