The Most Overrated Green Day Song

brainstevv

I think the song Green Day is the best on 39/Smooth. I don't listen to any of 39/Smooth that much but that is one song that I like quite a lot on it

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bmt93 said:

Jesus of Suburbia

you did not just say that

9 hours ago, bmt93 said:

Jesus of Suburbia

I agree with this 100%

2 hours ago, Wretched & Divine said:

you did not just say that

Yes I did 😂 It's my opinion. I think the song is just too long and I usually skip it after a few minutes. It also annoys me cause at their shows this song is taking time from let's say 3 other songs that are maybe not on the regular setlist.

I think the band see it as their magnum opus. I wouldn’t mind if they cut it down to maybe the first part like Queen used to do for Bo Rhap (and that was a much more hugely successful song than JOS) 

16 minutes ago, bmt93 said:

It also annoys me cause at their shows this song is taking time from let's say 3 other songs that are maybe not on the regular setlist.

To be fair, that's kinda the point. Structure-wise it's more or less Green Day's Bohemian Rhapsody, so essentially several different songs in one. But I mean, if they occasionally dropped it in favour of some very rarely played deep-cuts, I wouldn't mind. 

29 minutes ago, bmt93 said:

Yes I did 😂 It's my opinion. I think the song is just too long and I usually skip it after a few minutes. It also annoys me cause at their shows this song is taking time from let's say 3 other songs that are maybe not on the regular setlist.

That's some next level blasphemy right there. 

24 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

To be fair, that's kinda the point. Structure-wise it's more or less Green Day's Bohemian Rhapsody, so essentially several different songs in one. But I mean, if they occasionally dropped it in favour of some very rarely played deep-cuts, I wouldn't mind. 

Same. Even though I love it I can always play the record.

I'd say American Idiot, perhaps because it's one of my least favorite on the eponymous record, although I enjoy it and especially it's funny to play (and it's very entertaining to see Billie play it live, especially these days!). But musically it's far from what I enjoy the most. Among the hits that are played every night, it's the one I would give up first (although I wouldn't mind them giving up Jesus of Suburbia for Forever Now, but I doubt that'll happen)

I love 21 Guns, BOBD and WMUWSE, never seen the latter live and would love to, even in the acoustic version Billie has played lately, which was beautiful!

Still Breathing is not overrated :cry: "I'm still breathing on my own" is one of the most humble, brave, pure lyrics ever, even more the way it is sung. I wish so much they will continue to play it live even if they fill the rest of the setlist with whatever :P

It's obviously Prosthetic Hea... JUST KIDDING! Personally, I think it's Good Riddance. It's ironic that people use it for weddings and graduations even though it's about Billie being mad about his girlfriend leaving him. I guess they just hear, "I hope you had the time of your life" and think it's actually serious. It's not though. HE'S BEING SARCASTIC! 

21 Guns is way better than Good Riddance. I still really like 21 Guns even though I consider it one of the lower points of 21CB. Same with KYE. Good Riddance however is easily their most overrated song, extremely boring and generic. Basically the fact that Billie Joe is singing it is the only saving grace but even then, his voice isn't that good on the track compared to most of his other performances

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

21 Guns is way better than Good Riddance. I still really like 21 Guns even though I consider it one of the lower points of 21CB. Same with KYE. Good Riddance however is easily their most overrated song, extremely boring and generic. Basically the fact that Billie Joe is singing it is the only saving grace but even then, his voice isn't that good on the track compared to most of his other performances

I often wondered if he regretted the falsetto on the chorus because he never sang it that way live. I like the way he did it live but it also seemed hard to sing. Still, I love the full band live version and the way the song builds to a crescendo in the bridge and then drops off. So powerful. 

• 2 months later...

A few words I deleted from my vocabulary: MASTERPIECE, UNDERRATED, GENIUS, OVERRATED + Any word critics use to make their reviews look like the uncorruptable truth! 😛

Maybe ''Android'' and ''Private Ale''? I think they're really good songs 🙂

On 5/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, Joe. said:

For me, Still Breathing. God its cringeworthy 

This was song was unbelievably disappointing

Sorry, I thought it said underrated, that's why I choose ''Android'' and ''Private Ale''. Overrated? Mh... ''Know Your Enemy'' 😛

7 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

FOAM. It can't realistically live up to the hype over the fakes.

Yes, there's reason to believe it's hella and mega overrated... Ok I'll show myself out 

DRB

People love it because it's "Epic" but it just doesn't flow well. Some parts are great some are not!

I know I answered on this topic already, but I figured out I should tell more about my opinions so here we go.

Whole Revolution Radio could be put on this list but if there is one song to choose, it's still definitely Forever Now. Other contenders such as Bang Bang, Still Breathing and Ordinary World are not as bad as Forever Now, but all of them are usually loved in here or Reddit or elsewhere. I don't get it. @PursuitOfEpicness said ''People love it because it's "Epic" but it just doesn't flow well. Some parts are great some are not!'' but I would go even further with Forever Now and say there are no great parts. It's a mess.

But then again, it would be boring to answer the same fucking song/album in these kind of threads (and this forum probably already knows how much I dislike Revolution Radio) so what would be the most overrated song if we don't count Revolution Radio? Well because I don't know the most overrated one, I figured out I'll give one overrated song from each album (trilogy is counted as one):

Trilogy: Stray Heart (IIRC it used to get some love when it was released and I remember reading here and on Reddit that the song rocks, but I dislike it and see it as a boring filler on Dos!. It's really hard to pick one from trilogy since those albums are not universally loved and I love almost every song from there)

21st Century Breakdown: Know Your Enemy (If Forever Now didn't exist, this would be my number one pick. God how bad and overplayed the song is)

American Idiot: Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Well maybe not the best option for this kind of thread since the whole album is fucking good, but if I would have to pick one that I would never play on Spotify by itself, it would be this simply because it's overplayed and boring. It's still one of their most loved songs ever so it kind of fits here, right?)

Warning: Waiting (Never understood its appeal. Doesn't sound good in studio, doesn't sound good live either)

Nimrod: King For A Day (I wish they would stop playing this piece of garbage live already. Even just for one tour. Silly fun is fine if the song itself would be good to listen but no)

Insomniac: 86 (To be honest, I really don't hate Insomniac nor I love it so album itself is just filler for me. Only song I've seen getting much love is 86, which has a cool drum intro but that's about it)

Dookie: When I Come Around (I have moments where I like the song, but usually it's just skip material. Way too repetitive imo)

Kerplunk and 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours: Blank (I can't say one song from those albums that can be considered in any way as overrated. Maybe Christie Road in Kerplunk, but is there seriously any overrated song on 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours?)

Archived