The Nimrods Podcast - new Green Day discussion podcast!

TheNimrodsPodcast

@TheNimrodsPodcast  Dudes, I just listened to episode one on Spotify and this was awesome. You guys are funny and very entertaining. I usually just get frustrated by rankings and analysis because I never agree with them but I thought your analysis of the first few songs was really insightful and accurate. I know I might disagree when you get to more Trilogy stuff but that’s okay, it’s still interesting stuff to discuss and think about. Your appreciation of Billie Joe’s songwriting skill is pure love.  Consider me a regular listener ❤️👏

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Vintage Disciple said:

@TheNimrodsPodcast Just listened to the first episode and really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to listening the the rest!  😊

I’m ashamed to say I binged the first three last night ☺️ 

• Like 1

Didn't occur to me to come back and say thanks guys, these are great!  So far only had time to  listen to two but thoroughly enjoying them. 

These are surprisingly really well done, like, I wasn't expecting a competent recording with nice microphones and an engineer! I had thought of doing a green day pod going through their discography, but i don't have the equipment or co-host to make it as nice as this. Also, One of My Lies over Stuck with Me is a crime. 💅 

I watched the first episode. Very good sound and microphone. You're pretty good.
Sometime I wish I was bilingual to enjoy it better.

7 minutes ago, chichi said:

Also, One of My Lies over Stuck with Me is a crime. 💅 

But I respect the fact that they made a good argument for it though. Some of these songs are difficult to compare but in the end going with the one that is played more often and considered more of a standout on the album it’s on is fair.  I know I won’t agree with every decision but I like the way they break the songs down and evaluate them. 

Whoa thank you all so much for giving it a listen and all the kind words!! Seriously means a lot! We do new episodes every Wednesday and you can hear us get progressively weirder haha. We do a lot of joking around about our list being "definitive" but honestly the most fun part is hearing from other GD fans about their takes on where songs should land. I can only imagine how hard it's going to be to rank songs once there's even more on the list haha. 

Thanks again!! 

• Like 1

Just now, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Whoa thank you all so much for giving it a listen and all the kind words!! Seriously means a lot! We do new episodes every Wednesday and you can hear us get progressively weirder haha. We do a lot of joking around about our list being "definitive" but honestly the most fun part is hearing from other GD fans about their takes on where songs should land. I can only imagine how hard it's going to be to rank songs once there's even more on the list haha. 

Thanks again!! 

I want to know what the first song will be that beats Good Riddance lol.  Also Billie’s weird old friends Mike and Tre will now be forever iconic to me. Keep up with the running jokes 😄

• Like 1

Yeah we definitely try to at least make a decent argument for our silly opinions lol. And we try to be honest about how a lot of our takes are tangled up in the sheer sentimental value we have for the records we listened to the most as kids haha. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention Less Than Jake's Anthem when talking about Cavallo. That was one of the best non-Green Day records he produced. 

13 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention Less Than Jake's Anthem when talking about Cavallo. That was one of the best non-Green Day records he produced. 

Good call! That album is rad, Cavallo's got the magic touch!

1 hour ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Good call! That album is rad, Cavallo's got the magic touch!

A lot of the mixers and engineers were a big part of his albums as well. You guys mentioned that Billie Joe put two amps together to get that unique guitar sound in your second episode. That was actually something that Jerry Finn showed him. Jerry Finn was notorious for blending two amps together to get that guitar sound that you hear on those early major label records. 

• Like 1

I'm bumping this to say I've just finished ep 2 of the podcast and I'm really enjoying it!! I love the discussions, some stuff has come up that I've never thought of before, like how the Words I Might Have Ate lyrics might be a homage to cheesy lyrics from the 60s. I feel like following along now and ranking the songs myself (even though yours of course is the definitive list.) Great job!!!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

I'm bumping this to say I've just finished ep 2 of the podcast and I'm really enjoying it!! I love the discussions, some stuff has come up that I've never thought of before, like how the Words I Might Have Ate lyrics might be a homage to cheesy lyrics from the 60s. I feel like following along now and ranking the songs myself (even though yours of course is the definitive list.) Great job!!!

Still listening and it’s still great. A similar point was made in this week’s episode about Disappearing Boy. It didn’t occur to me the lyrics could be more centered around how he felt as a young child at home when his mom had a new boyfriend rather than as a teen ignored by a girl he liked.  Just another interpretation of course but that had never occurred to me and it does make more sense in the song.  I love the analysis of the music and lyrics and so far can’t argue too much with the ranking either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

Hell yeah thanks for checking it out!! We'd love for people to follow along and share their own versions of the rankings as they grow! Always cool to see everyone's unique relationship with the band and which songs connect. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Hell yeah thanks for checking it out!! We'd love for people to follow along and share their own versions of the rankings as they grow! Always cool to see everyone's unique relationship with the band and which songs connect. 

Are you going to post the ranking as it stands so far somewhere soon and update it each week? Now that we are at about twenty songs it’s harder to keep track in my head. 

I agree with @pacejunkie punk. Create a quick free site to keep the updated rankings on. Heck! post the link to the episodes there too!

edit: I'm really enjoying the podcast as well. Great job, guys.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:03 PM, DadBod said:

I agree with @pacejunkie punk. Create a quick free site to keep the updated rankings on. Heck! post the link to the episodes there too!

edit: I'm really enjoying the podcast as well. Great job, guys.

Yeah for sure! We post it on our socials from time to time (@thenimrodspod on IG and Twitter) but definitely working on site to basically have everything in one place. 

10 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Yeah for sure! We post it on our socials from time to time (@thenimrodspod on IG and Twitter) but definitely working on site to basically have everything in one place. 

Where is it in your IG I’m not finding it there.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:36 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

Where is it in your IG I’m not finding it there.

Just posted the most recent version! We hide it behind a pic so it doesn't spoil anything for people catching up and because Green Day pics are rad haha. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Just posted the most recent version! We hide it behind a pic so it doesn't spoil anything for people catching up and because Green Day pics are rad haha. 

Perfect. And I commend you for your excellence choice of pic 😍

• Like 2

@TheNimrodsPodcast  —

Too Dumb to Die is better than Poprocks and Coke. Fight me. 

You have to allow for poetry and metaphor when analyzing his lyrics, particularly the later songs where he does it even more. I wouldn’t characterize them as bonkers or nonsense if they don’t have apparent meaning on the surface. I find a lot of his lines can reveal meaning to me only after many many listens. Too Dumb to Die is a great example. He’s basically comparing his life and the social issues that surround him with those of his father’s time. (Listen to The Monkees’ Shades of Grey for the same idea). Things seemed so clear then and he also wanted a cause to get behind but as he got older he realized all he got fed were lies and confusion yet he can’t stop looking for something to believe in.  Wrap that idea up in a catchy melody that moves and it’s one of my favorite songs from RevRad. I would have ranked it above Poprocks for sure. Damn I need my own podcast 😄

And if you’re wondering what Dominated Love Slave would sound like if Billie sang it, that’s basically Blood, Sex and Booze (less hokey but same subject). 🙂

• Like 3