I'm pretty sure you guys feel the same

brainstevv

bruh so I'm new to green day n shit but when I listen to them I FUCKING FEEL LIKE I BORN IN the WRONG GENERATION LIKE FUUUUCK THIS SHIT 

do y'all feel the same:(

Not really. Sure, a lot of mainstream music is shit nowadays but we have more music to listen to now than people did in the 90s. Search for more music and I'm sure you'll find some fantastic stuff from both recent times and the past

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

party like it's the 90's

"Party like its 1999. I dont even know what that means". -Billie joe

Eh, I don't think so, but it probably depends on how old you are. I was a teenager in the 00s when bands like Green Day, FOB, MCR, P!ATD etc. ruled the charts and MTV events. It was really the best time to be a teenager in terms of my music taste and I wouldn't change it.

I used to feel this way. I used to feel like aw man! I should've been born earlier to really enjoy bands like Green Day and Nirvana. And while sometimes I wish I could go back in time to be there for monumental moments, like Woodstock or Jaded in Chicago, I wouldn't change it now. I feel like some of that desire, for me at least, goes back to finding GD during AI and being made to feel ashamed about it. I had people around me who tried to make me feel like I wasn't a "True fan" because I didn't really listen to them prior to AI. Now, I know that's bullshit. Who cares when you find the band? All that matters is that you dig their music and they make you feel good! 

2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I used to feel this way. I used to feel like aw man! I should've been born earlier to really enjoy bands like Green Day and Nirvana. And while sometimes I wish I could go back in time to be there for monumental moments, like Woodstock or Jaded in Chicago, I wouldn't change it now. I feel like some of that desire, for me at least, goes back to finding GD during AI and being made to feel ashamed about it. I had people around me who tried to make me feel like I wasn't a "True fan" because I didn't really listen to them prior to AI. Now, I know that's bullshit. Who cares when you find the band? All that matters is that you dig their music and they make you feel good! 

Wow well said. I cannot say better honestly.

When people say to me '' You're not a true fan, I knew Green Day during the Dookie era '' Well I'm sorry for not being born during this time.

Find the bands of your (our) generation. They're out there and you can be at those pivotal moments. Bands like Slaves, Idles and Shame have grown over the last couple years and are now pretty established, and I've watched them grow from 100 capacity venues to playing venues like Alexandra Palace. I'd recommend Fontaine's D.C as one of those bands to get involved in before they get really big.

@Joe. I really like Slaves, also been enjoying the new Bad Religion album, give it a listen if you haven’t already.

5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Find the bands of your (our) generation. They're out there and you can be at those pivotal moments. Bands like Slaves, Idles and Shame have grown over the last couple years and are now pretty established, and I've watched them grow from 100 capacity venues to playing venues like Alexandra Palace. I'd recommend Fontaine's D.C as one of those bands to get involved in before they get really big.

This is very true. For me, those bands are Cage the Elephant and Night Riots. I've watch Cage the Elephant go from this obscure rock band to headlining festivals and it's awesome. It's so easy to get hung up on not being there for a band's big moment or being present when they were just exploding. That shouldn't matter. You have the band now. Find your own big moment with them! All that should matter now is you found the music and it makes you happy. Plus, you can revisit those big moments yourself thanks to all the filmed footage and what not! 

I really like Silversun Pickups and it's pretty cool to see how far they've come.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, brainstevv said:

bruh so I'm new to green day n shit but when I listen to them I FUCKING FEEL LIKE I BORN IN the WRONG GENERATION LIKE FUUUUCK THIS SHIT 

do y'all feel the same:(

Well I’m old so I sort of feel it was perfect. ;) The right generation is the one you were born it if you live it right. I used to feel that way about The Beatles, Stones, and The Who and then I discovered bands like Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Green Day, and now The Longshot are making songs that might as well have been made in the 50s and 60s. All good things to those who look. There is music for everyone.

Your comment recalls a funny Carlin bit:

Enjoy your life Generation Z! :)

On 6/5/2019 at 9:05 AM, LaughingClock said:

Well I’m old so I sort of feel it was perfect. ;) The right generation is the one you were born it if you live it right. I used to feel that way about The Beatles, Stones, and The Who and then I discovered bands like Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Green Day, and now The Longshot are making songs that might as well have been made in the 50s and 60s. All good things to those who look. There is music for everyone.

Your comment recalls a funny Carlin bit:

Enjoy your life Generation Z! :)

I'm all for embracing what comes your way in your generation but I feel like there was generations before that I feel much more in tune with. I haven't heard much new music that I'm willing to rally behind. Don't get me wrong there's some new stuff I definitely listen to but I'm just not that passionate about it. 

I'm in that weird spot where we grew up without and with internet. I'm a junior for the previous generation but a senior for the one that came after. I sit between two vastly different things.

From the mid 90's to mid 2000's I really embraced everything about living in that time but after 2005 I've never really felt the same. My early adolescent years saw the closure of historical punk venues and saw my hometown lose a lot of it's culture and subculture. I do embrace the opportunities I had to enjoy these places despite coming in at the tail end of it all. 

I don't want to be The Grouch and be unwilling to get with the times or say everything was a terrible time, I did get to experience a lot of cool and different eras. I may be envious of those who got to experience 70's punk culture but I do believe they should be envious that I got to see the Sega Genesis eventually evolve into the Dreamcast. Also, being able to take 1000 songs with you on the go at any given time is a cool thing too. 

Omg yea man. Our generation sux. I wish I was born in the nineties where so many punx bands where famous like greenday and blink-182. Now it's all these shit rappers and pop stars. It's not real music!!!! 

Ha! I was there for 70s punk but times were different and I had to disguise myself almost for work etc, no way I could have had my job and had died hair, piercings, tattoos etc.- remember the grass always seem greener.  I envy the freedom there is now, people (in the main) are far more accepting than they were back then  in reality.  Yes, a lot of the popular music is crap to me but at least we still have my favourite type of music about and it’s easily accessible.  

4 hours ago, jengd said:

Ha! I was there for 70s punk but times were different and I had to disguise myself almost for work etc, no way I could have had my job and had died hair, piercings, tattoos etc.- remember the grass always seem greener.  I envy the freedom there is now, people (in the main) are far more accepting than they were back then  in reality.  Yes, a lot of the popular music is crap to me but at least we still have my favourite type of music about and it’s easily accessible.  

It wouldn't have been an issue for me. I don't care for piercings or tattoos. I had scars and dyed hair but still you can always shave your head if you're a guy to handle that situation if a job opportunity came around.

I think the most stereotypical punk I ever looked was when I had a black mohawk for a couple months. I think when it came to fashion I was more anti-fashion which included not being a part of stereotypical punk fashion. If I had to sum it up I dressed more similarly to early 80's punk bands. 

Which city did you experience that in? The 70's scene I was referring to directly was the 70's punk scene in Toronto based around Horseshoe Tavern (Longshot played there just about a year or so ago) 

6 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Cringe  

Why?

4 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Which city did you experience that in? The 70's scene I was referring to directly was the 70's punk scene in Toronto based around Horseshoe Tavern (Longshot played there just about a year or so ago) 

Small Scottish one, so not a hot bed of culture 😂😂 Seriously, nobody would have employed you in many roles if you looked “different”.  Hell, I employed a girl with blue hair in the early 2000s and people asked me what I was doing.  Things are much more relaxed and I love it, it’s been quite a hard fight!

Archived