Squashie

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

No Billie that’s not true 13.gif

4 minutes ago, J a c said:

No Billie that’s not true 13.gif

So not true and to prove it I spent two hours of my drive today streaming the trilogy. #streamtrilogyforbillie

So true Billie, I'm glad you're realizing what happened and you're not a stubborn rock star that doesn't realize his failures. 

8 minutes ago, petros said:

So true Billie, I'm glad you're realizing what happened and you're not a stubborn rock star that doesn't realize his failures. 

You think he thought it was their most successful album before now? Pretty sure he's always been fully aware of how it was received and hasn't pretended otherwise, that doesn't mean he considers it a failure artistically. The fact that he's playing songs from it and lamenting that it wasn't well received would suggest that he doesn't. I mean it's cool that he's humble enough to admit when something he did wasn't successful but he's not saying he doesn't like the albums or that they're bad.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

You think he thought it was their most successful album before now? Pretty sure he's always been fully aware of how it was received, that doesn't mean he considers it a failure artistically. The fact that he's playing songs from it and lamenting that it wasn't well received would suggest that he doesn't.

I've seen many rockstars take the approach of their failures being so good that general public didn't get it. That comment from Billie doesn't seem like that to me. So I'm glad he realizes nobody listens to those albums apart from like a hundred people in the whole world and he's okay with it to make fun of the fact. 

I'm pretty sure he's made some comments on the Trilogy not being that good during the revrad interviews too. 

And let's not start with this again please it's been going since 2012. People can love their green day with songs like troublemaker, nuclear family, angel blue, make out party, walk away and all that I don't care. I can have my opinion thinking it's shit. And the majority of the rest of the world feeling like this too. Who knows maybe it's actually true. And please don't come to me with warning not being received well too while being a solid record. That album was a new sound. A big fuck you to their punk rock image. Major change. So it's logical people didn't get it. Obviously they kinda changed the sound with the trilogy but it wasn't a huge change that caught people off guard. 

12 minutes ago, petros said:

How come its a failure? Its their best work!

16 minutes ago, Asik said:

How come its a failure? Its their best work!

You can like it all you want, fact is by the majority of fans it's considered the weakest release. 

21 minutes ago, petros said:

I've seen many rockstars take the approach of their failures being so good that general public didn't get it. That comment from Billie doesn't seem like that to me. So I'm glad he realizes nobody listens to those albums apart from like a hundred people in the whole world and he's okay with it to make fun of the fact. 

Agreed. But I'm just saying I don't think he's saying he thinks the albums are bad (even if you think they are, which is fine :P)

7 minutes ago, petros said:

You can like it all you want, fact is by the majority of fans it's considered the weakest release. 

Eveb though voice of majority doesnt mean shit, more people on the gda think the trilogy was good. Think what you want, but its their best record

The trilogy and Longshot are tied as my second favourite things Billie has ever done. I realise that's still an unpopular opinion and he obviously does too. But I'm glad he also recognises that's subjective and the songs are worth at least experimenting with live. Longshot is a way to continue exploring those themes and give the trilogy some love without subjecting 30,000 people at a Green Day show to it. He's barely even trying to promote it to anyone but those who are interested. So I'm sure glad it exists for us few who enjoy it.

26 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Agreed. But I'm just saying I don't think he's saying he thinks the albums are bad (even if you think they are, which is fine :P)

I never said he thinks they are bad though I can't possibly know what another person has in his mind can I? He did say some negative things about how the trilogy turned out or about how it sounded though I do remember that can't be bother to check exactly what he said now. 

24 minutes ago, Asik said:

Eveb though voice of majority doesnt mean shit, more people on the gda think the trilogy was good. Think what you want, but its their best record

Well people like me and you here aren't the majority of the fans. We follow the band much closer. We're like 20% of the fan base and maybe that's even an overstate. 70% are the casual fans and the rest 10% people that know boulevard and september and basket case. 

So as I said there's nothing wrong with thinking the guy that wrote one of my lies, 86, uptight, misery, jos, restless heart etc peaked on songs like makeout party, wow that's loud, loss of control, trouble maker, sex drugs and violence and walk away. It's just not true based on how the world viewed those songs and the critical acclaim he got for the previous releases. Nothing wrong with you or whoever enjoying these. It's surely not their best record though among casual or non casual fans.

21 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

The trilogy and Longshot are tied as my second favourite things Billie has ever done.

What's the first?

14 minutes ago, petros said:

I never said he thinks they are bad though I can't possibly know what another person has in his mind can I? He did say some negative things about how the trilogy turned out or about how it sounded though I do remember that can't be bother to check exactly what he said now. 

Well people like me and you here aren't the majority of the fans. We follow the band much closer. We're like 20% of the fan base and maybe that's even an overstate. 70% are the casual fans and the rest 10% people that know boulevard and september and basket case. 

So as I said there's nothing wrong with thinking the guy that wrote one of my lies, 86, uptight, misery, jos, restless heart etc peaked on songs like makeout party, wow that's loud, loss of control, trouble maker, sex drugs and violence and walk away. It's just not true based on how the world viewed those songs and the critical acclaim he got for the previous releases. Nothing wrong with you or whoever enjoying these. It's surely not their best record though among casual or non casual fans.

What's the first?

I would choose wow thats loud over 86 any day

15 minutes ago, petros said:

What's the first?

