Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Todd

The Coverups - 2019/07/20 - 40th Street Block Party, Oakland, California, USA

Todd

pacejunkie punk

So I would love to go to this but right now I’m working on finding a traveling companion.  Anyone else planning on going? 

The Bellie

I'm going too, I only haven't chosen my place to stay for 3 days in Oakland. For The Longshot I had picked a motel but this time something less expensive would be great. Anyone has a Rb&b planned that we could share? Or some to recommend?

• Like 1

strangestat

I'm so sad that warped is the same weekend...

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Not exactly Cover Ups related but I just thought those visitintg Oakland for the Block Party might also be interested in seeing Prima Donna at the Golden Bull in Oakland later the same day:

• Like 2

Goofygoldfish

Why can't UK flights line up better with work and these kinda things, 2nd time recently 😢

greenday4924

I plan on going to this. Does anyone know how it'll work showing up? Since it's free will it be packed? Is it outdoor?

How do I guarantee being near the stage besides the obvious - get there early

• Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin2000
12 hours ago, greenday4924 said:

I plan on going to this. Does anyone know how it'll work showing up? Since it's free will it be packed? Is it outdoor?

How do I guarantee being near the stage besides the obvious - get there early

That section of 40th Street is blocked off. There are market stalls of local businesses and the stage is on the street. There is no entrance specifically.  However, I imagine this year it could get a bit crazy with the Cover Ups. Last year it was a very laid back atmosphere.

This is the street right before Dead Sound came on:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno2_1280.jpg

Dead Sound:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno3_1280.jpg

Prima Donna:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno4_1280.jpg

We arrived a bit late and only saw the last song from Dead Sound who played first.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Bittersandabsolut

Am I the only one who thinks GD is playing the GB afterwards? They are all posting a bull, and them w/instruments, and Broken guitars says to head to the GB after for some bands I can’t remember & “some other dudes”

am I crazy?

Goofygoldfish
10 minutes ago, Bittersandabsolut said:

Am I the only one who thinks GD is playing the GB afterwards? They are all posting a bull, and them w/instruments, and Broken guitars says to head to the GB after for some bands I can’t remember & “some other dudes”

am I crazy?

The bull is a buffalo, and can be found in Butch's studio on the wall. 

Doesn't mean no, but less likely than if it were a bull. 

• Like 1

Bittersandabsolut
22 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

The bull is a buffalo, and can be found in Butch's studio on the wall. 

Doesn't mean no, but less likely than if it were a bull. 

Well damn😩

still though, I’m glad something seems to be happening🤞🏻

• Like 1

LaughingClock
On 7/13/2019 at 4:54 AM, Goofygoldfish said:

Why can't UK flights line up better with work and these kinda things, 2nd time recently 😢

Hardcore that you would fly across the pond and the country to come. Hardcore! I’m proud when I drive more than an hour.

• Like 1

Lindsey_gd89

I'm going! I think it will be worth the two hour drive. I wonder around what time The Coverups plan on taking the stage...

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

That section of 40th Street is blocked off. There are market stalls of local businesses and the stage is on the street. There is no entrance specifically.  However, I imagine this year it could get a bit crazy with the Cover Ups. Last year it was a very laid back atmosphere.

We arrived a bit late and only saw the last song from Dead Sound who played first.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting pics, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. Do you remember how the parking was last year? I assume it's just street parking

DadBod
3 hours ago, Lindsey_gd89 said:

I'm going! I think it will be worth the two hour drive. I wonder around what time The Coverups plan on taking the stage...

Thanks for posting pics, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. Do you remember how the parking was last year? I assume it's just street parking

Set times here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goofygoldfish

You can see the set list on here (and some familiar faces!) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LaughingClock

Great shot of the setlist which was a nice one. Looking, I miss just seeing him on a stage after the Longshot shows. I’d be happy to never see him in an arena again. He belongs intimate. 

