The Nimrods Podcast - new Green Day discussion podcast!

TheNimrodsPodcast

26 minutes ago, DadBod said:

THIS!

The ways he is using phrases to make his point in this song is great! I was driving to my parents house (a 2.5 hr drive) one weekend and this song came on and, I don't know why this happened at that point, but the lyrics FINALLY made made since to me. It was a literal epiphany.

"All I got was Santa claus..." = All I got was make believe, and it follows the verse about his childhood/growing up - which makes since because kids and santa

"All I got was camouflage" = All I got was a mirage. As an adult, you probably don't believe in santa anymore, so to repeat "all I got was santa claus" after verses where he is clearly thinking as an adult, would be silly because you evolve/grow up and your personal beliefs change as well - hence, "all i got was camouflage"

❤️❤️❤️ His lyrics are so much more than they appear on the surface. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@TheNimrodsPodcast  —

Too Dumb to Die is better than Poprocks and Coke. Fight me. 

You have to allow for poetry and metaphor when analyzing his lyrics, particularly the later songs where he does it even more. I wouldn’t characterize them as bonkers or nonsense if they don’t have apparent meaning on the surface. I find a lot of his lines can reveal meaning to me only after many many listens. Too Dumb to Die is a great example. He’s basically comparing his life and the social issues that surround him with those of his father’s time. (Listen to The Monkees’ Shades of Grey for the same idea). Things seemed so clear then and he also wanted a cause to get behind but as he got older he realized all he got fed were lies and confusion yet he can’t stop looking for something to believe in.  Wrap that idea up in a catchy melody that moves and it’s one of my favorite songs from RevRad. I would have ranked it above Poprocks for sure. Damn I need my own podcast 😄

And if you’re wondering what Dominated Love Slave would sound like if Billie sang it, that’s basically Blood, Sex and Booze (less hokey but same subject). 🙂

Fair enough! We definitely dig Too Dumb To Die a lot (it actually keeps coming up on later episodes as a great newer song) but Poprocks and Coke just has a slight edge in the sentimental value department! But at least we're honest about our "definitive" takes being influenced by arbitrary sentimental value hahaha.

• Like 2

I have got behind but just listened to the one with Disappearing Boy, Minority and Still Breathing.  You are so wrong about some of this stuff, there just aren't word :D but this is exactly why I never get into compiling my own lists of favourite GD albums or songs, it makes me crazy and I change my mind every five minutes.  Good listen though.  You can't always be right 😉

• Like 2

I listen to the podcast on my way to and from work and I've just started ep 6 with Disappearing Boy. There haven't been any so far where I've been like "hell no that's so wrong" but we're very early on in the list :D

• Like 2

Hahaha thanks for listening!! With 200+ songs to go I'm confident we'll find a way to be wrong many more times 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, DadBod said:

THIS!

The ways he is using phrases to make his point in this song is great! I was driving to my parents house (a 2.5 hr drive) one weekend and this song came on and, I don't know why this happened at that point, but the lyrics FINALLY made made since to me. It was a literal epiphany.

"All I got was Santa claus..." = All I got was make believe, and it follows the verse about his childhood/growing up - which makes since because kids and santa

"All I got was camouflage" = All I got was a mirage. As an adult, you probably don't believe in santa anymore, so to repeat "all I got was santa claus" after verses where he is clearly thinking as an adult, would be silly because you evolve/grow up and your personal beliefs change as well - hence, "all i got was camouflage"

It's cool to see people's interpretations of the songs. This often gives the song more meaning. Too Dumb To Die is definitely an open ended lyrical journey. For me I interpret this a little different. 

For me "All I got was camoflauge" sings to me as if someone is looking to critically analyze a political situation but there's no one else around willing to actually explain anything or admit anything. They throw you a camo suit and send you to war to defend something that's a load of shit. Even though it's a load of shit they don't want us questioning it or making any sense of it. 

The santa claus part also fits into this cause it's just a tale to feed children's curiosity. 

19 hours ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Fair enough! We definitely dig Too Dumb To Die a lot (it actually keeps coming up on later episodes as a great newer song) but Poprocks and Coke just has a slight edge in the sentimental value department! But at least we're honest about our "definitive" takes being influenced by arbitrary sentimental value hahaha.

I think it's a tough comparison. Poprocks and Coke is a very isolated track for the band. There's not really any other songs like it and it's not part of an entire theme or full album. It also displays a step into another direction for the band. You can see where they wanted to head after Warning and it almost gives us a little taste into where they were heading going into the C&V sessions. 

Too Dumb To Die definitely rocks but it's in a group with a lot of songs that also rock. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey do you guys have a place like a public doc or something where you keep the list? I've watched every episode but I think it would be cool if I could watch the list as it updates.

46 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Hey do you guys have a place like a public doc or something where you keep the list? I've watched every episode but I think it would be cool if I could watch the list as it updates.

It’s on their instagram

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s on their instagram

Can you link it I'm having a hard time finding it actually, not their insta but the actual list lol

Edited by Redundantuserjinxboy

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Can you link it I'm having a hard time finding it actually, not their insta but the actual list lol

It’s in the most recent post, you just have to swipe through the pics. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Hell yeah, thanks for listening to every episode! But yeah we're putting the updated list on Instagram with every new episode, we're just hiding it behind a few other photos so there's no spoilers if anyone is catching up haha. 

https://www.instagram.com/thenimrodspod/

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TheNimrodsPodcast , when speaking of Brain Stew/Jaded and wondering what their influence might have been for hooking songs together like this, The Beatles did that starting with Sgt. Pepper/With A Little Help From My Friends and then quite a lot on Abbey Road.

