The Nimrods Podcast - new Green Day discussion podcast!

TheNimrodsPodcast

Yeah that sound turned out pretty decent, glad we didn't skip haha. I like that "Ordinary World" theory!  I watched some interview with BJ and the director where BJ mentions trying to write songs for the movie specifically as that character and not as himself, so I guess that definitely explains why it doesn't really feel like a GD song, but maybe some of the sorta insubstantial vibe is purposeful too? Although if he was actively trying to write a sorta meh song for the sake of this meh character I wish he'd maybe not thrown it on a real life GD album haha. Especially since Forever Now feels like the actual finale of Rev Rad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Yeah that sound turned out pretty decent, glad we didn't skip haha. I like that "Ordinary World" theory!  I watched some interview with BJ and the director where BJ mentions trying to write songs for the movie specifically as that character and not as himself, so I guess that definitely explains why it doesn't really feel like a GD song, but maybe some of the sorta insubstantial vibe is purposeful too? Although if he was actively trying to write a sorta meh song for the sake of this meh character I wish he'd maybe not thrown it on a real life GD album haha. Especially since Forever Now feels like the actual finale of Rev Rad. 

Exactly I don’t think it should have been on a GD album. I fix that myself by turning off RevRad after Forever Now every time I listen to it. 

• Like 1

Forever Now is the finale and following it, Ordinary World feels like an afterthought. I'm fine with it though. It fits into that place with its topic so why not.

• Like 2

Been really enjoying listening to this podcast, but I gotta say I had to turn off episode 15 early. I just could not stand to hear East Jesus Nowhere get bashed. IMO that song is what modern Green Day should be, both lyrically and musically. It's not a top 10 or even top 20 song for me, but I remember it being the first song that actually got my attention during my first couple listens of 21st Century Breakdown. It's probably one of those songs that shows the generational divide between fans who got into the band because of Dookie and fans like me who got into Green Day in 2005 hearing American Idiot. It's actually something I've thought about a lot after listening to this podcast, that Dookie is probably only my 4th favorite album behind AI, Nimrod, and Insomniac, despite the fact that Dookie is so critically acclaimed and beloved. Anyways I'm done ranting keep up the good work on the pod guys. 👍

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chichi said:

It's probably one of those songs that shows the generational divide between fans who got into the band because of Dookie and fans like me who got into Green Day in 2005 hearing American Idiot. 

Very true! I'm really interested in the way those "fan generations" break down. Especially because almost every big turning point in the band's career where they gained a ton of new fans is also a point where they turned off some older fans too (signing to a major and releasing Dookie, "Good Riddance" blowing up, American Idiot evolving the sound/image/vibe...). But I also think it's really cool that they have all these different entry points and people connect to them for very different reasons. It's wild to think about how every GD album is someone's favorite GD album, and even every GD song is someone's favorite GD song.

Anyway, thanks for listening! I promise there's a lot of 21CB that we're more fond of haha. 

• Like 3

Enjoyed the latest podcast, didn’t sound too bad at all, glad you went ahead and did it.  Wow, this is getting so tough.  I love Jackass and you made me go and listen thoroughly to Android which I probably hadn’t in quite a while.  I think OW is not a bad song, but when the writer has already written Good Riddance, how do you compare the two?  It seems to me that no slow song Billie ever writes will hold up against Good Riddance.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jengd said:

Enjoyed the latest podcast, didn’t sound too bad at all, glad you went ahead and did it.  Wow, this is getting so tough.  I love Jackass and you made me go and listen thoroughly to Android which I probably hadn’t in quite a while.  I think OW is not a bad song, but when the writer has already written Good Riddance, how do you compare the two?  It seems to me that no slow song Billie ever writes will hold up against Good Riddance.  

Those are two extremes though and in between that spectrum you have When It’s Time, Macy’s Day Parade, Last Night On Earth, etc. A lot of other songs have come much closer in quality to GR. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Those are two extremes though and in between that spectrum you have When It’s Time, Macy’s Day Parade, Last Night On Earth, etc. A lot of other songs have come much closer in quality to GR. 

Oh yes, totally agree, maybe they just seem much more similar than say GR and Macy’s Day Parade.  Actually, just realised I don’t think of all those songs as being ballads at all, they may be a slower tempo but still rock. I know that sounds contradictory, it’s just how I group think of them.  This whole podcast set is really interesting and making me think about some songs that I suppose have just become part of my life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jengd said:

This whole podcast set is really interesting and making me think about some songs that I suppose have just become part of my life.

Yeah there's been a lot of songs that we've really looked at in a different way when we've dialed in on them for an episode. It's really exciting to find new things about songs that we've been listening to for ages, or even get a different appreciation for a newer song that hadn't clicked yet. "Good Riddance" definitely set the GD acoustic song bar insanely high though haha.

• Like 1

I'm killing myself going back and forth trying to decide which ones i like more than others, the fact that you are so confident in your first gut instincts is something i aspire to be lol

• Like 2

Are you honestly saying you like a stupid throwaway bonus track like Pop Rocks and Coke better than Forever Now?! Seriously?! And after all the praise you gave it? I don’t know dudes...

