C+V Trackless found????????

Greendazefan69

Well since it has been roughly 18 years since the album started being recorded I figured it would be important for the truth about the lost album’s contents to finally come forward on it’s anniversary. The reason I did this project was to find out the truth, the truth about what happened to the album. So that not only would I finally get the answers I was looking for but so the entire Green Day Fanbase could finally see this long lost treasure of the music world. Cigarettes And Valentines to spite vanishing from the world was one of the most important moments in Green day’s history because not only did it stand as an album that soon became shrouded in mystery, but also the root from which one of the greatest albums ever produced would be conceived. An album that would not only change the way the young look at politics but also become an everlasting anthem to are deepest and strongest emotions. This lost album was the bridge, that took Green day from being a cheesy punk rock band of the 80’s to a new age punk form that would forever change the face of music. Sure, Green day would have fallen apart entirely if this broken distorted mess of an album came out, but if it weren’t for the fall of this album we would have never gotten American Idiot. After this album was lost Green day almost stopped making music, they tried to remake it but it just wasn’t the same. Chris Lord Alge who had actually criticized the album heavily actually ended up being the one who helped Green Day Get Back up on there feat afterward and try to make something new.

But this is where the questions get asked. What happened to the album…. what was on it, would it ever be released. And it was these questions that I asked myself diving into this album. And what you are about to read his a short overview of my findings.

The  Album was recorded at Studio 880 in July-August of 2002 and the final master tapes were compiled at Sterling Sound in New York city. In the January of 2003 somebody broke into Sterling sound, and made their way into the back where the master tapes for several albums were located. the individuals stole the album along with several other demo tapes form various other bands. Though Green Day eventually was able to track down who stole them the album still remains unreleased to this day. Or so we thought…..

I first heard about this album three years ago when I was researching unreleased songs by Green Day,  I had been archiving and collecting footage from live shows for a long time but the fact that they had an entire missing album fascinated me. I saw hundreds of theory’s and fan-made track-lists but never anything real. So I started looking into it for myself, speaking with those who worked at Sterling Sound along with looking at police records and even using Archive.org’s way back machine to help look through Green day’s blogs and records for songs that were being recorded between July - August 2002.

In the end it seemed hopeless like I would never be able to get my hands on anything real about this album. But I finally got a lucky break when The Complete Deluxe version of the album was finally found on the back of a early preference version of American Idiot. conformation of this can be found on John Roecker’s Twitter page with a photo of the album track-list that he uploaded.

THE PROOF

Mike’s Interview with Dj Rossar In his interview Mike confirms the names of 3 songs from C&V. Walk Away, Dropout, and Waste Away. 2 of these songs appear on the track-list of the CD John Roecker shared.

Favourite Son & Lights Out - A lot of people used to speculate that Lights Out wasn't actually a 21st Century Breakdown era track (despite it's appearance on the Know Your Enemy single). Now that I've seen both of these songs appearing in John's photo, I think it's easy to confirm this. Listen to Lights Out and Favourite Son back-to-back. The similarities are everywhere. From the drum mixing to the guitar tone and even Billie's vocal performance, everything matches. Billie always sounds different on every Green Day album, and the most odd thing about Lights Out was how it never matched his singing style for the 21st Century Breakdown era. After now assuming both these songs appeared on the same album, it makes sense that the production sounds so similar, and different to any other Green Day album out there.

The title track - It literally appears right there on the list. If the song Cigarettes & Valentines is going to appear anywhere, surely it'd be on the album named after it?

Shoplifter - This song also shares the same vocal style and production as Favourite Son and Lights Out. That's now three tracks that sound like they're from the same album, all appearing on a track-list together.

Too Much Too Soon - This song was confirmed by Billie to be originally from Cigarettes & Valentines. It's yet another song that appears on the list in the photo.

Wasteaway - Was released in a slower form on Shenanigans Under “Rotting” (With “Don’t want to Fall In Love” being oddly faster then it’s demo”) and we just never new the original name of the song until now. Proof can be found through listening to the over all theme. The song was evidently shorter in earlier versions and the  and thus is why it matches the timestamp of  “Waste Away”

What about the rest?

I can't say much about the presence of FBHT and TN songs on that list, nor the surprising appearance of “Horseshoes and Handgrenades”… but I suppose it makes sense considering the over all theme of the album. “Governator” is a bit of a tricky one,  it always sounded like a scrapped song by The Network rather than a Green Day song, but it ended up being released under the Green Day name, so seeing it appear amongst the others doesn't seem too unreasonable. As for songs like "Lately", "Too Young", and "End Of The World”, it’s so obvious that these are just renamed songs that we are now just learning the original names of. Matching the time stamps and that we see on the list for these songs and the time stamps for “Youngblood” “Private Hell”  “Roshambo” and ”Rotting Demo” the proof is undeniable, and the over all theme of each song prove it further.

So this means the album is no longer lost, we have the complete Album. Now when it comes to their cover of 19th Nervous Break down that was only intended to be released on deluxe versions of the album. The version I obtained is the regular version and hopefully the audio of the deluxe version will be uploaded soon but this is the list which like I said this has been confirmed by the studios int the interview I did with one of the managers at the studio

1 Too Much Too Soon

2 Shoplifter

3  Governator (I’ll Be Back)

4  Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

5 The Pedestrian

6 Too Young (Youngblood) 2:32

7 Lights Out

8 Lately (One More Year/Private Hell) 2:51

9 Cigarettes & Valentines

10 End of the World (Roshambo) 2:49

11 Walk Away

12 Broadway

13 Waste Away (Early Faster Paced Version Of Rotting) 2:24

14 Dropout (Stay The Night) 4:41

15  Favourite Son

This is a list of songs that were practiced but never actually included on the Album.

1. What About Today (Early Version Of Spike).

2. Things I Heard Today.

3. Clusterbomb: (Early Letterbomb without a mention of Saint Jimmy Or The Jesus Of Suburbia and alternate piano intro).

4. Minnesota Girl.

5. Tales From Another Broken Home: (With Alternate intro).

6. Right Hand A Rama.

7. When It’s Time.

I’m just glad that it is finally out there, i’ve devoted so much time to all of this, and hopefully the entire Green Day Community can benefit from my findings. And even if the tape I have is not the true album, maybe this getting out to the world, will finally coax out the truth

Note: Some quotes in this article are taken from another article that spoke about the same subject. Certain facts have been corrected based on recently surfaced information that has come forward since the article was written.

No Copyright Intended.

40 minutes ago, Greendazefan69 said:

No Copyright Intended.

thank god

Whether this is actually C&V or whatever people want to believe it is, THANK GOD this album didn't release on it's own. I don't think any of these songs would have held their own in the mainstream. When comparing even the best of these songs to the hits from AI, in my opinion, they don't really come close. The band would have a whole different story if this was the follow up to Warning.  

Rotting was recorded in 95 and there's an early version of it on C&V? Just one of the many issues I see in your post

The Sterling Sound disc in John’s picture doesn’t mean they’re b-sides from one proper album labels routinely make reference discs for certain employees (ie A&Rs, executives, etc) I have several reference discs from labels I worked with that has songs that was recorded during several different albums 

Archived