Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage

Sanity Loan

10 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

I agree on them spacing it all out nicely. Of course it's not all bad and I see the point in a lot of it but it's just not up my alley. Instagram posts with flossing unicorns and Tik Tok? I'm all for reaching new fans but since when are their target audience 8 year olds? It all feels very 'how do u do fellow kids' to me. What really bothers me though is the lack of pride/passion showing. I'm convinced it's there but the cringey feverish write ups that has come with every release so far doesn't show it. They don't really show it in interviews either. Mike said 'it's their best work' but he always says that. I believe he might be sincere but I'm just not feeling it. I want to feed off their excitement like I have previously but right now it's not there. I mean damn, some fans even think they're just trolling. 

When I said I desperately want them to up their game I was being dramatic lol. Probably still scarred from the RevRad era and lack of pro shot footage etc, it's definitely better this time around so far but again I'm not feeling it. The NHL thing is a good move and so is their increased presence on social media. Going back to iHeart, genius. I love this era, I just wish they'd show their love for it too because I know it's there. I get that they're trying to be BaDaSs or something but right now it just comes off as not caring, which decreases my excitement for the new stuff. 

You're spot on about the how do you do fellow kids vibe. They're missing their target audience with all this unicorny stuff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jollyroger118 said:

I think they're gonna be stuck in this weird vortex of shitty "badass" music until Billie accepts his age. I know a lot of you are gonna be like its not about age and he doesn't have to grow up but we're never gonna get the deep introspective lyrics he's capable of until he stops trying to keep the fire of youth alive and just moves on. I know the man who wrote some of the most amazing lyrics ive ever heard is still in there but he's way too obsessed with being a rebel, whatever the fuck that even means today, to write some real shit from the heart. 

Amen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I have a course on art marketing, so I could write an essay on how FOAM is promoted, but the problem is that the whole thing is so all over the place that I have no idea how to analyze it. It literally spans from things that are reasonable and make sense all the way to a territory of what seems to be complete bullshit. In order from meaningful to fuckery:

Appearances - nothing to fuck up here 

Hella Mega and NHL - both good for visibility and exposure to new audiences, nothing to criticize here, my only comment is that introducing FRA as a jingle might influence its reception as a single (if it is a single) - either way, it'd be cool to at least play it live so that it doesn't look like 2 minutes of the 26 minute album is just an ad jingle.

Nothing out of the ordinary on social media, except for the now apparently aborted attempt at tiktok (no it wasn't a good idea). Looking at the vast emptiness of their Twitters, it's likely futile to try to get them to create content anywhere other than on IG, so I'd just stick to IG and keep the lives going. (Honorable mention to the entire FOAM video being an ad on youtube). I almost forgot the song descriptions that are basically a rehash of what they did for FBHT. It worked in character, not so much the way it's done now.

Visuals - what the fuck is this unicorn thing, who approved it and most importantly, why. I guess the idea was to make something dank, similarly to GFB, but the idea of GFB made sense. Videos aren't weird, thankfully.

Interviews - what the fuck...what the fuck. No one is this stupid, so there has to be a reason why they're saying things like "maybe we'll release something else before the tour starts" while they're promoting an album, but why?

If it wasn't for statements like this, the whole thing would look less unfocused and uncoordinated. This is super confusing, because when you think of what budget they're working with, they're most definitely bullshitting, because releasing something else would kind of fuck this entire project over, and they most definitely want to make money, but "we'll just do something else cha cha chaaaa" simply really isn't what you'd say to promote anything for fuck sake. The rest of the promo isn't so weird and isn't bad, but this "we don't give a fuck hee hee" undermines any serious effort.

Maybe this isn't that bad but it's been a month and I'm still wondering what exactly is all this supposed to mean. Talk about delivering a clear message.

I love your perfect analysis. All of this is deeply confusing. And considering all the points you mentioned, I still don’t get why people get angry and feel personally offended when some of us speculate that they can’t be really serious about all this shit. I mean, they are literally throwing the hints in our faces. Father of All Mockers? Nothing says fuck you like a unicorn? Come on. I’m not saying MOOTIK or any other wild theory is real, but I’m just still not buying that they are 100% behind this either, and that has nothing to do with whether I like the new music or not. It’s just all too weird, and it’s lacking the usual enthusiasm and joyful excitement for a new era. And most of all, as someone here has said before, it’s lacking heart. So they’re either doing it on purpose and sending a pretty clear message – or, well, I honestly don’t know what’s going on in their heads.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jollyroger118 said:

I think they're gonna be stuck in this weird vortex of shitty "badass" music until Billie accepts his age. I know a lot of you are gonna be like its not about age and he doesn't have to grow up but we're never gonna get the deep introspective lyrics he's capable of until he stops trying to keep the fire of youth alive and just moves on. I know the man who wrote some of the most amazing lyrics ive ever heard is still in there but he's way too obsessed with being a rebel, whatever the fuck that even means today, to write some real shit from the heart. 

