Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
Todd

The Coverups - 2019/07/20 - 40th Street Block Party, Oakland, California, USA

Todd

pacejunkie punk

So I would love to go to this but right now I’m working on finding a traveling companion.  Anyone else planning on going? 

The Bellie

I'm going too, I only haven't chosen my place to stay for 3 days in Oakland. For The Longshot I had picked a motel but this time something less expensive would be great. Anyone has a Rb&b planned that we could share? Or some to recommend?

• Like 1

strangestat

I'm so sad that warped is the same weekend...

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Not exactly Cover Ups related but I just thought those visitintg Oakland for the Block Party might also be interested in seeing Prima Donna at the Golden Bull in Oakland later the same day:

• Like 2

Goofygoldfish

Why can't UK flights line up better with work and these kinda things, 2nd time recently 😢

greenday4924

I plan on going to this. Does anyone know how it'll work showing up? Since it's free will it be packed? Is it outdoor?

How do I guarantee being near the stage besides the obvious - get there early

• Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin2000
12 hours ago, greenday4924 said:

I plan on going to this. Does anyone know how it'll work showing up? Since it's free will it be packed? Is it outdoor?

How do I guarantee being near the stage besides the obvious - get there early

That section of 40th Street is blocked off. There are market stalls of local businesses and the stage is on the street. There is no entrance specifically.  However, I imagine this year it could get a bit crazy with the Cover Ups. Last year it was a very laid back atmosphere.

This is the street right before Dead Sound came on:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno2_1280.jpg

Dead Sound:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno3_1280.jpg

Prima Donna:

tumblr_puqsesFX2T1vdqibno4_1280.jpg

We arrived a bit late and only saw the last song from Dead Sound who played first.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Bittersandabsolut

Am I the only one who thinks GD is playing the GB afterwards? They are all posting a bull, and them w/instruments, and Broken guitars says to head to the GB after for some bands I can’t remember & “some other dudes”

am I crazy?

Goofygoldfish
10 minutes ago, Bittersandabsolut said:

Am I the only one who thinks GD is playing the GB afterwards? They are all posting a bull, and them w/instruments, and Broken guitars says to head to the GB after for some bands I can’t remember & “some other dudes”

am I crazy?

The bull is a buffalo, and can be found in Butch's studio on the wall. 

Doesn't mean no, but less likely than if it were a bull. 

• Like 1

Bittersandabsolut
22 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

The bull is a buffalo, and can be found in Butch's studio on the wall. 

Doesn't mean no, but less likely than if it were a bull. 

Well damn😩

still though, I’m glad something seems to be happening🤞🏻

• Like 1

LaughingClock
On 7/13/2019 at 4:54 AM, Goofygoldfish said:

Why can't UK flights line up better with work and these kinda things, 2nd time recently 😢

Hardcore that you would fly across the pond and the country to come. Hardcore! I’m proud when I drive more than an hour.

• Like 1

Lindsey_gd89

I'm going! I think it will be worth the two hour drive. I wonder around what time The Coverups plan on taking the stage...

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:02 AM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

That section of 40th Street is blocked off. There are market stalls of local businesses and the stage is on the street. There is no entrance specifically.  However, I imagine this year it could get a bit crazy with the Cover Ups. Last year it was a very laid back atmosphere.

We arrived a bit late and only saw the last song from Dead Sound who played first.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting pics, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. Do you remember how the parking was last year? I assume it's just street parking

DadBod
3 hours ago, Lindsey_gd89 said:

I'm going! I think it will be worth the two hour drive. I wonder around what time The Coverups plan on taking the stage...

Thanks for posting pics, it gives me a better idea of what to expect. Do you remember how the parking was last year? I assume it's just street parking

Set times here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LaughingClock

Great shot of the setlist which was a nice one. Looking, I miss just seeing him on a stage after the Longshot shows. I’d be happy to never see him in an arena again. He belongs intimate. 

I wish the Longshot would tour small venues until I die. Even the front row would feel a mile away now. I’ve been privy to too many small ones. I am glad I didn’t make the flight or drive but wish I did. I got my fill for the month with the Macca show.

ok, now for the Green Day mini tour. Don’t they almost have to do a $$2020 show in January? 

They always do a mini tour before the tour. Ill be waiting for that. 

:)

Hope all had fun. How was Prima last night for anyone who went?