You did make me fall in love with Reject all over again though. I would have ranked it above Castaway and just below Minority. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Are you honestly saying you like a stupid throwaway bonus track like Pop Rocks and Coke better than Forever Now?! Seriously?! And after all the praise you gave it? I don’t know dudes...

You did make me fall in love with Reject all over again though. I would have ranked it above Castaway and just below Minority. 

Haha can probably chalk it up to Poprocks & Coke having 15 years of reps over Forever Now. 

13 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Are you honestly saying you like a stupid throwaway bonus track like Pop Rocks and Coke better than Forever Now?! Seriously?!

Poprocks and Coke is super simple but effective (a lot like Brain Stew). Very underrated, it's ranked pretty high on my list than most people would put it.

• Like 2

This is killing me!  Can't decide whether I am more unhappy with your rankings or my  own 😂 😂 Forever Now was so good live it made me think of Julie Roberts in Pretty Women when she said "that was so good I almost peed my pants"  😂 It's one of those songs for me that demonstrates how Billie says he often writes for live performances rather than recorded, this is good on the record and I agree that it would have been a great close with the reprise of Somehwere Now (I love it when Billie does that) but live it just takes off into another realm, and their passion playing it is awesome!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Only of You is one of their greatest early songs. It deserves to be ranked higher somewhere between Private Ale and One of My Lies. I don’t personally get your love for the song Dry Ice which isn’t bad but not nearly as catchy and memorable. 

• Like 2

Only Of You rocks.  As @pacejunkie punk has said on the random thoughts thread, you guys need to see the discussion over there about Drama Queen's lyrics.  I have just listened to it a couple of times and the sound is great, almost wish there was an alternative with different lyrics 😂 I really love Warning but it almost doesn't feel like a Green Day song to me so have no idea how I will rank it - right now I am putting that off!  Great podcast though, got me listening to different stuff again and paying attention to lyrics.

You absolutely need to give guests a chance to redeem a song even if you have two lists at the end, one as you two do it and one with the redemptions.  I love that idea.  You could call the highest place one Redemption Song 😉

• Like 2

GAH! I need to get caught up on episodes. Dang vacation and getting caught up at work has greatly cut into my "gd time"... I will say without listening to the Forever Now episode, that song deserves a higher ranking. You missed that one, boys.

• Like 1

Whoa "Only of You" is a big hit in these parts! Love it! 

Yeah I'll have to try and find that "Drama Queen" convo, those lyrics were tough for us haha. 

• Like 1

I love the point you make about Dookie being the last album Billie wrote from the perspective of a non-celebrity I never thought of that.

One comment about rhyming around with around — I think it’s wordplay and two different “arounds”.  Search the world around is the first meaning, but “when I come around” refers to waking up from being passed out. It hits on the loser/user way he describes himself and why she may have dumped him. Anyway I think you can rhyme them more easily when it’s two different meanings like that.

• Like 3

With Hearts Collide, I feel like that song is a little about Adrienne and also about love equality (LGTBQIA). I agree it's very "sugary", but as a love song, that's the point. It has amazing harmonies, something that's been absent from GD's recent releases and I wish they'd go back to doing the Billie/Mike harmonies.

Edit: I just listened to Hearts Collide, and i wish that billie had broken up that first verse, cuz my lord is goes on FOREVER. I wonder if he was trying to go for a Bob Dylan or The Who type song lyric-wise and just said "fuck it" after the first chorus and stopped.

• Like 4

When I Come Around is such a good song but I'm struggling to fit 20 or more songs into my top 10 slots 😂.  Hearts Collide is such a weird one, I have it on my gym list and every time it comes on I think, what on earth is that?  I almost think it feels too smooth to be GD so I get what you were saying about it being sugary but it's a good song.  The list of "songs I'm not able to rate yet" is growing, there's a cop out if ever there was.  I agree with @DadBod though, I like the harmonies, it sounds almost suave!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jengd said:

When I Come Around is such a good song but I'm struggling to fit 20 or more songs into my top 10 slots 😂.  Hearts Collide is such a weird one, I have it on my gym list and every time it comes on I think, what on earth is that?  I almost think it feels to smooth to be GD so I get what you were saying about it being sugary but it's a good song.  The list of "songs I'm not able to rate yet" is growing, there's a cop out if ever there was.  I agree with @DadBod though, I like the harmonies, it sounds almost suave!

I just added Hearts Collide to my running jams playlist. Thanks for mentioning that. I'm always looking for new tunes to run to at the gym.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

You guys going to have a special episode when the single eventually drops to discuss it or nah?

Oh yeah 100%! I don't think we'd rank it yet but we'd definitely do an episode to discuss our initial thoughts. We're ready!! 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed another episode and so agree with what you said about how Billie writes some really deep and/or dark lyrics but you wouldn’t know from the music, or however you put it.  I think you maybe also helped me work out what’s wrong with the Trilogy, from my point of view anyway.  When I listen to many of the songs, I think “that’s a good song” but something didn’t work particularly well, maybe it is too clean, just the wrong production for them.

• Like 1