New Longshot Shows

Squashie

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God damnit. I haven’t had after show remorse in years. I would pay $1000 to see a Longshot show tomorrow.

Its so gooood. I love the venues, the songs, the people. 😢

“This is so fucking fun” - BJA

Also, it was my phone he was pointing at. 😜No, it was yours. Honestly, Billie hasn’t had as much fun at a show as this one in years. Fact. This was nothing less than a legendary show. Up there with the FBHT Don show (the beginning of the end of old Billie). 

This was where the show just took a turn for the sick. I keep finding little gems in my phone.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:30 PM, DookieLukie said:

Look at the evidence: research shows that roughly 70% of people diagnosed with alcohol use disorder are able to cut down on their drinking without returning to clinical levels of drinking again. AA abstinence culture is so ingrained in people that they don't question some of the rhetoric. AA has helped many people but the program has never been studied to measure effectiveness.  There is no scientific evidence that supports an "allergy to alcohol." Many people who struggle with alcohol use are able to cut down on their drinking. Many times drinking emerges as a coping mechanism and once people find better ways of coping, they don't rely on alcohol as a means of doing so.

I don’t know how I missed this post but SPOT FUCKING ON!

On 6/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, Eric said:

True... I am all for him drinking again. Beer is good stuff :D

Billie was the one that checked himself into rehab because he knew he was working himself to death leading up to 2013, and needed a break. I don’t think we’ll ever see that Iheart Billie again, and if we do, that will be the time to worry. Otherwise, let the man have a few drinks in peace and hopefully we’ll get a much better album out of it.

40 minutes ago, desertrose said:

Scroll thru for Billie Joe

Billie looks like he's fucking 20 years old in that last one! 🙄 Leave some youth for the rest of us.

On 6/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, 1039Revolutions said:

Billie was the one that checked himself into rehab because he knew he was working himself to death leading up to 2013, and needed a break. I don’t think we’ll ever see that Iheart Billie again, and if we do, that will be the time to worry. Otherwise, let the man have a few drinks in peace and hopefully we’ll get a much better album out of it.

REVRAD was amazing so we got the better album you were looking for. :D 

2 hours ago, Eric said:

REVRAD was amazing so we got the better album you were looking for. :D 

To each their own I guess. There were some decent songs on RevRad, but it felt very uninspired to me. The trilogy was the complete opposite imo.. a few duds for songs, but the massive inspiration transcended in the music for sure. I even felt the Longshot album was more inspired (and better) than RevRad.

Been a fan since 98. Always dreamed of seeing a GD related gig in Oakland. Haven't we all in Europe. Had a few days holiday so said fuck it, booked last minute flights London to SF. Wallet still recovering hah and writing from work cos my phone got nicked! Worth it for 2 fantastic gigs.

I arrived Thursday, day before the first show. Went to Mikes cafe Rudy's, had a Chupacabra burger and Shakin' Jesse, both delicious, living the dream! Didn't know about the Middle Aged Queers show, so got a free bus back to my airbnb and slept 12 fucking hours, cos jet lag and no kids 😂. Thought the queue would be long so went to Gilman. The bus driver knew I was a GD fan, he dropped me on the doorstep and said enjoy. I was there, at 924 Gilman Street, fucking unreal! Checked Google Maps, saw the Ashby house is 3 1/2 miles away, thought GD used to walk this, fuck it I will too... should of got the bloody bus 😂! Met a nice bloke from the Ashby care home who was impressed by my walk haha, took a pic of me on the steps. Had a coffee and rest at the Allegro Coffee place, tortured my feet some more, walked up Telegraph to "Stuart and the ave". One of my fave GD songs. Imagined Billie ripping up Amanda's photo there. Wasn't gunna do my feet in any more so got the bus, well I thought I wasn't but got off too late, did see a nice bit of Broadway so silver lining haha. Doors were open, went in, got a spot in the middle/back. Loved Nobody's Baby and Dead Sound, nice seeing Billie supporting Bill again.

