Billie Joe amps on live concerts

deleteduser7593

So, I've posted this in an old thread but I understand that, being old and not that followed, these days, some posts into it can get easily ''un-noticed''. I'm into a kinda throwback mood for Billie Joe guitars, recenty, and, actually, I tried to go a little bit back in time, trying to learned something new, as well as things I've never known about. In that sense, I'm hoping for you gentle and never ending help, trademark of this beautiful community. Without going deeper than what it takes, I'd like to make a tiny recap of Billie Joe live gear, not for a useless list, but to ask you a few things, if possible. Feel free (AKA do it, please!) to correct me where I'm totally wrong. 

Late 80s: Billie Joe uses his Fernandez with a sort of Yamaha amp. I read somewhere it was a bass amplifier. I also heard him saying he used pretty bad drive pedals when Green Day played in Europe and couldn't use their gear but that doesn't matter. In this period, we know he used 1 amp.

Kerplunk! Tour: Billie Joe uses his Fernandez with a Marshall JCM800 amplifier. 

Dookie Tour: If I remember correctly, Billie Joe plays early promo shows with that JCM800 he used in '92 and '93, changing it later, with a modded 1959 Plexi, a gift by Rob Cavallo, wich was a copy of that one he gave him to record Dookie.

Insomniac Tour- Today: While recording the album, Billie Joe looks for tighter and darker sounds, so he experiments with different amp and pedals (he jammed ''Brain Stew'' while trying some overdrives, said in 2016). But studio things are not what I'm interesting in. If not for one point. Here comes the big ''?'' of my post. I read, many and years ago, that he and Rob, to get a fuller sound, recorded some Insomniac tracks with 2 amps at once. But today, knowning something about double tracking and stuff, I don't know if have to take it as a tale or no. 'Cause he double tracked his guitars on Dookie, too. Even recorded overdubs on earlier records. So, if true, that could mean that, even 1 track, was already double-tracked, in the sense of having 1 signal that was a mix of 2 signals coming off 2 modded plexis, ''Pete'' and the new ''Meat'' (for what I know, a kinda similiar gain mod but slight ''bigger'' and less ''crunchier''). Since then, he showed those 2 amp live pretty everywhere. Still nowadays. But, despite having done lot of researches, about his cabs, his pedals, his effects, even his hand picking ''technique'', I still can't tell how does he use those 2 Marshalls. Together in 1 signal? His guitar tech splits the choosen one depending on the song? Loving them so much, and been for years tracking their old tours, I've seen lots of times Billie Joe coming of stage with just 1 guitar and those 2 amps (+ a cab) behind him and, tru 60 minutes of concert, he never changed a thing in terms of sounds. Not even switched his guitar, 'till Warning came out. 

Any help? Thanks a lot and sorry for the lenght of this post. Sending driven love! 😗

Green+Day+-+Live+%2540+Goat+Island%252C+

Hans & Jason whites guitar tech talk about how the 2 Marshall’s are used in this video. Also talks about Mikes rig as well.

14 minutes ago, DadBod said:

Hans & Jason whites guitar tech talk about how the 2 Marshall’s are used in this video. Also talks about Mikes rig as well.

Yeah, I've seen this one when it came out. As well as that rig tour from 2005 or 2006. But they never talk about using the 2 Marshall heads in contemporary or 1 for a song, 1 for another song. Let's say they never go that deep, to be honest. Thanks, sweetheart 😃

Archived