Next Album Anticipation Thread....Chapter 2

Hermione

5 minutes ago, Jrem said:

They don't wanna any extra competition for the artists they're really tryna make money off of right now

Oh I see...however, it doesn't seem to me that things would have been much different if it wasn't for Warner right now. I remember they said they didn't have a lot written for RevRad (most of it was good tho) and now there's the nEw aLbUm. To be honest, it rather looks like they're in a lower point creatively. (As in not getting a lot done and when they do it's decent but not utterly mindblowing). Maybe the new album surprises me. I'm not hopeful tho.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TJChrobo said:

Albums and music are investments from labels. It would require them to promote, distribute, and market each thing to some degree. Which means paying people or platforms to do so. If the ends don’t justify the means they would rather use that money on other artists or wait until they are ready to push a full product that they feel confidant on. It’s all about money. Also, if Green Day is on a contract that is dictated by the number of albums, they don’t want to have them fulfill the contract with one off EPs/singles/albums. They want to squeeze all the profit they can out of the contract. I’m sure Green Day is a safe bet with most of their music, but someone behind a desk somewhere has to calculate potential sales and determine if/when is the right time to release music.

Unless, of course, I’m wrong.

youre correct about the majority of that. IMO, i feel the main reason we got a revamped greatest hits collection (which was rather unceremoniously released, aside from, 'HEY LOOK! A NEW SONG/SINGLE!) was to beef up some numbers because revrad likely ultimately fell well short of projections/aspirations of the label. a simple repackaging of previously released material was an easy sell and it hit the market just in time for the holiday shopping season.

1 minute ago, dallasthemenace said:

youre correct about the majority of that. IMO, i feel the main reason we got a revamped greatest hits collection (which was rather unceremoniously released, aside from, 'HEY LOOK! A NEW SONG/SINGLE!) was to beef up some numbers because revrad likely ultimately fell well short of projections/aspirations of the label. a simple repackaging of previously released material was an easy sell and it hit the market just in time for the holiday shopping season.

I don't know about this.. I mean obviously they felt it was a good time to release another greatest hits album, but I don't think it was because RevRad 'fell short'

I don't think a band selling well over a million albums for their TWELFTH album could be viewed as remotely negative. Combine that with a tour averaging over 10,000 people per show 30 years into their career? There is absolutely no way any of that (or anything Green Day produces going forward) could be viewed as falling short lol.

14 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I don't know about this.. I mean obviously they felt it was a good time to release another greatest hits album, but I don't think it was because RevRad 'fell short'

I don't think a band selling well over a million albums for their TWELFTH album could be viewed as remotely negative. Combine that with a tour averaging over 10,000 people per show 30 years into their career? There is absolutely no way any of that (or anything Green Day produces going forward) could be viewed as falling short lol.

RevRad sold well over a million? Do you know the actual numbers? I didn’t think it came anywhere close that.

2 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

You know, after watching some Coverups footage from Saturday, I gotta be honest when I say that I sure as hell don't understand why Green Day aren't wanting to put out new music.

Billie somehow manages to look and sound wonderful, even approaching 50. And the same goes for the other members of the band, including Kevin. You'd think they'd be aware of how lucky they are to have a chance to stay relevant going into their 13th album and 30th year, and want to put it out quick while they can.

Maybe they are concerned with their writing quality? I honestly don't get it. If I was approaching 50, and still had the chops the deliver great performances and still looked attractive enough to appeal to young people, I'd put out an album every damn year.

If the songs aren't good enough they're not good enough. No matter how great they look or sound.

The suggestion from Matt that they finished, then went back to add (or swap out) new songs to me is a good sign that they've got clear standards going into this album and appear to want to make it the very best thing they can, rather than just shit something out. Hopefully it leads to a high quality album.

The major label machine has not really shifted with the times. The label wants to maximize profits for each of their acts and sometimes that doesn’t equal releasing as much music as possible. For a band like Green Day they think they know what works, and that’s putting all their money into a big marketing/promo strategy with a new album and world tour every 2-3 years. With artists who are on Top 40 Radio this strategy may be different.

But for a band like Green Day they could be doing so much more if they broke free from that mold. The question is - will the freedom to put out music more regularly be worth sacrificing the capital and support a major label provides them?

I would just hope that if they were to break free from warner and release new music more often it would still be quality over quantity 

5 minutes ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

I would just hope that if they were to break free from warner and release new music more often it would still be quality over quantity 

Like the Trilogy? 

Sorry I couldn’t resist 😂

6 minutes ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

Green Day wouldn’t put something out if they didn’t think it was up to snuff. But they can’t control the public perception to it and with putting out more music of course there would be more people that dislike it. 

1 minute ago, Alan86 said:

Like the Trilogy? 