He peaked with songs like x-kid, brutal love,missing you, the forgotten, lazy bones, 99 revolutions, stay the night etc

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

You think he thought it was their most successful album before now? Pretty sure he's always been fully aware of how it was received and hasn't pretended otherwise, that doesn't mean he considers it a failure artistically. The fact that he's playing songs from it and lamenting that it wasn't well received would suggest that he doesn't. I mean it's cool that he's humble enough to admit when something he did wasn't successful but he's not saying he doesn't like the albums or that they're bad.

This is the best post I've ever read from you.  I don't mean that as a slight.  Just a great post!  Also "Missing You" is a perfect Longshot song.  The fact that Lomgshot exists is for the exact reasons you're saying.  He has no shame anymore if admitting his desires and influences as an artist and he loves 50s and 60s progressions and it shows even in his early hard stuff.  Missing You IS way more of a Longshot song than a GD song.  It sounds like the Beatles could have made it.  High compliment.  Billie writes lyrics and harmonies better than anyone living IMO.

BTW, I still have another ticket for the LA show that as of this moment, I need to get rid of for tomorrow.  I'm pretty much definitely gonna be there tonight but if someone (prefer someone from out of town) but if you need a ticket, LMK.  Mine are electronic e-tix.  I can e-mail em.  Not SURE if you have to walk in with me but I don't think so.  

1 minute ago, LaughingClock said:

This is the best post I've ever read from you.  I don't mean that as a slight.  Just a great post!

BTW, I still have another ticket for the LA show that as of this moment, I need to get rid of for tomorrow.  I'm pretty much definitely gonna be there tonight but if someone (prefer someone from out of town) but if you need a ticket, LMK.  Mine are electronic e-tix.  I can e-mail em.  Not SURE if you have to walk in with me but I don't think so.  

An extra for tonight’s LA show, or tomorrow’s OC show? I’m going tonight, and am looking for a ticket for tomorrow. (I live in LA, btw)

1 hour ago, petros said:

You can certainly give your own opinion, but you can’t speak for “the majority of fans” or anyone else and there are no facts here. Whether something is good or bad is a matter of opinion.

24 minutes ago, petros said:

I never said he thinks they are bad though I can't possibly know what another person has in his mind can I? 

Exactly. 

And even a poorly received album is a big seller by anyone else’s standards. When GD typically sells millions, a few hundred thousand is less by comparison (and maybe considered a “failure” commercially) but still a lot of people. Look up the actual sales and streams to date if you can you’ll see it’s not just a handful of diehard fans that enjoy these albums. 

They have to start accepting the trilogy for what it was which was a musical experiment. Experiments are not typically well received. That's why some of the best musicians in the world are playing to an extremely small fan base of dedicated fans like in Jazz Fusion. It's not for the masses to sing a long to. It's for the musician and other musicians. 

I was looking at comments from musicians about the trilogy and despite seeing some really bad musical dad jokes the group of musicians that were interacting there were actually giving some credit to the trilogy. A bass player was talking about how the basslines on the trilogy were significantly better than the two efforts prior and one guy credited the songwriting and mentioned that there are some great songs in there if you search through the bulk. 

I think musically there is something to take out of it. The production on the other hand makes it really hard to enjoy it at times. I think Billie's feelings towards the trilogy are just more about putting a dark chapter of his life behind him. He's always going to feel somewhat responsible for what happened and it's obvious he wants to move past it. 

43 minutes ago, Asik said:

I would choose wow thats loud over 86 any day

He peaked with songs like x-kid, brutal love,missing you, the forgotten, lazy bones, 99 revolutions, stay the night etc

Wow, there are some intelligent ‘music’ fans in here after all! 👍

16 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

They have to start accepting the trilogy for what it was which was a musical experiment. Experiments are not typically well received. That's why some of the best musicians in the world are playing to an extremely small fan base of dedicated fans like in Jazz Fusion. It's not for the masses to sing a long to. It's for the musician and other musicians. 

I was looking at comments from musicians about the trilogy and despite seeing some really bad musical dad jokes the group of musicians that were interacting there were actually giving some credit to the trilogy. A bass player was talking about how the basslines on the trilogy were significantly better than the two efforts prior and one guy credited the songwriting and mentioned that there are some great songs in there if you search through the bulk. 

I think musically there is something to take out of it. The production on the other hand makes it really hard to enjoy it at times. I think Billie's feelings towards the trilogy are just more about putting a dark chapter of his life behind him. He's always going to feel somewhat responsible for what happened and it's obvious he wants to move past it. 

Cool but also it seems he doesn’t want to move past it because lucky for us he’s resurrecting some of the best ones under the Longshot shingle so clearly he still loves those songs. 

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Cool but also it seems he doesn’t want to move past it because lucky for us he’s resurrecting some of the best ones under the Longshot shingle so clearly he still loves those songs. 

Well he did write them haha I think part of leaking the trilogy into The Longshot has to do with the trilogy being 37 songs. Even if they put in 3-4 trilogy songs for the next Green Day leg he's still missing out on playing 33 songs that he wrote that he may never get to play with GD again

He's playing a small intimate club of crazy Green Day and Longshot fans he can get away with more because the majority of people there are GD nutbars like us that still listen to the songs we don't like and yet somehow still love them in this weird love/hate relationship. 

Archived