Next Album Anticipation Thread....Chapter 2

Hermione

I'm no marketing genius, but it seems that a auper secretive release has no benefit for them. The more publicity, even pre-emptive, seems good for business.

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I'm no marketing genius, but it seems that a auper secretive release has no benefit for them. The more publicity, even pre-emptive, seems good for business.

My point was that they likely have the publicity plan, they're just not ready to execute it. Everyone here is thinking in the now, rather than consider what is to come.

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

My point was that they likely have the publicity plan, they're just not ready to execute it. Everyone here is thinking in the now, rather than consider what is to come.

Oh sure. We have no right to know their plan before it happens. I just find it odd that they are trying to stifle rumors given that rumors are good for business in music. Get people thinking of Green Day and they'll pay more attention when stuff finally gets released. AAR posted "17 days" on their FB and I've been checking daily since. Havent listened to them in years.

7 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

And what is the promotional intention behind Billie telling a random fan about the single, the album and their future label plans? šŸ¤” Why should he blab things like this if it's obviously so important for the band and/or the management to keep things secret? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Could just be Billie'sĀ frustration with the process and delay if the February date is true. Which is why he also mentioned leaving Reprise.

Yeah that makes sense. I feel like once they're ready, the publicity train is gonna be crazy and well enough before the first single drops

I work in marketing, it takes time to build the plan and create all of the components that go with ANY release (print, advertising, music, et. al.). Just have patients and they'll talk whenĀ they are ready. Don't bombard the band or anyone associated with them, with "WhEn Is ThE nEw AlBuM cOmInG?!?!?!" or "GrEn DaY?!?!?". It's rude.

It could be possible that the band finished the record and wanted to just drop it Longshot style, which would be bad marketing. So maybe Crush or the label delayed it. But GD did hire Crush so they should have known this. I guess it depends where the Fall album rumor came from: band or management. If it came from the band, maybe that explains the conflicting Feb release rumor.

12 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Oh sure. We have no right to know their plan before it happens.Ā 

I thought Green Day hired Crush, seems like, Crush hired Green Day.Ā 

Ā 

Just now, DookieLukie said:

It could be possible that the band finished the record and wanted to just drop it Longshot style, which would be bad marketing. So maybe Crush or the label delayed it. But GD did hire Crush so they should have known this. I guess it depends where the Fall album rumor came from: band or management. If it came from the band, maybe that explains the conflicting Feb release rumor.

Billie released the longshot through Crush. Based on his lack of media representation for it (zero media), he wanted it that way. Small, underground, no fuss. The only person who actually spoke about the longshot was Kevin in a podcast, and it was a very brief discussion.Ā 

Maybe he was trying out something with how he released LIFL, maybe not. Time will only tell with what GD does.

Random, yet on topic thought, maybe the switch to Crush was premeditated because Crush has a label side (distributed throughĀ Warner), based on TJ's conversation with Billie in June at the Longshot show, and the old management didn't have that (I don't count Adeline).Ā 

38 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

And what is the promotional intention behind Billie telling a random fan about the single, the album and their future label plans? šŸ¤” Why should he blab things like this if it's obviously so important for the band and/or the management to keep things secret? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Youā€™re trying to make sense of Billieā€™s thinking. Thereā€™s your problem.

57 minutes ago, DadBod said:

Billie released the longshot through Crush. Based on his lack of media representation for it (zero media), he wanted it that way. Small, underground, no fuss. The only person who actually spoke about the longshot was Kevin in a podcast, and it was a very brief discussion.Ā 

Exactly. We tried to get an interview with him about the project and their managemente said he wouldn't give any interview norĀ release a press release

Just now, Alf said:

Exactly. We tried to get an interview with him about the project and their managemente said he wouldn't give any interview norĀ release a press release

That approach is understandable with The Longshot. But with Green Day? I find it hard to believe.

Obviously I know precisely bugger all but it would make sense to me that Crush or Warner or whoever want any rumours this early in advance stifled because they have a plan that involves announcements and generating publicity through well-planned, well-financed means and if, for example, they book interviews with established outlets and they all open with "so hey we already heard about this months ago" it would throw off the plans made to best fit the well-oiled machine of the modern music industry.

Billie, however, is still a teenage punk at heart and just wants to make the music and then release the music, which is why he told some random fan and is fucking off out of the major label machinations as soon as he can.

Maybe that's why he wanted to do the Trilogy, release three albums within a few months and it cuts down the time spent at Warner by a good margin.

59 minutes ago, DadBod said:

Maybe he was trying out something with how he released LIFL, maybe not. Time will only tell with what GD does.

Ā 

Just now, Alf said:

Iā€™m sure Billie would want full media attention for a Green Day album. Itā€™s obvious he only meant the Longshot to be a fun small side project

1 minute ago, Libertine Angel said:

Ā 

Maybe that's why he wanted to do the Trilogy, release three albums within a few months and it cuts down the time spent at Warner by a good margin.

But he said repeatedly the trilogy counted as one album to Warner.

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

But he said repeatedly the trilogy counted as one album to Warner.

Maybe because the three albums together didnā€™t generate much revenue as their last album?Ā 

1 minute ago, Morse Code Guy said:

Maybe because the three albums together didnā€™t generate much revenue as their last album?Ā 

Or because Warner told them it would count as one contractually

Just now, Morse Code Guy said:

No, because they were all part of a single promotion, marketing, tour cycle and therefore taken together like a single investment/revenue stream.

3 minutes ago, Morse Code Guy said:

The band implied they knew it would count as one album before the release.

1 hour ago, Matt. said:

Could just be Billie'sĀ frustration with the process and delay if the February date is true. Which is why he also mentioned leaving Reprise.

When did he mention that?Ā 

I've said on here before that now they're with Crush, I expect a lot of build up and teasing up until the single release, purely based on the likes of FOB and PATD who're also managed by them. I wouldn't be surprised if one day we get a cryptic post on the band's social media with a date, then a prominant presence on social media until that date, to generate hype.

Ā 

If the July 19th has any truth in it at all, I wouldn't expect them to just drop a single out of the blue. If we get a single on Friday, I predict we will be teased about it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

38 minutes ago, Ross_19 said:

If the July 19th has any truth in it at all, I wouldn't expect them to just drop a single out of the blue. If we get a single on Friday, I predict we will be teased about it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Unless itā€™s a side project releaseĀ to fill time until GD promotion starts.Ā 

• Khaleesi. locked this topic

Archived