The venue was TINY, felt like being in a pub at home! Couldn't believe it when Billie came on. I had this dream for 21 years, and it was fucking happening! Billie was on fire, real chemistry with the Prima Donna lads. Not a bad view, could tell he looked well. Devil's Kind is one of his best songs imo, so fucking happy to have heard it live. Big fan of The Damned and The Replacements so loved Neat Neat Neat and Bastards Of Young. Kept thinking of Billie on stage with The Replacements and that he deserved his fan boy moment, cos he gives them to his fans at every show! Missing You was fantastic. I know Jeffs a bellend 😂 but was impressed with that bassline. Regretted the walking of course but danced and jumped my arse off, must of lost some weight cos it was bloody hot in there! Walking out I saw all smiles around me. All of a sudden the pain started setting in bad from the walking and jumping cos it was over and adrenaline gone! So got an Uber, had a quick shower, texted the missus and a GD fan mate. Went to sleep smiling.

Woke up the next morning seized up 😂, but didn't know if I would get the chance to come back, so got the Bart to SF where WICA was filmed. Walked around the station for ages, found the phones, but I reached into my back pocket and my phone was gone. Didn't lose my Ashby house pics, or pics of the Gilman building, cos they were on my camera, but lost my selfies at Gilman and "Stuart and the ave". Tried to take a selfie with my camera, but a homeless man came to the phones, so gave up. Didn't know what to do without Google Maps, felt a bit down, so got the Bart back to Oakland. Went for a little walk at Lake Merritt. Knew Ruby Room was nearby so asked a man for directions, and he walked me to it. Turned out he was homeless, so tried to give him money but he turned it down, said he just wanted to help cos I was a visitor. Ruby Room's called that for a reason, it's all red lights, really dark aswell. Had a few beers, "drowned my sorrow". Felt better cos I was drinking at the Ruby Room! Hadn't eaten yet, so went to the Mcdonalds. There were armed cops, felt like "Murder City"! Wanted to listen to Ruby Room, but no phone so hummed it to myself like a nutter while walking to the Golden Bull. Got a bit lost again but followed some GD shirts. Was glad I didn't queue up all day cos it was boiling, felt bad for the people who did. Got a bit closer to the stage. Feet were still hurting, but tried to forget when Nobody's Baby came on. Really liked them and Dead Sound again.

Forgot all about my phone when I saw the band coming on. They were EVEN better than the first night, and that's saying something cos the first night was brilliant! Really loved Cult Hero, didn't realise how good it was until seeing it, love it now. Body Bag was great, couldn't see much cos Billie laid down, but was so happy for the fan that got to hold his mic. This time for the encore they played Fever Blister, it was fucking incredible! Didn't think I had any dancing left hahaha, it proved me wrong! They covered Born To Lose with Kevin singing, that was brilliant aswell, nice ode to Tom Petty. Could of cried as I left cos my dream came true. Can't thank Billie enough for doing this cos I bet it wasn't profitable, but for the fans, it was our dreams come true. FYI could tell Billie was sober at these, and he was BETTER than when I saw him with booze.

Don't like to complain but have to say 1 thing. I'm a crowdsurfer, done it at GD before, but the crowdsurfing at these was stupid. Nearly all same people all night at both shows. This is some fans only chance seeing Billie live intimately, it's not GD, not guaranteed it will happen again. They queued up all day, if you already saw GD and Longshot loads of times, let them enjoy the show. Know Billie liked it at other shows, but he turned his back, or gave daggers to most at these. Please someone give this girl a crowdsurfing lesson, cos using people like a climbing frame to the stage ain't crowdsurfing 😂. If the 2 blokes that thought I was with her cos of my accent are on here I wasn't haha

Well enough negativity. All in all fantastic time, had experiences worth more than my old phone. Would do it again if work allowed, was easier and less scary than I thought. If the new album is Longshot it's gunna be good, but if it's new GD it's gunna be good too, cos Billie is in good form. If you get the chance to go to Longshot, go even if overseas, it's worth the money. Not been on GDC for ages but so excited about this, had to share, think the wife, kids and colleagues are sick of the sound of my voice 😂!

6 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

To each their own I guess. There were some decent songs on RevRad, but it felt very uninspired to me. The trilogy was the complete opposite imo.. a few duds for songs, but the massive inspiration transcended in the music for sure. I even felt the Longshot album was more inspired (and better) than RevRad.

This. I like the inspiration and heart behind the Trilogy (a few duds for sure but that’s great to see actually: freedom and spirit! And overall the albums were so big and full of feeling) and the Longshot (kind of perfect).