You might be into something...that said, I thought he was over it after revrad and Longshot. Both seem mature and they're pretty introspective. This feels like a step back. 

3 hours ago, Thatsername said:

I love your perfect analysis. All of this is deeply confusing. And considering all the points you mentioned, I still don’t get why people get angry and feel personally offended when some of us speculate that they can’t be really serious about all this shit. I mean, they are literally throwing the hints in our faces. Father of All Mockers? Nothing says fuck you like a unicorn? Come on. I’m not saying MOOTIK or any other wild theory is real, but I’m just still not buying that they are 100% behind this either, and that has nothing to do with whether I like the new music or not. It’s just all too weird, and it’s lacking the usual enthusiasm and joyful excitement for a new era. And most of all, as someone here has said before, it’s lacking heart. So they’re either doing it on purpose and sending a pretty clear message – or, well, I honestly don’t know what’s going on in their heads.

It does look like they're hinting, but the whole thing is so uncoordinated (now they're backpedaling with the whole thing) that it's possible that they're really just bullshitting to get Warner to negotiate and there's nothing else behind it. But you're right that it doesn't seem very heartfelt either way.

• Like 1

Drinking and listening to Green Day tonight.  

The best thing about Green is the EMOTION behind their songs.  The way their music can make you feel good AND bad at the same time.  

I hope that this album has a gut wrenching song. Or ten.  Doesn't have to be a ballad to do that, it just takes the right emotional key.  

that got my thinking about which Green Day records really wreck me emotionally.   

American Idiot.  Fo' Sho'.  Every note.  

Certain parts of Insomniac (Stuart and Ave)

Nimrod is an emotional roller-coaster.

Large portions of 21st Breakdown (Viva La Gloria in particular)

The Trilogy (Around this time I felt as if Billie and I were going through similar circumstances.  2012 was a bitch of a year and I was drinking A LOT.  Listener AND listen-EE were messed up for those albums, haha)

Revolution Radio (This album was packed with emotion for me.  I get teary eyed at at least 8 of the 12 tracks, sometimes more!)

Their other albums are great, but is anybody sobbing to an album called Dookie?   If you are, that's cool.  But for me it doesn't have any tearjerkers.   and lately that's what makes me feel better. 

Everybody's been very critical of the new songs, but I don't think they are as vapid as everyone thinks.   the new title tracks speaks of depression and dealing with a lack of trust and strong relationships.  For an album with a puking fictional creature on the front, and the arm of what is without a doubt the sexiest creature alive, I think 2020 Green Day will astound us with their depth.   

Just wait.  

It ain't called Father of all Motherfuckers because it's weak.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The Trilogy (Around this time I felt as if Billie and I were going through similar circumstances.  2012 was a bitch of a year and I was drinking A LOT.  Listener AND listen-EE were messed up for those albums, haha)

Seriously I only listen to trilogy songs when I'm drunk (so everyday). But I don't know why.... I feel like there is a drunking vibe in those songs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Seriously I only listen to trilogy songs when I'm drunk (so everyday). But I don't know why.... I feel like there is a drunking vibe in those songs.

I'm climbing on top of furniture and exhausting myself to songs off of Tre!  

I went to spotify with the intention of listening to American Idiot but I can't stop listening to Tre!  

• Like 1

I think it’s far too early to judge the whole FOAM era as anything yet and I agree that the lyrics aren’t as deep as Billie has written before but they’re not without meaning either.  Whether it’s age related or not, only he knows, but Billie has always been someone who, for me, writes honestly about what he’s feeling/going through at the time and his life is very different now from other periods so the music is going to be very different and I don’t have a problem with that, it’s what happens when you have a long career.  You can clearly see what went before influences their next release, and so feel Revrad was very much a reflection on their lives and success but am glad they have moved on again from that.  

Re their excitement for this era, I don’t agree they are not excited for it but I think they also have the business stuff going on and have no doubt, GD is a business, and it’s touring they love which they have to wait bloody months for!  So I feel almost like it’s a keeping the brakes on thing. I never felt they were rubbing their hands in glee at the Warner contract being done and wouldn’t be at all surprised if they stay with Warner but think they will try to gain some flexibility in what they can do, e.g. not stick to traditional releases of albums.

As for promotion, I honestly can picture them sitting around with Crush/Warner agreeing this detailed plan, this will be like this, this how that'll work etc etc, then off they go and say and do random stuff that has their “people” holding their heads in their hands, I wouldn’t like to try and corral Billie, Mike and Tre into sticking with a plan 😂😂

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

I think it’s far too early to judge the whole FOAM era as anything yet and I agree that the lyrics aren’t as deep as Billie has written before but they’re not without meaning either.  Whether it’s age related or not, only he knows, but Billie has always been someone who, for me, writes honestly about what he’s feeling/going through at the time and his life is very different now from other periods so the music is going to be very different and I don’t have a problem with that, it’s what happens when you have a long career.  You can clearly see what went before influences their next release, and so feel Revrad was very much a reflection on their lives and success but am glad they have moved on again from that.  

