New Longshot Shows

Squashie

On 6/14/2019 at 6:25 AM, desertrose said:

I guess full sobriety is over, but he seems happy healthy and in control so hopefully that keeps up!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

I guess full sobriety is over, but he seems happy healthy and in control so hopefully that keeps up!

Yeah he's been seen with drinks quite a few times since his rehab stuff, shortly after even. He never said he would be teetotal. And also I'm fairly sure he's taking the mickey/teasing by posing with the bottle like that anyway :P. And it could be non alcoholic beer. In conclusion no need to worry.

37 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Chill out dude, I drink too but god forbid I worry about the health of one of my idols growing up? 

37 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

If you’re an alcoholic it does so you can show that to Amy Winehouse, except oh wait, you can’t...

42 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

The comment wasn't unreasonable and clearly comes from a new member who hasn't been here for all the other times this has come up. No need for overreaction 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Yeah he's been seen with drinks quite a few times since his rehab stuff, shortly after even. He never said he would be teetotal. And also I'm fairly sure he's taking the mickey/teasing by posing with the bottle like that anyway :P. And it could be non alcoholic beer. In conclusion no need to worry.

That is definitely not a non acoholic beer, looks like a Miller Lite.

Just now, Eric said:

That is definitely not a non acoholic beer, looks like a Miller Lite.

Yeah probably, doesn't matter anyway though for the other reasons mentioned

Just now, Hermione said:

Yeah probably, doesn't matter anyway though for the other reasons mentioned

True... I am all for him drinking again. Beer is good stuff :D

21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

The comment wasn't unreasonable and clearly comes from a new member who hasn't been here for all the other times this has come up. No need for overreaction 

I think the only overreaction here is analyzing whether or not it's okay for him to drink beer and whether or not his beer is alcoholic.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

I think the only overreaction here is analyzing whether or not it's okay for him to drink beer and whether or not his beer is alcoholic.

My intention was just to say there's no point in worrying about it for several reasons (one being that when he's seen with - omg - a beer, it isn't even always alcoholic). To clarify it doesn't matter whether it is or not, it's his business what he drinks, and we don't need to analyse it. 

The original comment still clearly wasn't an attempt to start a whole thing off though, so why don't we not.

If you ask me though a person that has never seen green day live its a given I'd rather watch green day in an arena or a small show than longshot/pinhead/whatever. Even Foxboro would come second after actual green day. 

5 hours ago, Jankowski576 said:

The best recovered addicts can have a beer if they want and still own their sobriety. It’s a myth that being sober means alcohol or whatever can never touch your lips again or your counting your days again. (It’s that for some people, a majority even but not all)

Some people, myself included, just enjoy knowing I am in control and don’t drink or do drugs sans an occasional shot or beer. (I was never a big drinker but used to be a drug addict and am not anymore) but there is nuance. A beer does not equate relapse whether he had one or not.

And that’s why he looked right in the camera and took a sip. I promise you all need not worry. He’s healthy and happy. Just look. :)

39 minutes ago, petros said:

If you ask me though a person that has never seen green day live its a given I'd rather watch green day in an arena or a small show than longshot/pinhead/whatever. Even Foxboro would come second after actual green day. 

Slightly different if you haven't seen Green Day live yet I guess. But until 2009 I hadn't seen them either and I already knew 100% that I'd rather see a FBHT show than Green Day show. Ended up seeing both later that year and confirmed it. The intimate party atmosphere just can't be beaten, I think I'd even choose a FBHT or Longshot (which seems similar) show over a Green Day show in a small venue just for the vibe that the more rock n roll side projects have that works perfectly in a place like that. 

Just like hearing about FBHT shows back in 2008, hearing about the Longshot shows now is more exciting (and jealousy inducing :P) to me than hearing about Green Day shows. Green Day shows are awesome, but shows like this in a small venue are extra awesome.

I'm sorry because I really don't want to encourage discussions about Billie's drinking or imply that what I'm going to say applies to him. But as a recovering alcoholic (just had my 31st sober birthday) the "most alcoholics are safe to drink" rhetoric that comes up every time Billie's seen with a drink annoys me because it's dangerous. In those 31 years, having taken meetings and done phone service for years, as well as visiting alcoholics in prison, I've never known a single alcoholic who could safely continue drinking. If they could they weren't an alcoholic. No program I've ever heard of or been part of would encourage it either. That's not to say it's impossible but it's a rare exception, not the rule and shouldn't be encouraged without knowing someone's circumstances.

