What is Green Day's impact on your lives?

brainstevv

I saw some comments on YouTube that were saying "green day made me a better person", "their songs saved my life" etc. I don't know if these are true or not, but I wondered if you guys have some..stories like that? Like did GD  have an impact on your life? Or did they inspired you.. to do some stuff? 

Well, not sure it made me a "better person" and it's also kinda trivial, but Green Day pretty much single-handedly motivated me to learn how to play the guitar and inspired me to join a band. That in of itself has had an enormously positive effect on my life and I couldn't really imagine living without it. After many years you take such things for granted, but on retroflection, I really have only Green Day to thank for that. So yeah: it's fair to say they had an impact in my case!

Discovering Green Day got me through the toughest times of anxiety in my life and then in general they inspired me to work on music of my own.

Green Day pretty much kickstarted my love of music and was my intro to punk, which then spun out into every other huge thing in my life (my friendships, my music, my job, kinda everything...). So I'd definitely have a very different life if I hadn't gotten into Green Day! 

Not to be too dramatic, but missing out on hearing future Green Day releases and attending future Green Day shows was a pretty huge motivator not to kill myself. So I guess I feel comfortable saying they saved my life, and if not that then they certainly weathered the absolute shittiest of the shitty part of my life with me through their music.

Green day did change my life. I was in high school and my family had just moved to a different part of the state. I didn't have any friends and i discovered green day, and it became my relief, support and something i could do without inviting snide comments about being an outsider. 

Even though I think that's super cringey sounding they were the major reason that helped me accept myself and then evidently I managed to built confidence and self esteem.  

17 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

it made me obnoxious and pretentious as a teenager 

Compared to now? 😂

12 minutes ago, petros said:

Even though I think that's super cringey sounding they were the major reason that helped me accept myself and then evidently I managed to built confidence and self esteem.  

Not cringey. Many of us feel that way I’m sure.  They’re not a band that attracts well adjusted people who feel accepted in their lives.

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not cringey. Many of us feel that way I’m sure.  They’re not a band that attracts well adjusted people who feel accepted in their lives.

Yeah that's why the fanbase is so attached to them. It's like with mcr in 05-08 and  now with 21 pilots. I can't feel the love for 21 pilots but I get the kids now feel a similar connection to them.

I wasn't all that into music, i listened to some game music here and there but actual like...bands and artists, nah. Then there was this girl i had a crush on and wanted to impress, so i listened to Green Day because it was a band she liked lol. I remember being told to skip 1039, Kerplunk, Shenanigans, and Warning, so i just heard Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod, AI, 21CB, and the trilogy and started loving em. Even today they are the only band where i can safely say with 100% certainty that i at least like every single song they have ever done,

I would be a completely different person had I not discovered and fallen in love with Green Day's music as a young'n. It also paved the way for my affinity of other pop-punk bands, inspired me to pick up a guitar and start writing my own songs. I owe a lot to those magnificent bastards.

• 3 months later...

Absoluely I am a better, more impactful, stronger, more caring and compassionate person than if Green Day never existed. I am Jewish and take my religion somewhat seriously but feel Green Day has had a larger influence on my lfie. To have fun, to be caring, to not letting people push you around, to simply giving a greater fuck and having a BETTER time all while doing so. I'm a disciple of GD, not neccsarily the Torah and my great upbringing my family at all times. 

Green Day filled the void I had after Nirvana was gone.  And each album is like a time capsule.  I can tell you where I was and what I was doing for every release from Dookie on up.

Green day helps me through difficult times. And they show me that I'm not alone during those times. I'm not the only whose anxious, depressed, or feel like a weirdo outcast. Also without them I never would feel like I'm part of a larger community. I rarely feel accepted by communities I'm supposed to be a part of or feel comfortable in but I feel like I'm a part of something bigger with Green day. I feel welcomed here.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

Compared to now? 😂

Yes the people that identify most with them are the underdogs and the band were those people themselves

I was 11 when Dookie was released and heard Basket Case for the first time. From there, I formed friendships around my love for Green Day. These friends and I formed bands leading on some amazing childhood memories.

When I was 14, my high school team would practice to Nimrod on repeat. For those next 4 years, those people would be my closest friends.

When I was 18 and decided to transfer to a different university, the friends I met that year met up for one last time at the Pop Disaster tour to say goodbye.

I was 28 when I really listened to the lyrics of Basket Case and realized I wasn’t alone as I suffered through a lifetime of anxiety. It gave me both hope and healing.

I was 34 when I was able to see my son’s eyes light up as Tre started Know Your Enemy on the Rev Rad Tour. It was my son’s first concert and we didn’t tell him who we were going to see which made it a compete surprise when his favorite band came out. The joy of my family singing our favorite songs together, at the top of our lungs that night is my absolute favorite memory.

After the show, my son saved up and bought the same guitar Billie gave away when he brought someone up on stage. As he’s been learning to play, I now get to teach him and we play Green Day songs together.

For 36 years, Green Day’s music has been woven into my life and helped connect me with others. Their music and lyrics have shown me that I am not alone no matter how alone I may feel.

My first bands got together by having 3-4 kids who wanted to get together to play Green Day songs 

While Green Day wasn't the first punk band I liked or the band that got me into punk they're responsible for me getting into Operation Ivy and the 90's punk wave. 

Made lifelong friendships from 25 years ago as we bonded over GD (and similar music) in high school and we still keep in touch to this day.

Then met my now wife through our mutual interest in GD

Now we have 2 kids so if it weren't for GD I would never have met my wife and thus my kids wouldn't exist in this world!

Green Day has been with me for more than half my life. I'm not even able to divorce myself from who I am without them; they're just part of me. Twelve-year-old me admired them for releasing American Idiot and I became much more politically aware because of that album. Becoming more politically aware led me to an interest in journalism. Today, 26-year-old me is a journalist. The impact they've had on my life runs deep.

Archived