• Like 2

The Bellie
Posted (edited)

Here's a pic I took when Billie was in the pit watching Prima Donna:

iRGc8UQ.jpg

(sorry I had connection problems at my motel and didn't manage to edit the first half of the story once I had posted it. Now I merged the two and used the place of the second post to put this picture. :P)

Edited by The Bellie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Beerjeezus

@The Bellie I was thinking this could be you and your sign

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

The Bellie

@Beerjeezus hell yeah that's me! Thanks! That face Billie makes lol! It must've been the second when I raised it up, just before he started reading it :wub:

@LaughingClock It's funny because of the three young dudes (yet all were a bit older than me, 25-30) with the gravity bong, two were guys in couple and the other a girl who had a child, and when we were having beers she was telling me that she had never traveled alone, and that she was thinking of it and wanted to have my advice as for Europe. I said that it depends, and that you can never know no matter where you go, like Spain for instance has a good reputation of being very welcoming and populated at night, but I've never been there; and as for Paris... well it's my town so I kind of feel safe even when I go out at night alone, but there a lot more gangs at night than what I could have seen in Oakland for instance. However, does it mean it's less safe? I don't know. Like you say, it's probably a question of luck too but as for these three dudes, once again when they had taken me to their place I was already not totally in my mind and body anymore. Usually I hold well beers so it must've been the fatigue from not sleeping well these days, and literally walking all day under the sun with my backpack. But I could tell they weren't bad-intentioned. Perhaps they didn't realize what effect it could have on me to have a gravity bong as first drug try. The youngest dude was the one yelling at me when I threw up in the car, but his boyfriend who was the oldest one stayed calm and trying to reassure me, he was telling the other one: "stop it, you're not helping". And when they dropped me in front of my motel I recall him saying "it was nice to meet you". Even if I was too fucked up to reply :P but if I hadn't felt comfortable with them from the start, perhaps I wouldn't have had beers with them and wouldn't gotten in this situation... So yeah I have to learn from my mistakes, but with these specific guys it couldn't have been so dangerous anyway (although the state I was in with the bong did feel panicky.)

Also just to tell you Adam this was particularly scary for me but I'm used to putting myself in danger more or less, here and there. I'd say the mistake that I made there was more of a common, adult, or normal mistake than the previous ones lol. For instance at one time when I couldn't take my life anymore, I was 16 and struggling with eating disorders and panic attacks and feeling very lonely, I left my own studio and walked for two days to find myself in an unknown town at night, I saw a light on in a house and rang cause I was frozen, and a guy opened me up, he gave me 100 euros (the last money he had got!) the next day so I could get back home and I sent him 200 a few days later to thank him. Than we became close friends and still see each other. I mean, these types of things don't happen every day but they are part of life for me. It can bring out special things and not necessarily bad things; saying that I'm not looking for danger... but it's unfeasible to avoid it completely!

Thanks, I would love to meet you too! Even more as I would like to have a guy with me next time I go around LA. What I didn't tell in my previous post (and that was much worse than the gravity bong thing, in a way) was that after the Prima Donna show at the golden bull, a girl who was saying that she had seen me at the Santa Ana Longshot show last year and that I had refused to give her the first place of arrival, because I had come at 4 am, and she only at 8 am (but was claiming to have first come before the observatory at 9 pm the previous evening, while I had first come there at... 4 pm, before getting back to my motel to sleep a bit), that girl jumped on me as soon as we all found ourselves outside the bar, and the security was gone, she pulled hard on my hair twice and made my glasses fall down, and then one of her friends told me she was obsessed with Billie and couldn't stand not having first row all the time... I mean, being obsessed and angry that you didn't have first row when you think you owned it, like it was my case on that day, is a thing, and I forgot about it and about the faces of the people who took the first row, on the same evening... but that she recalls it one year later... that freaks me out. I don't want to appear like a victim or anything but it was a bit traumatizing to experience that, at the same place where I had my hug with Billie, because of a person of that kind (and apparently she goes at every west coast show with Billie and with her group of friends they always manage to save first row...) well happily the only physical memory I have is the moment when Billie held me tight. It was a short, but very sensitive moment.

One of the girls of the said group was really nice to me after I got attacked, and I welcomed her at my motel room for the night. Happily, there are good, caring people, even among that fanbase where every member (especially female) seems to consider that the others are rivals in her way to get to Billie... I really hate that way of thinking. Everybody has their place as a fan for Billie. But jeez, there are also very hateful and egocentric people. She just couldn't stand that I kept saying that I was there before her at that show one year ago. I'm not going to cease coming to the west coast see Billie if I can, but the thought to see her again is kind of a killjoy... and I'm not a violent of fighting kind of person so I don't know what to do in that case. Happily her group of friends retained her. 

Well, enough talking about that, but guess I had to let it out

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Beerjeezus

Haha his face is a meme...I like how you made the sign so big for the old man to read :lol:

Also oh my god that woman must be completely crazy. Next time you're in the US you may get to practice this

nose-palm-strike.jpg

• Haha 2

The Bellie
22 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Haha his face is a meme...I like how you made the sign so big for the old man to read :lol:

I mean, you never know at what distance you'll find yourself from him :P but honestly I think it's the number of words that scared him at first. Then once he began to read he made it in a couple of seconds :lol:. I thought at how to turn the phrase before I wrote it, It could've gone for "the trilogy are my favorite songs" but I thought that reusing his own words ("37 songs" and "listen to") would be best. Taking the risk to make him do a reading effort, but it worked!

Yeah, that girl was crazy. I'm too soft to try to physically hurt someone even in self-defense, but I should learn to!

• Like 3