Hide contents

Sorry I couldn’t resist 😂

exactly lmfao

6 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

by current industry standards, it would be. especially when they want/expect them to (consistently) deliver figures on par w/ dookie and AI. AND when theyre trying to milk all they can out of a group of aging rockers who (in the eyes of the executives) likely wont appeal to the teen market for too much longer and are at the end of their contractual obligation anyway.

also, an article from billboard, dated jan 5 2017, indicates sales of revrad at 175,000 copies at that time. i GUARANTEE it has not topped 1,000,000 copies since then. insomniac, to date, has sold 3,000,000+ and is still considered a failure. AI is 16,000,000 worldwide. dookie, 20,000,000 worldwide.

28 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

RevRad sold well over a million? Do you know the actual numbers? I didn’t think it came anywhere close that.

Last I heard, RevRad had sold 700k copies worldwide in early 2017. It's possible that it's reached 1 million copies since then but there aren't any sources that confirm or deny. After the release of the upcoming album, we'll probably get some information on RevRad's performance up to now

The last two comments are contradicting each other heavily about the sales of revrad. 175k sounds more believable

1 minute ago, Asik said:

The last two comments are contradicting each other heavily about the sales of revrad. 175k sounds more believable

@dallasthemenace is referring to US sales. My figure is referring to Worldwide sales. Big difference

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

@dallasthemenace is referring to US sales. My figure is referring to Worldwide sales. Big difference

If im not wrong Usually green day sells more in the us than in all other countries combined

5 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Theres no way rr has sold a million

2 minutes ago, Asik said:

If im not wrong Usually green day sells more in the us than in all other countries combined

That was the trend up until American Idiot. But since then, they sell more outside of the US than in the US. That's true for 21CB, the trilogy and RevRad. At least from what I've seen

I'd be stoked to see them go indie but I can't believe it's happening. It sounds too good to be true, like a lot of things they've said would happen and never did.

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

That was the trend up until American Idiot. But since then, they sell more outside of the US than in the US. That's true for 21CB, the trilogy and RevRad. At least from what I've seen

i dont know where youre getting your figures and info from, but a basic wiki search wildly disagrees with you.

im not being combative or anything, just stating the info im being presented.

anyhow, i digress... this is getting rather off topic...

11 hours ago, JorickF said:

I'm out of the loop. :) What did he do?

Joe was very passionate/adamant that every week that went by on the friday we were going to get the release date.  He also was convinced GD were going to appear on every talk back show probably including Dr Phil - #funtimes

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It looked like a hint at an old albums tour and then...nothing happened.

I remember that at the time I was saying I'd rather see new music good enough to make us forget the nostalgia for the old albums, but fuck that. That's not gonna happen. Embracing it and playing the old stuff would be actually cool.

GD world tour to play dookie in full but

Spoiler

on the flight to Australia BJ turns to the guys & says lets include KFAD on the setlist those Aussies love that shit🤠

Just once I beg you BJ - let me have a concert without this friggin song.

2 minutes ago, dallasthemenace said:

i dont know where youre getting your figures and info from, but a basic wiki search wildly disagrees with you.

im not being combative or anything, just stating the info im being presented.

anyhow, i digress... this is getting rather off topic...

Wiki doesn't show worldwide figures for the trilogy or RevRad and 21CB wiki page says that 21CB sold 1m copies in the US and 4m worldwide so I don't see how wiki proves me wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Century_Breakdown

If they are going indie (please Green Day be an indie punk band again for all us idiots stuck in 1977) part of me hopes they'll change the kind of gigs they play too, obviously the big arenas with confetti cannons and pyros and everything is a fun spectacle but I also just wanna see them as a small, tight, loud punk band in smaller venues delivering hard-hitting punk with no frills.

I think people are making a lot of assumptions about Warner and how they operate. We have no idea how they work, so we can't assume they're "behind the times."

1 hour ago, Asik said:

Theres no way rr has sold a million

RevRad has sold over 1 million copies worldwide! It used to to be on the RevRad Wici page, but isn’t there anymore for some reason. Something like 300k in the US, 200k in Europe and Canada and over 500k around the rest of the world..

58 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't see how wiki proves me wrong

yes, the page for that album does indicate that the majority of 21cb's sales came from outside the US. i will give you that.

however, the link i provided clearly indicates US sales being the main source of units sold (minus 21cb and RR, and trilogy only reflecting us and uk... individual album pages seem to have some varying figures as well), contradicting your notion of majority sales having shifted to outside the US. im also unable to find any source with figures anywhere near what youve quoted for RR.

its ok if you dont see how it fails to substantiate your claims, though the link provided shows it to be to the contrary of what youve said.

either way, im not here for a pissing contest man. ive said what ive said and provided sufficient data to illustrate and clarify. make of it what you will, or dont. either way, cheers to ya. 🥂

i hope the new record comes out (sooner than later) and sells record shattering numbers. everywhere.

i plan to have a taco party the day of release, as i have for each album since insomniac. everyone's invited to my place for tacos! BYOB 😎🍺🍹🍸

• Khaleesi. locked this topic

Archived