Re their excitement for this era, I don’t agree they are not excited for it but I think they also have the business stuff going on and have no doubt, GD is a business, and it’s touring they love which they have to wait bloody months for!  So I feel almost like it’s a keeping the brakes on thing. I never felt they were rubbing their hands in glee at the Warner contract being done and wouldn’t be at all surprised if they stay with Warner but think they will try to gain some flexibility in what they can do, e.g. not stick to traditional releases of albums.

As for promotion, I honestly can picture them sitting around with Crush/Warner agreeing this detailed plan, this will be like this, this how that'll work etc etc, then off they go and say and do random stuff that has their “people” holding their heads in their hands, I wouldn’t like to try and corral Billie, Mike and Tre into sticking with a plan 😂😂

Welcome back @jengd   👊

If they feel like they have the brakes on right now then instead of more vacations they could always do a few surprise shows. I would think if they are itching to get on tour they would definitely want to do some warm up shows in those smaller cities and states where the HM tour isn’t playing. I’m disappointed such a thing hasn’t been announced yet. There’s so few live performances on the schedule right now between now and March. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume the idea is to sell out HM before anything else is announced or done. I doubt I'm the only one who would be happy with seeing a smaller show instead.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What does that mean (aged?)

Darn, trying to catch up quickly it was meant to say GD only shows 😂

19 minutes ago, jengd said:

Darn, trying to catch up quickly it was meant to say GD only shows 😂

I think at the time it seemed like they were referring to the GD only shows in Asia in March and one or two European shows and festivals. No sign yet of a smaller cities club or theatre tour.  

But as @Beerjeezus said, they may need to sell out the HM shows first. It could be a contractual thing that limits them promoting other shows nearby.

• Like 2

What about Fire Ready Aim!?   Is it being played on any radio stations or making any headway?  

I love that Billie has changed his lyrics up this time around.  He got criticized for his use of 'buzz words' from the 21st Century Breakdown era onward, and while creating a unique vocabulary for your band makes the whole experience even better, it is time switch out some of those said 'buzz words'. 

Hyperbole is a welcome addition to Green Day Language, as is Money, and some of the really cool but old and familiar ones makes appearances.   Blood, liars, Poison, riots - the classics, haha.  

Father of All is more lyrically like prior Green Day than Ready Fire Aim.    I hope that the album sounds less and less Green Day as the tracks pound by.  It gets weirder and weirder until the whole thing comes crashing into a train wreck of Cacaphony, but good.    Like two different bands playing at the same time.   Bell and Sabastian.  You get the idea, Paul.   

Also, still no confirmation of a track list?  

20 hours ago, That Dude said:

What about Fire Ready Aim!?   Is it being played on any radio stations or making any headway?  

I love that Billie has changed his lyrics up this time around.  He got criticized for his use of 'buzz words' from the 21st Century Breakdown era onward, and while creating a unique vocabulary for your band makes the whole experience even better, it is time switch out some of those said 'buzz words'. 

Hyperbole is a welcome addition to Green Day Language, as is Money, and some of the really cool but old and familiar ones makes appearances.   Blood, liars, Poison, riots - the classics, haha.  

Father of All is more lyrically like prior Green Day than Ready Fire Aim.    I hope that the album sounds less and less Green Day as the tracks pound by.  It gets weirder and weirder until the whole thing comes crashing into a train wreck of Cacaphony, but good.    Like two different bands playing at the same time.   Bell and Sabastian.  You get the idea, Paul.   

Also, still no confirmation of a track list?  

We know like 7/10 song titles

5 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

We know like 7/10 song titles

Father of All...

Meet Me on the Rooftop

Junkies on a High

Sugar Youth

The Art of the Deal with the Devil

Bulletproof Backpack

Fire, Ready, Aim

These are what we have so far. I wonder if the next single will be a new title or one of the unheard five? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Father of All...

Meet Me on the Rooftop

Junkies on a High

Sugar Youth

The Art of the Deal with the Devil

Bulletproof Backpack

Fire, Ready, Aim

These are what we have so far. I wonder if the next single will be a new title or one of the unheard five? 

Idiot Love is one of the titles according to Matt

3 minutes ago, Killjoy From Detroit said:

Idiot Love is one of the titles according to Matt

No it isn’t. That was fake.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

No it isn’t. That was fake.

Oh, then Matt should remove it from the song titles in the first page of this thread

1 hour ago, Killjoy From Detroit said:

Oh, then Matt should remove it from the song titles in the first page of this thread

I didn’t see that there. I’m pretty sure it was debunked (it was one of those titles on a tracklist that anyone could edit and was identified as track two that we now know is FRA.) I’ve asked him to check again and edit if necessary. 

• Like 1

• BeachBum changed the title to Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic