The Most Overrated Green Day Song

brainstevv

21 guns is great. Cant even think of a single overrated song. Might be basket case if i had to choose. Green day is underrated. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Riddance, Boulevard, Holiday, 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, Basket Case, When I Come Around.

I used to have Welcome to Paradise and WMUWSE on that list, but I’ve grown to appreciate them more. Holiday is on its way there too. 

1 minute ago, Asik said:

21 guns is great. Cant even think of a single overrated song. Might be basket case if i had to choose. Green day is underrated. 

Same. I love all of it even the hits. I don’t think any Green Day song is overrated. 

I hate such topics - which song is overrated / underrated... it's just stupid. please notice that some of you will always be choosing singles like American Idiot or 21 Guns as an overrated song.  and others will be thinking why Peacemaker off 21st CB is not popular, such a great song and barely known, how's that possible... song like Peacemaker will never be as famous as 21 Guns, which was designed to promote the entire album. How some fans dare to say that for instance Homecoming or Extraordinary Girl is underrated. American Idiot album is appreciated all over the world and there's no need to complain that Extraordinary Girl is less recognizable than American Idiot.

You can say 'I don't like this song or that song', but putting songs in category overrated and underrated is useless. Overrated = singles, underrated = rest songs.

2 hours ago, RedundantIdiot said:

Know Your Enemy. I don't dislike it, I think there are better songs than it.

I wouldn't say KYE is overrated or underrated. I'd say it's over-hated though

On 5/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, Joe. said:

For me, Still Breathing. God its cringeworthy 

OYYYYY, that hurts!!  This is my anthem!  

On 5/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, Hermione said:

When I Come Around. It's ok but nowhere near the best on Dookie and I don't know why it would be a live favourite. Kind of the same with She, it has great lyrics but doesn't stand out much musically and I don't know why anyone would particularly care about seeing it live (yet both these songs are some of their all time most played).

Also Waiting. People get super excited about it but it's an average song to me

I asked my wife to marry me during the song Waiting at a Green Day show.  Right during that little silent part.  "I've been waiting a life time for this moment to come, I'm destined for anything at all.... "Will you spend the rest of your life with me?"  

As soon as she said yes the music came back on "Dumbstruck, color me stupid, good luck, you're gonna need it!" then we left the concert right after.

Waiting will always have a special place in my heart.

We're divorced now.😐

On 5/30/2019 at 8:08 AM, brainstevv said:

I've seen the topic of the most underrated green day song/album but I couldn't find any topic with the word of overrated so here you go.

What's the most overrated Green Day song in your opinion?  

I think it's might be 21 guns.

I personally love 21 guns. I don't think It's overrated at all. If I had to pick a song that is overrated, it would be good riddance. It's just not as great as all their other stuff in my opinion, or maybe I just don't like the acoustics as much as the rock operas.

This might sound strange but I say Whatsername, because everyone calls it underrated. So that makes it overrated.

14 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

I hate such topics - which song is overrated / underrated... it's just stupid. please notice that some of you will always be choosing singles like American Idiot or 21 Guns as an overrated song.  and others will be thinking why Peacemaker off 21st CB is not popular, such a great song and barely known, how's that possible... song like Peacemaker will never be as famous as 21 Guns, which was designed to promote the entire album. How some fans dare to say that for instance Homecoming or Extraordinary Girl is underrated. American Idiot album is appreciated all over the world and there's no need to complain that Extraordinary Girl is less recognizable than American Idiot.

You can say 'I don't like this song or that song', but putting songs in category overrated and underrated is useless. Overrated = singles, underrated = rest songs.

lmao chill these are just opinions

On 5/31/2019 at 9:53 AM, DadBod said:

RAW-HAM!

I think there's a better opener for their concerts, for sure.

OMG I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THINKING HE SAYS RAW HAM :lol: 

On 5/31/2019 at 6:15 AM, Beerjeezus said:

Why not both? :lol: I agree about American Idiot. One thing the big hits have in common is that they're kind of overplayed. Maybe that's why we're listing them as overrated.

I kinda agree with you! We "hate" the overused ones because they are so popular and overrated. 

3 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

OMG I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THINKING HE SAYS RAW HAM :lol: 

I kinda agree with you! We "hate" the overused ones because they are so popular and overrated. 

RAW HAM is legendary here :lol:. I can't believe it's been around for 10 years. Couple of years ago J'net from GDA got to interview the band and she told them about it :lol: :lol:. Personally I look forward to Know Your Enemy at Green Day shows so I can sing it.

It's pretty difficult for me to say this, buuut BOBD. Until the RevRad tour, I would just kind of roll my eyes whenever anyone said it was their favourite GD song, and I guess I probably still do that :lol: There was just a really beautiful moment at the Adelaide show between Billie and the audience, so now I've got an emotional connection with it. But that can't negate it being overrated!

21 Guns/BOBD. Horrendously overplayed. Every time I bring up Green Day to extremely casual Green Day listeners it’s the first fucking words out of their mouth. One of these days, I’m going to group all these motherfuckers and make them listen to Misery for 24 hours straight until they forget 21 Guns/BOBD exists(I Kidd). I’m Honestly glad the pre-Dookie Tracks don’t get air play, keeps them from being viciously over played to death. 

I haven't even really thought about it. I don't know if I'd consider 21 Guns overrated....I just don't really like it as much. I feel like I'd say WMUWSE or Scattered. I remember a few years ago, we went through each album and picked out the best songs and pitted them against each other and Scattered came out on top. It's a good song, but I wouldn't consider it better than other songs. 

i think, walking contradction, i love this music but is so underrated 

Well, obvious candidates are 21 Guns and BOBD, although in my opinion for very different reasons. I think certain songs on AI: such as American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September ends all suffer from being played disproportionately often in the mainstream and therefore automatically lose attractiveness, despite (again in my opinion) all being excellent songs. Especially the first 3 feature probably some of the best lyrics Billie has ever written and allround fantastic songwriting. Both BOBD and Wake Me Up When September Ends happen to have a slight pop twist in terms of melody, overall structure and lyrics, but their great songs nonetheless.  

21 Guns on the other hand, I'm sorry to say, isn't such a great song. Sure, it's not bad either, but you can see this one was a more calculated decision, based on the previous success of BOBD and WMUWSE. I think it's fair to say they were to some extent following a formula. 

Now, I actually quite like 21 Guns when played live (as with some other songs with a slow/awkward tempo, the live performances can make the song more energetic/fun), but on the album I just think it's a bit boring and uninspired. The fact that it got played as often as it did and is one of the few songs non-GD fans happen to know simply adds insult to injury. 

Because albums other than Dookie and American Idiot (which are of course fantastic albums) didn't and don't get the kind of recognition I think they'd deserve, it's difficult to list any other songs I think are overrated. 

21CB as an album was also reasonably successful, but with the exception of 21 Guns, none of the album even came close to achieving the (longterm) success of AI or Dookie.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:06 AM, Jrem said:

Oh love and 21 guns

I think Oh Love was overrated. It's catchy but essentially has 0 replay value. Once you hear it that's enough.

21 guns is rated exactly what it deserves. It is a very well written song. It's not one of my personal favourites but I understand why it was played to death on the airwaves. 

Then we have Waiting the most severely underrated Green Day single of all time. Where I live they even have played Warning more times than Waiting. Waiting is such a well crafted song and deserves to be in the standard rotation on Alternative radio. 

How is Oh Love overrated? I don't hear anyone saying anything about that song and when I do hear somebody mention it, they don't say anything particularly good about it

On 5/31/2019 at 9:09 PM, Jet Taman said:

OYYYYY, that hurts!!  This is my anthem!  

I asked my wife to marry me during the song Waiting at a Green Day show.  Right during that little silent part.  "I've been waiting a life time for this moment to come, I'm destined for anything at all.... "Will you spend the rest of your life with me?"  

As soon as she said yes the music came back on "Dumbstruck, color me stupid, good luck, you're gonna need it!" then we left the concert right after.

Waiting will always have a special place in my heart.

We're divorced now.😐

Man I remember reading this story in a YouTube comment or something. Years ago! 

Among the fan base I'd say forever now or somewhere now. Both songs suck, have bad lyrics about nothing, and people put them in the same sentence as jos or homecoming. "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out"? Man this is so cringe worthy I can't even listen beyond. This is easily the top number one worse thing to ever be released by green day imo. I hate that line so much. It was the same with dirty rotten bastards.

Which makes me go as far as to think for whatever reason the fan base of green day meaning here and reddit probably try and love everything Billie Joe does just because we all love the dude and think he's hot or something. And then they realize how wrong they've been. I mean when trilogy was the last think they released although it was blasted from many fans soo many people here jumped on me for saying the lyrics are shit and Billie didn't even try. Now if you say something like this almost everyone agrees. We all want to love new green day but people blindly loving everything makes it harder for me. 

On 5/31/2019 at 7:02 PM, Asik said:

Green day is underrated. 

Wtf? How are green day underrated? 

Basket Case 19.gif

Just kidding/trolling, don’t kill me 026.gif

IMHO, KYE is definitely the most overrated Green Day song by Green Day themselves. At the beginning of the 21CB era I was so bummed when they released it as first single, and even more when I listened to the whole record and realized that only Christian’s Inferno is “worse” than that. There’s no bad Green Day song to me, but those two get very close to it. Having it as a concert opener is the only bummer-ish thing I can find in a GD concert since the 21CB tour. 

Commercially wise I would say all the fucking ballads. I love ballads but to me they have never been the highlights of the respective albums, in every and each era. But this probably applies to pretty much every rock band since the dawn of rock, and always it will be the case. Charts are genetically dumb. 

for me, its 'oh love', hands down. 25+ years a fan here and that song is one of two i leave out of any and all collections/mixes (the other being 'night life', that tune is shite.)

dont get me wrong, its not because 'iTs A tRiLoGy SoNg'. i ADORE the trilogy.

its not a *BAD* song...it's...just not a good song.  how TF it was picked to be the lead single is beyond me.

8 hours ago, petros said:

Man I remember reading this story in a YouTube comment or something. Years ago! 

Among the fan base I'd say forever now or somewhere now. Both songs suck, have bad lyrics about nothing, and people put them in the same sentence as jos or homecoming. "My name is Billie and I'm freaking out"? Man this is so cringe worthy I can't even listen beyond. This is easily the top number one worse thing to ever be released by green day imo. I hate that line so much. It was the same with dirty rotten bastards.

Which makes me go as far as to think for whatever reason the fan base of green day meaning here and reddit probably try and love everything Billie Joe does just because we all love the dude and think he's hot or something. And then they realize how wrong they've been. I mean when trilogy was the last think they released although it was blasted from many fans soo many people here jumped on me for saying the lyrics are shit and Billie didn't even try. Now if you say something like this almost everyone agrees. We all want to love new green day but people blindly loving everything makes it harder for me. 

Wtf? How are green day underrated? 

Idk, maybe Green Day's newer stuff just isn't to your taste? To me Somewhere Now and Forever Now are beautiful sounding songs with some of the most open and relatable lyrics Billie has ever written. I don't "blindly" like it, I just like it.

Probably means the song Green Day. I would say it's kind of strange how little attention the song the band is named after gets. But at the same time they haven't played it much, it's not a very remarkable song and it doesn't say the words "green day" in it so that probably explains it. If it said "green day" in the chorus it would be a million times more awesome lol

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Idk, maybe Green Day's newer stuff just isn't to your taste? To me Somewhere Now and Forever Now are beautiful sounding songs with some of the most open and relatable lyrics Billie has ever written. I don't "blindly" like it, I just like it.

Probably means the song Green Day. I would say it's kind of strange how little attention the song the band is named after gets. But at the same time they haven't played it much, it's not a very remarkable song and it doesn't say the words "green day" in it so that probably explains it. If it said "green day" in the chorus it would be a million times more awesome lol

Yeah maybe I whine too much. Still like bang bang, revrad and trouble times though. 

Oh yeah I'm an idiot he/she probably meant the song. It's such a meh song though. For all the reasons you mentioned and probably the worst song of the lookout albums for me. 

Archived