RevRad was kind of sad for me. It was like a beautiful creative being on a very short leash and felt very captured and stunted. I hope Billie’s writing is very free and adventurous with the next Green Day album.

1 hour ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

RevRad was kind of sad for me. It was like a beautiful creative being on a very short leash and felt very captured and stunted. I hope Billie’s writing is very free and adventurous with the next Green Day album.

Interesting way to describe it but I know what you mean. It feels slightly inhibited and when I listen I can’t help thinking if he had just pushed himself a little more musically and lyricly...

@burnout_blast that was quite a trip! Thanks for that recap.  I noticed the same thing at the east coast shows last year, it was the same small group of people surfing constantly and jumping onstage at nearly every show.  

Sorry about your phone. I’m going to be heading out there in July and ngl the stories I hear of the crime freak me out a little bit. I’ll know to watch my bag on public transport.

Trilogy is a "yolo" record while RevRad is a safe but solid one. It feels like that with Trilogy they were trying to put out as much as they could as if they were in a hurry, revrad is different. It doesn't really feel like a smooth transition to something, but we'll see. It depends on the next album to make an opinion on RevRad in context of their catalog, but if the next one is more experiential, I won't complain. After Trilogy made sense to create a "standard" Green Day record and RevRad may be a closing of a chapter of their career after which they'll move on to a new sound. (Or they might continue making safe records, but revrad still is a good album).

Yo can we stick to Longshot show discussion please, bit too much random off topicness going on

1 hour ago, DadBod said:

This is a great edit. I wish it was longer.

I love that they cut over to Kevin instead of Jeff for the backing vocals. :lol:

"I play a wooden instrument I don't play a computer" :lol: 

On 6/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, burnout_blast said:

Don't like to complain but have to say 1 thing. I'm a crowdsurfer, done it at GD before, but the crowdsurfing at these was stupid. Nearly all same people all night at both shows. This is some fans only chance seeing Billie live intimately, it's not GD, not guaranteed it will happen again. They queued up all day, if you already saw GD and Longshot loads of times, let them enjoy the show. Know Billie liked it at other shows, but he turned his back, or gave daggers to most at these. 

This :wub: exactly. People kept coming on the middle-left side to go on stage and they were climbing on us... I don't crowdsurf, and I wouldn't have left my spot for anything as I was so glad to be right in front for the very first time. But I guess everyone has the right to have their own fun and be a bit selfish about it so I don't judge crowdsurfers. I just don't like them lol, especially when putting together that the same people kept doing it again, that for most it wouldn't be their only show of the tour, and that the show wasn't very long while the time to come for me was very long. I envy the time you slept while being there, I think I slept 7 hours in 3 days but for once I didn't feel it :P

About The Longshot shows in general, and partly in reaction to @LaughingClock on some points (but I won't quote you everywhere!), I'm glad to read these other stories from people, which I feel perhaps are lighter than the way I felt mine. I do feel very happy and lucky to have seen them 3 times in total. I would mostly stick to say that nothing comes over GD to me, starting with the music and even the show atmosphere, but overall it doesn't mean much for me to compare the two and say one is better, Longshot and GD: I found different things in both. Seeing Billie from that close was something unique and precious I won't find with GD. I think in an absolute way I would have exchanged 2 of my Longshot shows for one of RevRad in the US in summer of 2017 if I could have gone then. I rematched it by going to see The Longshot, with all it cost not only in money (which is the least I care about honestly, it was well spent so move on). After the first time I went last year, with a friend (and it was particularly great to be with a friend, I must say), I didn't spare my efforts to go to another and then another this year; each time, I had no hesitation at all about how badly I wanted it, my guts were speaking and it's the best when you do things because of that. And when it's done, I don't feel craving to see another show like after my RevRad shows, when I really wanted to see them again but knew I couldn't. With everything I will say below, going to see The Longhsot when I decided to and left everything behind for (and I was SO lucky this year that I have 2 neighbors who accepted to look over my rats both times, I think it must be the only people in the city who aren't afraid of rats) did me good on a deep level. It's not a straightforward easy experience, but a replenishing one. I'll talk about both aspects. (If you're in a hurry pass your way lol)

Before the show, I couldn't find myself among the other core fans that I had queued with all day. I'm not saying they weren't nice. But when I could meet people and talk with them, it's like the more I try to get closer and the more I feel alone, or like an alien. I think at the end of the day, it did me good to have all these moments with people, and not only at the show, in the city as well, and I go naturally to people even though it's not obvious for me, if that makes sense. But definitely, the particular atmosphere of small club shows isn't something I'd seek for itself, on the contrary to what I have read. I don't feel at my ease, it stresses me out, and I feel more alone than in a much larger audience where you'll only have one exchange with each random person, it can be little things that still do you a lot of good, and it'll stay as spontaneous all along because everyone is just a new person you hadn't had the time to put a tag on.

