New Longshot Shows

Squashie

I always think the songs from the Trilogy typify what Billie means when he says he often writes songs to be played live, I think these songs sound great live and he is proving this with Longshot.

@LaughingClock I couldn't like your post more or agree more!

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, ¡Nunes! said:

That's awesome! After the first tour I promised myself I'd go to US to attend the next Longshot shows, but the really short time between announcement and the shows 8revented me to follow the plan :(

I managed to find a 180 dollar plane ticket, maybe as I live at night these days it helps :P but yeah it was the first time I saw a price so low, for a direct flight!

4 hours ago, petros said:

I'm pretty sure he's made some comments on the Trilogy not being that good during the revrad interviews too. 

I'm pretty sure he never said exactly that, and everything since shows he keeps coming back to these songs even discretely. What I remember during the trilogy, is that he said speaking of 21CB that he was sad that GD had lost their goofy part for that record, the part of the band he's always loved. For me, it's no wonder he affectionates the trilogy songs which sounded way different, more joyful, they sounded how he wanted them to. While for the 21CB songs, after they'd played part of the record in the dedicated tour, he didn't feel the need to come back to those songs afterwards, although a lot of them are great. Perhaps because they got the love they deserved, on the contrary to the trilogy ones. If these songs weren't worth it, for himself in first, he wouldn't have come back to it like he has done since the RevRad tour.

4 hours ago, petros said:

And the majority of the rest of the world feeling like this too.

I want to be the minority :wub: and honestly I don't care how other fans feel about these songs, it doesn't change how I love them.

2 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Well he did write them haha I think part of leaking the trilogy into The Longshot has to do with the trilogy being 37 songs. Even if they put in 3-4 trilogy songs for the next Green Day leg he's still missing out on playing 33 songs that he wrote that he may never get to play with GD again

GD nutbars like us that still listen to the songs we don't like and yet somehow still love them

What do you mean songs we don't like? :P

He's missing out on playing songs from every album. But he has played enough snippets or spoken enough here and there of trilogy songs so that we may know about some he particularly loves or is proud of or which means something important to him. As for the rest they all mean something to him. I can't take one song of Billie's without figuring it meant something to him. Every song, whether I like it more or less, is precious because it's a part of him. I could never say "this is shit" especially not speaking of the latest GD songs which I find so good.

Billie needs to stop thinking no ones listens to the trilogy. I listen to them every day. Fell For You is my default song and Tre my default album (I mean I play them by default if no idea what to listen because I know I'm going to enjoy them a lot). I'm somehow proud of him if he has chosen to let place for them despite thinking no ones listens to the records, but it's not true !

If Billie Joe doesn't leave that mindset that he must please the masses then he will never realise that the Trilogy is well loved. I can't believe that he said that. One of the most asked things is variety on the Green Day shows and the Trilogy has enough of that to share.

Is sad because Billie seems enjoy the songs, but he is trapped on the press reception or that "nobody" knows the songs. I bet he left behind the bad mojo that those times put on him writing that stuff. To me it's time for Green Day to embrace that material back. There will be people who will appreciate that deeply. Me included :)

21 minutes ago, greendepent said:

If Billie Joe doesn't leave that mindset that he must please the masses then he will never realise that the Trilogy is well loved. I can't believe that he said that. One of the most asked things is variety on the Green Day shows and the Trilogy has enough of that to share.

Is sad because Billie seems enjoy the songs, but he is trapped on the press reception or that "nobody" knows the songs. I bet he left behind the bad mojo that those times put on him writing that stuff. To me it's time for Green Day to embrace that material back. There will be people who will appreciate that deeply. Me included :)

And me 😍

Of course he knows there are fans of the songs out there calm down. He as I is talking about the mass reception of the trilogy. Nobody said you can't love these records if you do.

@The Bellie Here:

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/billie-joe-armstrong-says-green-days-2012-trilogy-albums-no-direction/

“Those records have absolutely no direction to them.”

“It was about being prolific for the sake of it. So we were just going and going and going.”

I'm pretty sure there are other quotes as well, something about the sound of the guitars that he looking back didn't like.

Love the trilogy all you want. It's all a matter of taste and timing. I understand for some people trilogy was the first green day release they got so maybe they have sentimental connection to those albums. Others just love simple fun pop punk. The mass didn't like it. Billie doesn't think it's his best work. I personally think it's terrible for green day's standards, still would prefer listening to the trilogy than a lot of shit out there. Stop being so sensitive and accept the trilogy overall is viewed as a bad project musically.

1 minute ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Again, the trilogy was made for artists, not Green Day fans.

I mostly defend trilogy, but come on, it's really not that great :P

6 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

It’s not great to ‘you’ because you don’t know what great is, no offence.

