Sign in to follow this  
pacejunkie punk

Joey Armstrong talks Green Day on the Trap Set podcast

neverdone2000

Wow! So impressed with Joey in this. He is excellent at expressing himself. Really intelligent. And it was so interesting hearing him talk about Billie and GD. He never talks about them. But he did say in this he no longer feels like he can’t talk about his dad and the band. 

• Like 2

PleasedToMeetMe

Got to hang out and eat candy with Joey briefly around 5 years ago in Minneapolis. Super cool dude!

Sarcasm
41 minutes ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

Got to hang out and eat candy with Joey briefly around 5 years ago in Minneapolis. Super cool dude!

wasn't he 8 

• Haha 2

WhiteTim
Just now, Sarcasm said:

wasn't he 8 

that'd been Jakob if I'm not mistaken Joey's the oldest 

The Insider

That was awesome - I loved how he talked about his Mum ..... how he rebelled with sport 😆Also the part where he dropped out of college his parents questioned that he only really had one tour downunder planned for the year........

Thanks for posting @pacejunkie punk

• Like 2

J a c

Very interesting to listen to, thanks for sharing! It’s nice to hear how much he’s aware of his privileged position, and how he’s using it in a smart and respectful way. Not something to take from granted in in these contexts, some nice parenting is going on over there! 

Also cool to hear his comments on drummers and “wow” moments in music, it’s awesome how Milton Keynes left such a huge impact also on him, and the final bit about Tre is so so nice!  

• Like 2

jengd

What a great podcast, sensible questions the guy asked and a good balance of subjects.  What an interesting listen and what a charming and thoughtful young man Joey is.  Really impressed by him and his attitude and what a credit to Billie and Adrienne, good job on bringing him up to be like this given dad’s job and all that goes with it!  Anyone else think it quite funny (but normal and healthy) that he’s not sure how old his dad was when his grandpa died and we probably all know exactly 😂

• Like 3

nobodylikeswarning

I honestly love Joey and how talented he is so this podcast is gonna be a good listen! :) 

jengd

If anyone is struggling with this, @Give_Me_Novacaine90 asked if a I could transcribe it for our friends who don't have English as their first language.  I have made a start and hope to get it here for you guys early next week.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Vintage Disciple

This was a great listen.  He seems so thoughtful and grounded and love that he seems to have his dad's laugh!

• Like 2

pacejunkie punk

Thanks @jengd for transcribing!  (I thought the same thing about him not knowing how old his dad was when his grandfather died. It’s funny the stuff we know that they probably never think about).

In the meantime, I just summarized a lot of it from listening the first time. Here’s some of the things he talks about...

He talks about growing up with drums in the house and how he was always drawn to the drums, he says his great grandfather, grandfather, Uncle are all drummers and he describes his dad as a great drummer too. 

He first went on tour with Green Day when he was six months old. Growing up watching them play for 3 hours a night from the sides was the best education and experience for him. He got to see how hard they work and how high their standards are. 

He describes his mother as inspirational for the charity work she does, she wants to save the world and she’s the sweetest person on earth. 

One of his earliest memories is camping in a tent in his backyard of his first home in Berkeley with his brother, dad and uncle and seeing deer walk by.

He’s lived in Berkeley, Oakland and Piedmont. He first went to a Montessori school in Berkeley, then a private school in Oakland in 4th grade and had a hard time transitioning. A teacher suggested he join the school rock band and that’s how he started making more friends. His dad also told him to join the jazz band and orchestra. He played drums for school musicals including Le Miserables with the Becker kids acting onstage. He’s known the Beckers since he was three and their moms were pregnant with their little brothers. Max and Cole are like his brothers and he describes Jakob as his best friend.

He went to college in San Diego for a year then transferred to the New School for Jazz in NYC but when he told them he needed to work around his tour schedule because his band was touring Australia, the school told him to go pursue that because he was already where most studentswanted to be and the school would always be there for him. When he told this to his parents they were concerned because he only had one tour and what would he do then. So they told him if he wasn’t going to school he had to agree to practice 4-5 hours a day, study privately under several drumming teachers and basically take it seriously. He did.

He talks about Tre as a mentor and how much he learned from him, his stamina and his style. 

He was asked about appreciating everything he knows he was given (his privilege growing up). I forget exactly how he said it (something like not being an asshole is how he shows his appreciation) but it was a good question and I liked his answer. He doesn’t deny that he has advantages over other kids but he tries to not take it for granted and he also works hard. 

Oh and thanks @The Insider for reminding me of this last one... that with a rock star dad he was asked how he found a way to rebel and he said he did it by being really into sports 😄 and also dressing in light colors (not black) and generally subverting people’s expectations of him. 