Pun intended with the time I had, when queuing, to see the other people doing all they do on social media with their phone. Yikes. I may be crazy on a certain amount of things but this kind of craziness scares me real. Too much things going on at the same time for your brain when there's already so much you freak out about like that, but for once you could just sit and relax without caring what other people through the phone think of you waiting for the show, which I don't know why you need to be reminded to freak over even more. Too much isolation to bury yourself in the phone, while each person on the line does that. Too much superficiality to deal when you're surfing from a point to another, from one umpteenth neat selfie to another punchline with the smileys on point. I don't mind that for a bit. But beyond how void I find it, the tenth of what others do, I simply couldn't. My brain goes fast but not my hand, I need time to say things. I really admire Billie's way with social media, though. Shows you can find your own ease with it, without having to conform to any freakout trend threatening to carry you away, nor ceasing to be aware and outspoken about the whole thing. (But that's another subject.)

The show was awesome, so awesome precisely, with a strong ephemeral feeling to it that makes it more special, but also sadder, and it's not related to post-gig depression once again because I felt like this while it was going on. It's like having this experience when I'm so close to Billie to see him play, is a roller coaster of emotions. I loved the music and the dancing ambiance but it's not really what I came for, I came by essence for having this experience of seeing him so close. And what I get out of it, during it, I can't resume it by happiness or joy. Even though I was crying with joy the whole show, but in a way I guess it's not... that easy to be that close to him. It feels weird to say it. During the RevRad shows I regretted not to have seen him a lot with my eyes, but now that it was the complete contrary, it made me feel sad and overwhelmed at the same time. Everything was slowing down to me. Excitation fell back completely. Too much beauty to handle to just keep jumping, although I did it quite a lot, like the others, but I feel like it was more a way to vent emotions away, while somewhere inside me I would've wanted to stay still while watching him, and to give myself more time to feel things precisely, including the sadness that I felt from it. Maybe I did it for a bit when I managed to get out of my head completely for a while, and just be in the vision I had.

Really, for me, the whole thing of the Longshot show in a small club, is like a dramatic experience of a bunch of people who love Billie like their flesh, who get crazy altogether in a big joyful mess very close to him, with him, but the joy and letting yourself go mask the dilemma that there's no real way to grasp what there is in him that you love so much. He'll just be there, let you come as close as you want practically, put it out for you, but it's like something he takes away with him when it's done. And people do all this to come to a show just to have a taste of it and having to let it go then. It's not negative, it's even beautiful, but it's sad, cause it's this lack that keeps us moving. When Billie teased fans during Happiness, asking how much we're happy right now, feigning to be skeptical about it and then saying that we're just miserable to be there, it hit me right in the same thing I'm trying to describe. The drama going underneath the dancing.

When a few people climbing on stage touched him like a trophy, I understand it perfectly even though I wouldn't do it, it illustrates that and symbolically people touch him to get a connection they can't have. And that, no matter what you could do or how close you physically get. Seeing him from that close, you know it. At the same time, my feeling of sadness came from the one I feel just from his performance, among all of what he shares through his music. I like that feeling of sadness, I find it beautiful, I come naturally to it, I even look for it to some extent. But it's a lot to take. It's like a boost of all he's got to share coming on you for a hour and a half and it can be heavy to deal with because it hits you deep. What should I do with all this emotional load? But at the same time, how not to lose it afterwards?

