Billie Joe Armstrong to collaborate with Jesse Malin

WorryRock02

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome! I like watching Jesse Malin interviews he always has great stories from back when he was in punk bands 

he possesses a huge amount of knowledge of the NYC scene

Hm...would be nice to know if it's a guitar or vocal cameo by BJ.

Any preview would be nice too

Honestly Jesse Malin and the stuff they've done together before is kind of meh :P. But hopefully it's good!

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Honestly Jesse Malin and the stuff they've done together before is kind of meh :P. But hopefully it's good!

Fear not, my expectations are definitely managed but after the Morrissey collab it can only get better. At least it’s a new original song. 

Wow I really like this!  Did they write it together? It has a slight classic country rock vibe like The Byrds of The Eagles, very singalong.  Great song ❤️

I love this:

“A couple days later,” he continues, “Billie Joe sent me a text with the finished song. He kept a couple of the lines I had for the choruses, and wrote lyrics about the Bay Area scene through his eyes, a scene that was very parallel to my experiences in New York. Somehow, we all found each other, just being outcasts looking for real music and like-minded trouble.”

And of course he had the completed song a couple days later 😄

The sound also reminds me very much of Big Star who were a huge influence on The Replacements

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow I really like this!  Did they write it together? It has a slight classic country rock vibe like The Byrds of The Eagles, very singalong.  Great song ❤️

Yeah they wrote it togheter. As you can read on the Rolling Stone interview i posted upon, it started as a song for Rodeo Queens. But Malin's producer heard the song and thought it felt it really fit in with Sunset Kids. Malin already had the lines for a chorus. and a couple of days after meeting Billie Joe he sent to Jesse Malin a text with the finished song. 

"He kept a couple of the lines I had for the choruses, and wrote lyrics about the Bay Area scene through his eyes, a scene that was very parallel to my experiences in New York. Somehow, we all found each other, just being outcasts looking for real music and like-minded trouble.”

3 minutes ago, WorryRock02 said:

Yeah they wrote it togheter. As you can read on the Rolling Stone interview i posted upon, it started as a song for Rodeo Queens. But Malin's producer heard the song and thought it felt it really fit in with Sunset Kids. Malin already had the lines for a chorus. and a couple of days after meeting Billie Joe he sent to Jesse Malin a text with the finished song. 

Yeah we posted at the same time but I saw that thanks. Damn this song is catchy I keep playing it. I’m also hearing a Tom Petty sound. I wouldn’t mind at all if Billie went in a direction like this for a Green Day song or side project sometime. 

Really nice song! And, compared to other recent collaborations (ehm ehm), his (musical) presence makes much more sense here. 

Wow, I really liked it. It is upbeat and catchy. Good for him

Sounds very Allman Brothers

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah we posted at the same time but I saw that thanks. Damn this song is catchy I keep playing it. I’m also hearing a Tom Petty sound. I wouldn’t mind at all if Billie went in a direction like this for a Green Day song or side project sometime. 

Yeah I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff like this from BJ in some capacity or with Green Day. This kind of thing wouldn't sound out of place on a record like Warning and I think that would be a really cool scaled back direction for them to go in now. Probably wishful thinking though haha. 

Yeah I like this. It's like Warning and Trilogy had a baby. Would dig some of this from Green Day too.

I hope it comes out on Spotify soon. He has a page there but I don’t see it yet.

I quite like it up it’s kind of bland, very generic American soft rock to me.  Very Tom Petty which to me means it just flows along and doesn’t grab my attention at all.  Billie’s harmonies are the best thing about it, they raise it up a bit.

People have pointed this out already, but I'm certainly getting strong Tom Petty vibes here. Nothing special, but I would say it's an above average soft/pop rock song in my opinion, mostly because the production still gives it some life that other similar songs may not have.

36 minutes ago, Taste said:

Does Billie appear on the 2nd song? I might like it better

Do you mean this one? Looks like the b-side to the single it is also co-credited to Billie:

Archived