And the line you like, “Hooray we’re gonna die” to me seems like a reference to Country Joe and the Fish’s “Fixing to Die Rag” where they sing “Whoopee we’re all gonna die!” 

I find a lot of Billie’s lyrics turn out to be references and callbacks to earlier songs I just don’t always discover the reference until later. He references The Replacements a lot for example (“Mr. Whirly” from Misery, “count the rings/circles around my eyes” from Stay the Night are both from Replacements lyrics)

• Like 1

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the pod, its great to have something dedicated to my favorite band to listen to. I am two episodes behind at the moment so haven't read any of the above posts cos I don't want it spoiling. 

One suggestion I have is that it would be great to hear you guy's thoughts on any topical Green Day news, like all the new album speculation and all that. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

@TheNimrodsPodcast , when speaking of Brain Stew/Jaded and wondering what their influence might have been for hooking songs together like this, The Beatles did that starting with Sgt. Pepper/With A Little Help From My Friends and then quite a lot on Abbey Road.

And the line you like, “Hooray we’re gonna die” to me seems like a reference to Country Joe and the Fish’s “Fixing to Die Rag” where they sing “Whoopee we’re all gonna die!” 

I find a lot of Billie’s lyrics turn out to be references and callbacks to earlier songs I just don’t always discover the reference until later. He references The Replacements a lot for example (“Mr. Whirly” from Misery, “count the rings/circles around my eyes” from Stay the Night are both from Replacements lyrics)

Could be! Tracks flowing from one to another seems to be something they really put a lot of thought into, which I love. I'm really curious about everyone involved decided to put Brain Stew and Jaded together specifically for radio. Crazy to think back on a time when a punk band was on the radio and had so much pull that they could do something like that! 

On 6/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, Ross_19 said:

Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the pod, its great to have something dedicated to my favorite band to listen to. I am two episodes behind at the moment so haven't read any of the above posts cos I don't want it spoiling. 

One suggestion I have is that it would be great to hear you guy's thoughts on any topical Green Day news, like all the new album speculation and all that. 

Thanks so much!! That's a good idea, we're both pretty "wait and see" about new album stuff, but we definitely want to try and do some "current" stuff as the new record starts rolling out. On the stuff we recorded last night we actually talked a bit about what we hope the new stuff might leans towards, so be on the look out for that. Thanks again for listening!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!! I love podcasts so yay!

Hmm... Episodes 1 and 2 aren't appearing on my feed... Is that normal? I'm gonna listen to those on the website.

• Like 1

Really enjoying these but got behind.  I will attempt to compile my list but it’s so difficult.

How could you split up Brain Stew and Jaded though - sacrilege!  😂. I would say the rule is, if your brain slips a notch when the paired song doesn’t come on, then you can split them but really, who feels all is well in the world if Jaded doesn’t follow Brain Stew!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tubbie Head said:

Awesome!! I love podcasts so yay!

Hmm... Episodes 1 and 2 aren't appearing on my feed... Is that normal? I'm gonna listen to those on the website.

Eek yeah that's wonky, thanks for the heads up! Those first two should be showing up on itunes/spotify again soon, but they're back on our Buzzsprout site in the meantime. http://thenimrodspodcast.buzzsprout.com/

38 minutes ago, jengd said:

Really enjoying these but got behind.  I will attempt to compile my list but it’s so difficult.

How could you split up Brain Stew and Jaded though - sacrilege!  😂. I would say the rule is, if your brain slips a notch when the paired song doesn’t come on, then you can split them but really, who feels all is well in the world if Jaded doesn’t follow Brain Stew!

Hahaha it wasn't an easy choice but at the end of the day every song has to get ranked on its own accord! Totally agree though, doesn't feel right to hear Brain Stew without Jaded! 

• Like 2

Dirty Rotten Bastards that low? It's one of the best songs from the trilogy and modern green day. It's nonsense yes, but it's fun as hell. And honestly wouldn't you rather have a song that makes no sense than a song that does make sense but also makes you cringe? I rest my case.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Dirty Rotten Bastards that low? It's one of the best songs from the trilogy and modern green day. It's nonsense yes, but it's fun as hell. And honestly wouldn't you rather have a song that makes no sense than a song that does make sense but also makes you cringe? I rest my case.

That was the first song where I really disagreed with the ranking 😂 I love DRB, it’s a Trilogy highlight for me so was sad to see it ranked so low 😢

• Like 2

I have a feeling I’m gonna be pretty unhappy with how most of the Trilogy songs fall 😢

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 1:44 AM, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

I wouldn't say it's nonsensical. It has trilogy lyrics, but it's possible to follow what he's saying.

21 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

That was the first song where I really disagreed with the ranking 😂 I love DRB, it’s a Trilogy highlight for me so was sad to see it ranked so low 😢

Haha yeah we knew this would be a controversial episode 🤭

21 hours ago, DadBod said:

I'm really interested to see what you guys say about Peacemaker and Restless Heart Syndrome when they make their appearances. Great podcast so far. I'm with @pacejunkie punk and @DeJennsitized on the trilogy songs.

I can't wait to get to more 21CB songs, I've been revisiting it a lot lately and definitely have a lot of thoughts! 

• Like 2