I wish the Longshot would tour small venues until I die. Even the front row would feel a mile away now. I’ve been privy to too many small ones. I am glad I didn’t make the flight or drive but wish I did. I got my fill for the month with the Macca show.

ok, now for the Green Day mini tour. Don’t they almost have to do a $$2020 show in January? 

They always do a mini tour before the tour. Ill be waiting for that. 

:)

Hope all had fun. How was Prima last night for anyone who went?

• Like 2

The Bellie

Here's a pic I took when Billie was in the pit watching Prima Donna:

iRGc8UQ.jpg

(sorry I had connection problems at my motel and didn't manage to edit the first half of the story once I had posted it. Now I merged the two and used the place of the second post to put this picture. :P)

Edited by The Bellie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Beerjeezus

@The Bellie I was thinking this could be you and your sign

LaughingClock
5 hours ago, The Bellie said:

Ok, narration time :wub: Sooo The Coverups were great. I want to say beforehand that I arrived on Tuesday evening in Oakland, so I had the full Friday to explore the area and I went for the first time to Berkeley to see Gilman street. There I met a bunch of young people who invited me to take beers, then we went to their place. I was very tired after walking around all day, I hadn't managed to sleep a lot with the excitement (and the flight), I think I was already a bit gone when we arrived to their place. There, they gave me to try a gravity bong, while I had never tried any drug of any kind before, but I was barely realizing on the moment what I was doing, and whoof! I was totally messed up the next instant after I took it. I kept waking up in a panicky state and then falling back into blackout. It was horrible :lol: They drove me to my motel while getting all nervous and repeating "she's okay, she's okay", and then two of them got angry because I threw up in their car, but I was so fucked up that all I could consciously think about was "in that interview Billie said you get fucked up for a week, if I'm still like this tomorrow what am I gonna do?" :lol: happily it was not for a week, I very arduously managed to get inside my motel room and I woke up early in the morning, feeling pretty much normal, so... all this to say it felt even luckier to be able to go to that show!

So, the d day, I arrived early to the show, I saw the first band playing and hooked up with another fan there, Alan. We saved for each other a spot front row on chairs that had been put before the stage mid-way through the performances, but at the next one people outreached the chairs, we couldn't get our spot back cause a group was now sticking to the stage to occupy the first row, while they hadn't been waiting in line as early as us, in the sun. The argument was that a few of them had been waiting as early as us and that they saved a spot for at least half-dozen of others. I thought that was really shitty and at first, I was a bit mad at them, but then I didn't regret it because I had a very nice spot second row from then, I could see the singer from top to bottom without having to bend my neck to look up. The only thing I wasn't sure about was a sign I had made with a big cardboard and brought up from France, I was hoping to lay it before the front row, but I was lucky that Alan carried me up for a second just at the beginning of the performance, and Billie attentively read it, and then he nodded saying a little "waouh", and then "thank you". I was already really happy at this point. :wub: Here's the sign:

Then we kept hanging around a bit and decided to go the Golden Bull because it sounded like Billie would go there to stick with Prima Donna. None of us really cared about it otherwise :P but as for the block party I wanna say that I enjoyed every band I heard, especially Whateverglades, they were awesome.

So, arrived at the Golden Bull thanks to Alan driving, we bought tickets and were about to go in... I was just chatting with a girl that was in front of venue and whom I had met at a previous Longshot show, when suddenly, a car arrives just in front and Billie pops out of it. Apart from me and that girl, there was no one there. She told me: this is your chance, go! Billie had gotten out of the car with Kevin, so I discretely moved towards them and waited until they had finished their sentences and Billie turned to me then, and he understood I was a fan and we just hugged. It was really special cause he took his time, held me really hard while rubbing my back, and then I said that I love him so much, that I had flown 4 times from France to see him (and this time the funny thing is that I didn't think about it in advance as much as the previous times, I thought I was cursed and that it was never gonna happen ), that he saved my life, blah blah. He looked at me with a big smile, said something which I don't remember cause I was thinking "this can't be true, can it?", and then before he would be gone I just took his right hand and kissed it like three times, and he said "thank you for that" and hugged me again. :wub: Then I heard Kevin say "Billie, we got to come now!" what a killjoy they Kevin :P I mean, Billie was just going

So not to be the dad here, NEVER do anything that you smoke with anyone you don’t know.