• Like 4

DadBod

Overall just a well produced podcast. Great questions about his childhood and musical influences. Billie and 80 have a done a great job of raising those 2 boys. I think the part that hit me most, ironically, was the part where he dropped out of school and his parents questioned his choice and showed some tough love. 

• Like 3

IcyMoffatt
On 8/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

Thanks @jengd for transcribing!  (I thought the same thing about him not knowing how old his dad was when his grandfather died. It’s funny the stuff we know that they probably never think about).

In the meantime, I just summarized a lot of it from listening the first time. Here’s some of the things he talks about...

He talks about growing up with drums in the house and how he was always drawn to the drums, he says his great grandfather, grandfather, Uncle are all drummers and he describes his dad as a great drummer too. 

He first went on tour with Green Day when he was six months old. Growing up watching them play for 3 hours a night from the sides was the best education and experience for him. He got to see how hard they work and how high their standards are. 

He describes his mother as inspirational for the charity work she does, she wants to save the world and she’s the sweetest person on earth. 

One of his earliest memories is camping in a tent in his backyard of his first home in Berkeley with his brother, dad and uncle and seeing deer walk by.

He’s lived in Berkeley, Oakland and Piedmont. He first went to a Montessori school in Berkeley, then a private school in Oakland in 4th grade and had a hard time transitioning. A teacher suggested he join the school rock band and that’s how he started making more friends. His dad also told him to join the jazz band and orchestra. He played drums for school musicals including Le Miserables with the Becker kids acting onstage. He’s known the Beckers since he was three and their moms were pregnant with their little brothers. Max and Cole are like his brothers and he describes Jakob as his best friend.

He went to college in San Diego for a year then transferred to the New School for Jazz in NYC but when he told them he needed to work around his tour schedule because his band was touring Australia, the school told him to go pursue that because he was already where most studentswanted to be and the school would always be there for him. When he told this to his parents they were concerned because he only had one tour and what would he do then. So they told him if he wasn’t going to school he had to agree to practice 4-5 hours a day, study privately under several drumming teachers and basically take it seriously. He did.

He talks about Tre as a mentor and how much he learned from him, his stamina and his style. 

He was asked about appreciating everything he knows he was given (his privilege growing up). I forget exactly how he said it (something like not being an asshole is how he shows his appreciation) but it was a good question and I liked his answer. He doesn’t deny that he has advantages over other kids but he tries to not take it for granted and he also works hard. 

Oh and thanks @The Insider for reminding me of this last one... that with a rock star dad he was asked how he found a way to rebel and he said he did it by being really into sports 😄 and also dressing in light colors (not black) and generally subverting people’s expectations of him. 

I saw the news on Facebook yesterday from the Italian fanclub. Your summerise has been copy and paste by them without saying you were the one who wrote it. They moved your sentence about Tré Cool up in the text, but the rest is identical.

pacejunkie punk
13 minutes ago, IcyMoffatt said:

I saw the news on Facebook yesterday from the Italian fanclub. Your summerise has been copy and paste by them without saying you were the one who wrote it. They moved your sentence about Tré Cool up in the text, but the rest is identical.

Yeah they’re weasels. They steal everyone’s stuff and rarely credit 😠

Maybe if people keep publicly shaming them they’ll stop.

PursuitOfEpicness

From one of the Green Day biographies I own I remember Billie joe saying something very along the lines of what Joey said about Adrienne. And he definitely also said "She's literally the sweetest person on earth". She sounds amazing, being a fan aside, the whole family just seems like amazing people.

• Like 1

jengd
3 hours ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

From one of the Green Day biographies I own I remember Billie joe saying something very along the lines of what Joey said about Adrienne. And he definitely also said "She's literally the sweetest person on earth". She sounds amazing, being a fan aside, the whole family just seems like amazing people.

Honestly, Joey sounded like mini Billie a lot of the time.  That’s not a criticism, he was genuine but he obviously is close to his dad and loves his family so I guess his values are the same.  He was pretty adorable, just like dad! 😂

• Like 1

Beerjeezus
30 minutes ago, jengd said:

Honestly, Joey sounded like mini Billie a lot of the time.  That’s not a criticism, he was genuine but he obviously is close to his dad and loves his family so I guess his values are the same.  He was pretty adorable, just like dad! 😂

I thought the way he talks with a lot of filler words and sometimes gets lost in his sentence is a lot like Billie.

• Like 2

J a c
8 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I thought the way he talks with a lot of filler words and sometimes gets lost in his sentence is a lot like Billie.

Y’know Super Family Showdown :D 

• Haha 3

Melodyisdestiny

Thank you for posting these! 😀

• Thanks 1