Lost Green Day Media

Todd

I thought it would be fun to compile a list of lost Green Day media and shed some light on what's missing! There are many more uncirculating recordings that aren't online, but are somewhere in someone's attic or in Green Day's archives. That's the key difference. This is a list of recordings that I suspect are no longer "out there", and may never surface at all. 

1990/08/04 - Glover Field, Peaceful Valley, Washington
A 3 and a half minute video of this show was posted online by radio station KYRS, but was quickly removed. I emailed the station a while back, but never received a reply. 
1991/03/18 - Piner High School, Santa Rosa, California
Darwin Meiners recorded this show and used the footage to make an unoffical Paper Lanterns music video (which can be watched here). The master tape was lost, now all we have is the Paper Lanterns clip.
1991/08/12 - Jayson Larson's House, 9410 Church Road, Grosse Isle, Michigan
At one time, there were two copies of this on VHS. Both went missing after Jayson's family shared the tapes with their friends. 
1991/08/22 - First Existentialist Church, Atlanta, Georgia
I talked to someone who was there and had a tape of this show. He had it transferred to DVD at one point, but he was unable to locate the tape or the DVD. He checked with his friend who had a copy, but they also could not locate it. 
1992/05/30 - West Dennis Community Hall, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
The soundboard tape was lost.
1993/01/03 - Silver Dollar Club, Phoenix, Arizona
Recorded by Jason Keenan. He lost the master tape years ago, but he may have made copies for his friends. Audio from this recording surfaced many years ago, but it is unknown if the video ever will.
1993/01/16 - JC Dobbs, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Video of this show is somewhat of a legend among New Jersey & Philadelphia traders. I've talked to two people who claim that it exists, but they could never find it. 
1993/01/17 - City Gardens, Trenton, New Jersey
Same deal for this show at City Gardens the next day. It's possible that both shows were recorded by the same taper, but never traded. 
1993/02/08 - Stafford Opera House, Bryan, Texas
Video was recorded by Marq Gibbs, who sadly passed away. It is unknown what happened to his videos.
1994/02/24 - Virgin Megastore, Costa Mesa, California
This recording was mentioned on a very old trading site from the early days of the internet. All that is known about it is that 6 songs were recorded, audio only. 
1995/11/09 - Broome County Arena, Binghamton, New York
This is another early internet mention. It was rumored that a recording of Walking Contradiction from this show was aired on TV, but nothing has ever surfaced from it. 
1996/1997 - Green Day Home Video
This one was teased on GreenDay.net and GreenDay.com back in the early nineties. The original release date was supposed to be October 1996, then it got pushed back to Spring 1997. And then it was never released. 
1997/11/14 - Electric Factory, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
This show was allegedly taped by someone who has never shared any of his recordings, and probably never will. 
2003 - Cigarettes & Valentines Master Tapes
(If you choose to believe that someone actually stole these and the band didn't just scrap their songs and start over)
2008/05/15 - Stork Club, Oakland, California
This show was recorded as a video pointed at the floor, but only the audio has ever surfaced
2009/11/23 - NBC's New Year's Eve With Carson Daly, Nokia Plaza, Los Angeles, California
This is the show where Green Day soundchecked "Pulling Teeth", "Having a Blast", "Favorite Son", and "Sassafras Roots". In 2013, audio surfaced of "Pulling Teeth". The person who posted the recording also had "Having a Blast" at one point, but they deleted it. It is possible that audio of the other two songs exists as well. 

Hmm, I've never heard any rumors about that Binghamton show being recorded. I was like 9 at the time so I wasn't there, but I have friends who were there, I think one friend said he got hit in the head with a Snapple bottle. A bunch of my friends commented about it on a Facebook post I made a while back but it was on my old profile that I took down, so I won't be able to find it 🙁

It really sucks when these old shows go missing, because it will probably never be found :(

I know at least two shows from the breakdown era that were recorded and never ever shared or traded. I don't recall the dates exactly but the first one was from July 2009 and it has At the library. The other one is from England 2009, the second night at MEN arena. Both outstanding sources for their age. 

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

I know at least two shows from the breakdown era that were recorded and never ever shared or traded. I don't recall the dates exactly but the first one was from July 2009 and it has At the library. The other one is from England 2009, the second night at MEN arena. Both outstanding sources for their age. 

Those are the HD recordings you told me about? The guy refused to trade?

