Green Day on the Woody Show

pacejunkie punk

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised this interview is already happening, and that they only mentioned the iHeart festival in passing.

Thanks for posting this...they seemed more like themselves during this interview.  I think they cut something out at about 1:42-ish.  Looks like Billie got a little flushed about something.  

My concern is he describes the last iHeart Fest as him just trying to be a badass. Seriously Billie? So now he’s rewriting history. 🙄 He’s on a dangerous path.

38 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

My concern is he describes the last iHeart Fest as him just trying to be a badass. Seriously Billie? So now he’s rewriting history. 🙄 He’s on a dangerous path.

I think he was just joking. On the whole he's just less uptight about the whole thing, unlike many on GDC. 

EDIT: I didn't mean showing concern is uptight, but it's overwhelmingly obvious that he wants to move past this experience, so I think we should let him. 

Just now, MillenniumFan said:

I think he was just joking. On the whole he's just less uptight about the whole thing, unlike many on GDC.

Well he had to know the minute they decided to play there again he was gonna get asked about it. This had to be a major discussion and no small decision.

And I don’t think it makes you “uptight” to not want to see him repeat a time in his life that almost killed him so...

I feel a little more optimistic about the album after seeing that. Maybe each song will be totally different,  which is cool..

7 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

So, iHeartRadio was their "big announcement"?

Damn, that sucks.

14 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Well he had to know the minute they decided to play there again he was gonna get asked about it. This had to be a major discussion and no small decision.

I don't know, I just know how many outside GDC reacted to the whole thing at the time. Many thought it was "badass", "funny" or more on the negative side, "embarrassing", but no one was overly concerned with Billie's "state". Maybe they ought to have been, but the really concerned people mostly were and still are to be found in our little GDC bubble. 

Billie's behaviour is still weird though. Wether it's because they're leaving Warner and it's the "out-the door, we don't care that much anymore tbh lolz" attitude or wether it's because they actually have some more exciting material down the road and they're just "trolling" right now, I don't know, but I don't find it 100% normal.

2 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I don't know, I just know how many outside GDC reacted to the whole thing. Many thought it was "badass", "funny" or on the negative side: "embarrassing", but no one was overly concerned with Billie's "state". Maybe they ought to have been, but the really concerned people mostly were and still are found in our little GDC bubble. 

You're right, and I was one of the people who thought it was badass in the moment. But at that point, I had no idea how bad things had gotten for him.

I took Billies response to the previous iheart as a joke. I mean that's a hard thing to talk about and he probably didn't want to bring the interview down because they're there to discuss fun new things.

Also... Favorite song to play JOS? Mr I hate long songs lol! 

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And I don’t think it makes you “uptight” to not want to see him repeat a time in his life that almost killed him so...

Especially since in interviews for RevRad he has said the whole thing made him sick and he wouldn't watch the footage of it ever.  His attitude this time is totally different.  😕

3 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I don't know, I just know how many outside GDC reacted to the whole thing at the time. Many thought it was "badass", "funny" or more on the negative side, "embarrassing", but no one was overly concerned with Billie's "state". Maybe they ought to have been, but the really concerned people mostly were and still are to be found in our little GDC bubble. 

Yeah but how many people knew something was wrong at that point? When I saw it I didn't know. I thought he was being a Rockstar. It wasn't until I saw the interview from earlier and some other stuff that I realized something was wrong. And in retrospect yeah he's not right and that's when more got concerned with his state.

I think what the dude wanted to ask about Morrissey is "is the dude actually racist?" Lol

19 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He doesn’t at all - the interviewer did. I actually think his response was perfect for the situation cause he alluded to it ‘making people feel bad’ without going into it any further and not having it hijack the interview or lower the mood.

24 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I hope he was just being sarcastic/ joking around when he said that😖

10 minutes ago, jumpsalty said:

He doesn’t at all - the interviewer did. I actually think his response was perfect for the situation cause he alluded to it ‘making people feel bad’ without going into it any further and not having it hijack the interview or lower the mood.

He said that was his intention last time they played there to make people feel bad and okay I get that he’s tying it in to the current music and it wasn’t the place to talk about it. But he’s full of shit. He was blacked out and had no “intention” whatsoever.  But I see your point.

They’re promoting their new album, what was he supposed to say? Make a monologue about how bad that time of his life (7 years ago) was? Start to talk about that for the 100d time, when they addressed it basically in every RR era’s interview, talking about that episode or more in general convincing worried fans that he was over it? I think we fans are the only ones who still need to get over that, I understand that people get worried, that’s also nice in some way, but lately every time they release an interview it looks like a Freud lecture in here :D 

32 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He didn’t describe it as “badass,” the radio host did. He looked a bit uncomfortable with that description and tried to just play if off, I think, though I wish he’d said something more serious.

I’m with you 100% on this, though. RevRad was such a light, genuine, truly healthy and celebratory time in the band’s career – probably the best in terms of them finding peace and happiness from my perspective. This era already feels like they’re backpedaling from such a great era and that makes me very sad. I don’t want to overreact before diving into this new era a little more, but I always told myself I’d make my exit as a fan after 15 years if they ever went back to that 2012 stuff. I won’t hesitate. I want my favorite band to make me happy and I’m just not dealing with that crap all over again. 

Just now, J a c said:

They’re promoting their new album, what was he supposed to say? Make a monologue about how bad that time of his life (7 years ago) was? Start to talk about that for the 100d time, when they addressed it basically in every RR era’s interview, talking about that episode or more in general convincing worried fans that he was over it? I think we fans are the only ones who still need to get over that, I understand that people get worried, that’s also nice in some way, but lately every time they release an interview it looks like a Freud lecture in here :D 

Honestly? I thought he was going to say that the last time went a little sideways and they’re now back with the intention to have fun and a positive experience. That’s all you need to say and still be honest.  He wouldn’t have to go into detail because that all came out in the media years ago.  Just answer why you decide to come back and spin it positive and redemptive instead of rewriting history. That’s not to much to ask from someone who just claimed that he and his band are the only ones that “cut through all the bullshit.” 

Archived