If I were with you, I could guarantee that you would feel better in an hour or two and truth be told you were fine long before you woke up but you were spooked and might have scared yourself off of the only “safe” life drug, weed.

They could have, since you don’t know who they are, put PCO, free base, crack or anything else in that gravity bong. Also, gravity bongs just aren’t necessary. The whole “the more you cough the better you’re off” theory is BS. You can snore yourself silly with good bud. Trust me. The coughing from a gravity bong hit makes you feel winded and more stoned.

I don’t want to be that old guy but you made a couple dangerous decisions and I’ve gone backpacking all over Europe when I was your age and did couch jumping. Met girls and did things safe but a) I made some better decisions and b) im a guy and while there are good guys, there are a lot more predator men then women.

SERIOUSLY FUCK THAT GUY that got pissed that you threw up. He should have punched himself. As soon as I read your story, when you said it was your first time smoking and they gave you a gravity bong hit, they are assholes.

Enough of that. I’m glad you’re okay but I’d be remiss If I didn’t scare you on what could have happened. Consider yourself lucky. 

Dont trust strangers when you lack the contol.

Off soapbox.

Next time, just talk to Billie. That’s what’s great about these small events. Unlike most artists, he’s more interested in speaking to the fans than industry people. 

Id like to meet you at a GD show this season. I’ll try and help you out.

PEOPLE, FFS safe be careful. I was young and dumb once too and I thank my lucky stars I am alive.

I actually remember when you said “anyone wanna go with me” as an open letter to the forum that I thought I hoped you would be safe but I said nothing. 

Im sure I’ll get shit from some peopele for even saying this. But you live to 40 and are still partying and you see some shit.

Keep traveling and having fun but learn from your mistakes. You made a couple dangerous decisions.

I’m sure someone brought it up, but Billie talks about gravity bong hits. He has hits everywhere. Hardy har. Funny story. 

When I was 20 or so, we went to a friends house who was out of town and we saw their roaches all over the floor and we were like “cool, weed”. Wasn’t as easy to get back then. Well it was but it was more of a pain in the arse.

Emptied an old GALLON milk carton and I did the first hit. Apparently Maria rolls her own cigarette and I did a gallon gravity bong hit of tobacco!!! Ugh. I also did a 3 story bong once at some frat house.

So yeah, glad you enjoyed the show! Rock on!

Sorry for getting all Dad on ya. I’m definitely a proponent of “live while you’re young” just make smart choices. Oakland isn’t most parts of Europe or Canada.

PEACE AND LOVE!

edit: I admit I didn’t read it all because im in a rush but at a glance it looks like you spoke to Billie. Did you ask him what’s up? Lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

amandagoestoshows

Hey folks. I'm new to the forums, but it seems like there's a pretty consistent GDC crowd that attends a lot of the bay area shows, and I thought it'd be cool to get to know y'all. Here are some pics I took at the block party yesterday. The whole show was great, but I was especially stoked to see Vi from Destroy Boys jump in on Sheena is a Punk Rocker - DB is my favorite. :) 

Golden Bull show had a killer lineup of bands despite a secret GD show not happening. It was cool to see Billie and Jason just chilling with their pals and having a good time in the crowd with the rest of us. Me and another fan at the show talked to Billie briefly - our encounter was pretty awkward, as he couldn't hear me, but my pal was able to type out what he wanted to say to him, he got a big hug and selfie with him. Good vibes all around. Will hopefully see some of you folks at future shows!

• Like 3