Other thing, not the easiest, to find myself that close, it sent me back to my bad esteem of myself. I guess Billie is that important for me that I felt like I shouldn't shadow his presence by standing in front of him. Yeah it's that dumb. While for other people I'm learning not to care what they think anymore. But with him, I thought he didn't like me whenever he'd lay his eyes on me. Or thought the same thing if he didn't :P. You get the basket case. Glad it makes me laugh a bit now. So I'm probably very dumb to say it but it's like seeing him so close, I'll have an even worst esteem of myself in the immediate afterwards. When I was strolling in Oakland the 2 following days I felt really good but when I came back, I was like: "Oh my god, why have I done this? everyone must've found me so weird. I want to hide in a hole." And for a while, I can't be comfortable with feeling weird even though there's no particular reason. I keep forgetting beforehand that it happens like that each time I go to a show but I should know it by now. And when the experience is over, my whole life feels distant from me. There's not much in it, not much I hold onto. I quickly get the feeling that: okay. Time to go back from nothing again. It's depressive at first but eventually it's refreshing and keeps me moving. Without those shows or events Billie-related, not much would do this for me, probably because I still have my life thanks to him.

Finally, I thought I'd feel better if I had met him even quickly at at least one of these shows but in hindsight, I'm probably happy I didn't yet, because with all this going in my head, I would have interpreted the least thing in a twisted way. Also, I think I'm the kind of person to really need a few minutes with someone to feel less awkward. Would I have had a few minutes with Billie even if I got to speak to him at an occasion like this? Doubtful. I would love to ask him about a few lyrics, and of course say thank you but a thrown "thank you" while not being able to take your time because plenty of other fans around are dying to have something with him as well, wouldn't be satisfying. Maybe it would with some unpredictable luck, but I have to be in the right condition myself, not to be so self-conscious and eager. So it's okay to leave it for another time. At first I felt it like a lot of hopes down, but in fact it's liberating to see that it'll probably be better later. When I saw him so close, which was like the best vision I can ever have of anything, along with the emotional experience around it, it's something precious that helps me grow up. One thing I was never able before being a Billie fan was to have my own private corner (like your "own fucking rosebush" in the podcast Billie did a few months ago), I can like things and do stuff for myself, and be alone can be constructive and not necessarily destructive. I used to be bored as a child all the time but now it never happens. I can't convince anyone I'm a bit depressive these days cause I keep doing stuff and the smile on. Thanks to that little man.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, The Bellie said:

I understand a lot of your feelings. But just remember Billie and anyone else didn't think badly of you or judge you during the show even if you couldn't help feeling that way, that's just worry/self consciousness playing on your mind. Billie/anyone else who saw you just saw another person there in the crowd enjoying the show like everyone else, and he would be happy and appreciative that you were there in front of him as a fan of his band. I'm glad it was a positive experience overall!

On 6/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, The Bellie said:

I relate so much to this! Especially the parts about that feeling of loss after a show. You're experiencing such an amazing thing in the moment and you're ecstatic about it, but in the back of your mind you're also sad because it won't last. I also get what you're saying about the self esteem thing. It's really easy to think of Billie as being this perfect being that's unattainable and feel like you're not worthy of being in his presence. But in reality, he's probably one of the most kind, understanding, and down to earth people out there who would readily contradict all those feelings. Getting to go to just one Longshot show was absolutely incredible, and I wasn't even that close to Billie, but I can understand how being super close to him for an extended time and not getting to "know" him might be rough. When I was just inches from him at the end of the AI musical, I was in complete awe and it was like time kind of stopped.

I appreciate your post and can relate. I was being painfully shy after the Teragram show and missed out on probably my only chance to genuinely meet and chat up Billie for a few moments. I certainly regret it but was being far too polite but glad he was having a good time after the show and didn't want to interrupt like so many other were doing. I did get to thank him from a distance for all he meant to me but he was rushed out of the bar. I'm just glad he got out safe. There was one fan who was really sketchy outside the Teragram ballroom and I tried to talk him down from visiting Billie's hotel aftewards once they had left. This man was clearly on drugs and acting like a total stalker. As much as I regert not getting a picture or a short convo with Billie at the bar afterwards-I'm glad I dealt with the situation with class and politeness. Silver linings though-I got to chat up so many people that night who remembered me from past PrimaDonna shows and got to meet Jeff Matika and thank Bill Shcneider for all the Influents shows when I was just 16 years old. He was truly touched to know how much those shows in CA  meant to me. Good people!

More of the limited posters are available 

Gah! I want one, but...   adulting sucks.

Archived