2 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

The C&V masters were supposedly recovered though. :confused:

I put that in there as a joke, hopefully everyone knows by now that nothing was ever stolen :lol:

12 minutes ago, Todd said:

I put that in there as a joke, hopefully everyone knows by now that nothing was ever stolen :lol:

That’s a theory of mine, that they totally lied to prevent Warners from releasing it. Is that actually true?

20 minutes ago, Todd said:

Those are the HD recordings you told me about? The guy refused to trade?

Yes. I know that the england one is HD (at the time, HD masters were really a new thing) I think that show has also an external source added but I'm not sure.

34 minutes ago, Todd said:

I probably should’ve guessed that. :lol:

I was a big believer that the masters were stolen for a while. I don’t remember, did fans just just know that the band was lying, or was there some sort of clue that gave it away?

1 hour ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I probably should’ve guessed that. :lol:

I was a big believer that the masters were stolen for a while. I don’t remember, did fans just just know that the band was lying, or was there some sort of clue that gave it away?

I know one of the things they said was "we had backups, but they just weren't the same". A backup is literally an exact copy, is it not? Not to mention how they've beat around the bush every time it gets brought up. The whole thing just reeks bullshit :P 

1 hour ago, Todd said:

I know one of the things they said was "we had backups, but they just weren't the same". A backup is literally an exact copy, is it not? Not to mention how they've beat around the bush every time it gets brought up. The whole thing just reeks bullshit :P 

To clarify, he said the backups were CD quality versions, so technically they weren’t exact master tape copies.

But you’re right about them beating around the bush. :lol:

6 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

To clarify, he said the backups were CD quality versions, so technically they weren’t exact master tape copies.

But you’re right about them beating around the bush. :lol:

Implying that CD-quality is not good enough to release? The Longshot begs to differ :lol: 

12 hours ago, Todd said:

A backup is literally an exact copy, is it not?

This. This has bugged the crap out of me for fifteen years. What could possibly be that different about a carbon copy?

1 minute ago, localinsomniac said:

This. This has bugged the crap out of me for fifteen years. What could possibly be that different about a carbon copy?

To be fair they never said they couldn’t go ahead with the album, just that at that point it made them realize they didn’t want to.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, Todd said:

1995/11/09 - Broome County Arena, Binghamton, New York
This is another early internet mention. It was rumored that a recording of Walking Contradiction from this show was aired on TV, but nothing has ever surfaced from it. 

I was at this. We got metal detected going in, so it would make sense for any footage to be pro-shot. I remember one of my friends telling me he saw this Walking Contradiction clip on an MTV News segment back in the day, but I can't find it for the life of me.

35 minutes ago, 80 Androids said:

@Todd I'm going to re-contact KYRS for the video, I hope this works!

Good luck!

According to the old Greenday.net archives, there was supposed to be a Green Day video released in spring 1997 that was never released

"* GREEN DAY "Live" VIDEO OUT SOON The Green Day home video titled "Live" should be out sometime in April. If I find anything more about it, i'll let you know."
https://web.archive.org/web/19970708023626/http://www.greenday.net/zine4.html

I wonder if this turned into the Last Ride In music video, which is primarily composed of home videos with some live footage mixed in.

8 hours ago, Todd said:

According to the old Greenday.net archives, there was supposed to be a Green Day video released in spring 1997 that was never released

"* GREEN DAY "Live" VIDEO OUT SOON The Green Day home video titled "Live" should be out sometime in April. If I find anything more about it, i'll let you know."

I wonder if this turned into the Last Ride In music video, which is primarily composed of home videos with some live footage mixed in.

god looking through that is great. the god damn glory days of the internet. really brings me back.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, Todd said:

1996/1997 - Green Day Home Video
This one was teased on GreenDay.net and GreenDay.com back in the early nineties. The original release date was supposed to be October 1996, then it got pushed back to Spring 1997. And then it was never released. 

Maybe it's the Lance Bangs video Green Day: European Tour Fiasco :confused:. I'm curious about that Lance Bangs video and the reasons it wasn't released :runaround:

On 7/3/2019 at 12:12 AM, Todd said:

I have my doubts about that. Considering that the Last Ride In video never made it on VHS (The most likely candidate for a home video release at the time) until the International Supervideos! release.

Last Ride In video has footage of Astoria 08/27/98. But a different source than the other two that are known. 

I wonder if the band was thinking in a some live compilation around those years, with amateur-ish videos.

For the unreleased video in 97, probably they were thinking on Prague 96, but since the band was working on Nimrod already, they wanted to focus in the new record. Is the only reason what I can think why the release was canceled

Archived