Lmao good for you if you find it great

26 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Again, the trilogy was made for artists, not Green Day fans.

giphy.gif

Lol dude, I mean I have my clear preferences when it comes to Green Day albums and I am also a notorious trilogy disliker (not a hater tho, I always respectfully disagree), but I never went as far as to say American Idiot, Dookie or Nimrod (for example) were "made for artists, not Green Day fans". That seems so pretentious lmao

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

giphy.gif

Lol dude, I mean I have my clear preferences when it comes to Green Day albums and I am also a notorious trilogy disliker (not a hater tho, I always respectfully disagree), but I never went as far as to  say American Idiot, Dookie or Nimrod (for example) were "made for artists, not Green Day fans". That's so pretentious lmao

giphy.gif

Deleted Comment

I messed up. I have an extra ticket for tonight at the LA show. None of my fiends in LA can or want to go. Anyone want the extra? I’ll be there tomorrow too

Time has been and will continue to be kind to the trilogy. 😎

Some of my favorite albums of all time and I'm glad their spirit lives on within an awesome side project.

29 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

If anything, Revolution Radio has no direction, and has some of the worst mixing on any Green Day album. The Trilogy is mixed perfectly, like.. 💯 perfectly (from a musical/production standpoint). It carries the same vibe and sound over 37 songs, and whether you like the songs or not.. that is a really hard thing to pull of.

Lastly, they said numerous times they were trying to create a specific live sound/classic rock sound with their guitar tones, and completely nailed it (from a musical stand point).. but regular (non-musician/guitar playing) fans aren’t going to have a clue what he’s talking about when he says things like at.

I'll agree with you on one thing, RevRad is quite badly mixed and has pretty shoddy production (for Green Day's standards, post Kerplunk). I'll also agree that the Trilogy is well mixed. Unfortunately, that's where my appreciation for the trilogy ends.

As a guitarist and 60s/70s rock fan myself, I think I know what they might have been trying to go for in terms of production on those records, but that doesn't stop me from disagreeing with you or them that they actually achieved it or that the whole thing makes any sense in the first place. 

For one thing, I actually LIKE many trilogy songs live. That's because in my opinion they DO sound different live than in studio. I'm not entirely sure if they actually use the same amount of overdrive as on the record or more, or if the amp set-up is different, but part of it being played live already takes out some of the sterility and coldness of the trilogy's production. 

See here's the thing: if they were going for a more 60s-ish feel, then they have pulled it off a lot better on the FBHT and Longshot albums, because the production on these records is relatively simple, low-fi and "dirty", which perfectly matches the feel of the songs, both thematically and lyrically. 

The trilogy on the other hand sounds waaaay to clean for it be associated with a true 60s vibe or so-called "live" sound. It sounds nothing like as if it were being played live. I don't even mean the guitar sound specifically, I mean that everything was overly polished and corrected (in Green Day standard fashion) and on top of that, there was less grit in the guitar sound than usual to compensate for that. As a result, the mixing might well have been spot-on and the production "competently done", but the whole thing just sounds devoid of any life. In my opion, Demolicious (or FBHT / The Longshot) gets a lot closer to what I think they would have liked to achieve. 

Haha @1039Revolutions deleting comments about us not being good enough in listening to music to appreciate the BMX-excellent tits and drinking angel piss.

I personally believe the trilogy sounds fine that's not the problem I have with it. Plus while I can see the faults in revrad production, it still sounds sounds good to me. 

Yeah, I don't think RevRad sounds terrible either, but having started doing some of my own mixing and mastering work and having invested a little in more hi-fi / accurate sound equipment, I've gradually grown to have a more sensitive ear in this regard. RevRad really doesn't sound bad, by any means, but one can tell that it was recorded in a different, more stripped down environment than usual and that they didn't have the usual production staff around them fine-tuning things etc. 

Also, yeah my main problem with the trilogy will forever be the lyrics and that they decided to release a trilogy in the first place. I was purely offering my perspective on that particular issue, as it's one of the things that also happens to bother me about the trilogy and I won't simply be told "you just don't understand the art bruh" or "you don't know what you're talking about bruh".

Ok, so I screwed up and thought the Santa show was tonight and LA tomorrow. My friend who I am going with in Santa said it's tomorrow and was correct, now I need a like minded person.

This is not a will call ticket.  It's an e-ticket.  Just want a bud.  Anyone wanna go?  Line jumper ticket I believe.

1 hour ago, petros said:

Haha @1039Revolutions deleting comments about us not being good enough in listening to music to appreciate the BMX-excellent tits and drinking angel piss.

I personally believe the trilogy sounds fine that's not the problem I have with it. Plus while I can see the faults in revrad production, it still sounds sounds good to me. 

I deleted the comments because this is a longshot shows page, and I didn’t want to contribute going way off topic, that’s all.

Archived