Again, I'm not saying this applies to Billie. I have no idea how his sobriety works and it's none of my business. I'm saying this purely on the basis of it being a harmful statement to throw around. I wouldn't want someone to go away from this thread thinking it's OK for them to have a drink when they're trying not to. Sometimes that misplaced validation is all a struggling alcoholic needs.

Maybe instead of insisting Billie's drinking must be healthy now, we just shouldn't discuss it. It's no less an invasion of privacy than worrying anyway. Whether or not there are reasons to be pleased or to worry, it's not for us to do so unless he shares that with us.

Look at the evidence: research shows that roughly 70% of people diagnosed with alcohol use disorder are able to cut down on their drinking without returning to clinical levels of drinking again. AA abstinence culture is so ingrained in people that they don't question some of the rhetoric. AA has helped many people but the program has never been studied to measure effectiveness.  There is no scientific evidence that supports an "allergy to alcohol." Many people who struggle with alcohol use are able to cut down on their drinking. Many times drinking emerges as a coping mechanism and once people find better ways of coping, they don't rely on alcohol as a means of doing so.

51 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm sorry because I really don't want to encourage discussions about Billie's drinking or imply that what I'm going to say applies to him. But as a recovering alcoholic (just had my 31st sober birthday) the "most alcoholics are safe to drink" rhetoric that comes up every time Billie's seen with a drink annoys me because it's dangerous. In those 31 years, having taken meetings and done phone service for years, as well as visiting alcoholics in prison, I've never known a single alcoholic who could safely continue drinking. If they could they weren't an alcoholic. No program I've ever heard of or been part of would encourage it either. That's not to say it's impossible but it's a rare exception, not the rule and shouldn't be encouraged without knowing someone's circumstances.

Again, I'm not saying this applies to Billie. I have no idea how his sobriety works and it's none of my business. I'm saying this purely on the basis of it being a harmful statement to throw around. I wouldn't want someone to go away from this thread thinking it's OK for them to have a drink when they're trying not to. Sometimes that misplaced validation is all a struggling alcoholic needs.

Maybe instead of insisting Billie's drinking must be healthy now, we just shouldn't discuss it. It's no less an invasion of privacy than worrying anyway. Whether or not there are reasons to be pleased or to worry, it's not for us to do so unless he shares that with us.

Congratulations on 31 years of sobriety! 

5 hours ago, desertrose said:

Those are gorgeous pictures!

There's different schools of thought about treatment for alcoholism. But the bottom line is there shouldn't need to be a whole discussion about this subject every time Billie is seen with a drink or playing in a club, it doesn't warrant it. I do think there's a difference between insisting he's healthy now (since this isn't information we're privy to) and just saying he seems to be fine and can take care of himself and it's his business anyway so there's no need to worry about it, if someone who hasn't seen these discussions before sees a picture and makes a reasonable comment. But yeah, just not discussing it is the aim, I should have mentioned that in my first reply.

Anyway I thought the video was funny :P 

17 hours ago, Hermione said:

Slightly different if you haven't seen Green Day live yet I guess. But until 2009 I hadn't seen them either and I already knew 100% that I'd rather see a FBHT show than Green Day show. Ended up seeing both later that year and confirmed it. The intimate party atmosphere just can't be beaten, I think I'd even choose a FBHT or Longshot (which seems similar) show over a Green Day show in a small venue just for the vibe that the more rock n roll side projects have that works perfectly in a place like that. 

Just like hearing about FBHT shows back in 2008, hearing about the Longshot shows now is more exciting (and jealousy inducing :P) to me than hearing about Green Day shows. Green Day shows are awesome, but shows like this in a small venue are extra awesome.

Herm, you always surprise me. Would have never taken you for hardcore but you are.

15 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

As someone that employs the “I can have a beer when I want to still” mentality and maintain my sobriety, you’re dead on and I did say that but just like you said it’s your method for you (and I said even a majority) but you’re right, for many it’s a path back to relapse and Im glad you said what you said.

keep it up brother (or sister). 

As for the “sharing with us” part, it’s being discussed because Billie took a beer and either did or didn’t take a sip and looked right into the canera knowing it would be discussed and locked eyes with the camera so he did. But he had “fuck off” eyes on. Lol

Archived