The Nimrods Podcast - new Green Day discussion podcast!

TheNimrodsPodcast

Just finished listening to episode 13. OMG, SHE!!!!!!!!! Hands down my favorite Dookie track. I always turn it up when it comes on. Agree with you that it's a perfect song. He hit on everything with the lyrics, melody, harmonies. Just perfect.

• Like 2

Just now, DadBod said:

Just finished listening to episode 13. OMG, SHE!!!!!!!!! Hands down my favorite Dookie track. I always turn it up when it comes on. Agree with you that it's a perfect song. He hit on everything with the lyrics, melody, harmonies. Just perfect.

Agreed. Also unfortunately have to agree with their breakdown of Troubled Times. What a contrast. Green Day are at their best when the lyrics are dark but the music is fast and fun. 

• Like 2

I would have put it number 1. It's better sonically. It incapsulates that "Green Day" sound that you mentioned for Scattered. Longview broke them into the mainstream (as did When I Come Around & Basket Case), but if you're talking about what makes "their sound", She is it. Fast, dark and happy (that such an oxymoron).

• Like 3

I am still behind listening but started my own list, so hard to do and I don’t  have to agree with anyone!  Spent so long going back and fore between tracks trying to decide which I liked best, exhausting 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DadBod said:

I would have put it number 1. It's better sonically. It incapsulates that "Green Day" sound that you mentioned for Scattered. Longview broke them into the mainstream (as did When I Come Around & Basket Case), but if you're talking about what makes "their sound", She is it. Fast, dark and happy (that such an oxymoron).

Yeah such a tough one! Fast, dark, and happy is actually really on point, they really managed to find the perfect balance of pep and teeth on that one. 

4 hours ago, jengd said:

I am still behind listening but started my own list, so hard to do and I don’t  have to agree with anyone!  Spent so long going back and fore between tracks trying to decide which I liked best, exhausting 😂😂

Haha yeah it's hard to use some kind of consistent criteria and take context into account when at the end of the day it all just comes down to how much you like a song! Show us that list when you're ready 😉

I love that the episodes are getting longer 👍 I look forward to this every week.

I have to take issue with your analysis of 16 though. It’s much deeper and more mature than you give it credit for. Billie wrote it when he was sixteen, just six years after his father passed away and his anxiety and panic disorders began. He’s writing about mortality as only a young person who has experienced this can.  Many of his early songs are full of references to aging, death and the fear and worry over it all (when he’s not crushing on girls like a typical teenager). This song is the best example of that.  

As for Scumbag, it’s one of my favorites on Shenanigans I love all the songs that Mike writes I think he’s an underrated lyricist too. I love clever lyrics and the ending of every verse with Scumbag on a mission, with a vision, with ambition, with permission, etc. is really clever and makes me happy.  Billie can repeat lyrics a lot but I like how Mike changes it up.

And I think most people agree that Dos should have been a Hot Tubs record. It was even described that way by Billie during promotion. Kills me that they didn’t do it. Uno would have done well by itself, Dos should have been a side project release and Tre a collection of outtakes.  It would have all been better received imo.  I agree with what you said about The Longshot. Whether it was Billie’s own idea or a band decision, they did learn their lesson this time.

• Like 2

Haha yeah this episode really had some tangents...

Totally, the early early stuff reckons with mortality in a way that's definitely pretty unique for a really young kid, and I love the way that kind of thing mixes with puppy love. Still some lyrics that really crack me up though haha. 

Yeah that's a great "what if..." version of the Trilogy. I feel like I remember Uno being relatively well liked and well reviewed out of the gate, I wonder how that album would have aged if the other albums had come out different rather than being part of this big thing? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Totally, the early early stuff reckons with mortality in a way that's definitely pretty unique for a really young kid, and I love the way that kind of thing mixes with puppy love. Still some lyrics that really crack me up though haha. 

You can't go through something that traumatic and not have it effect you for the rest of your life. That podcast he did back in nov/dec (linked below) he talks about "waiting for the foot to drop" when Dookie took off, because he experienced that before.

That podcast, @TheNimrodsPodcast, goes deeper into his creative process. It's very interesting. 

Link: https://www.beyondandbackpodcast.com/episodes/2018/12/8/10-smash-everything-with-billie-joe-armstrong

I'm still working on episode 14. Darn coworkers are getting in the way of my listening. Stupid work...

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Definitely gonna give this a listen! Get your co-workers into the podcast too lol. 

Ha... um... yeah that would be interesting. Most are country music lovers. I'm the odd ball of the 8 of us.

Edit: Some of them have said to me "should I be worried? This is really dark stuff."  My response: "nope. I perfectly happy. I just like dark music."

East Jesus Nowhere is my favorite you have to fight me :P There's nothing about it that isn't absolutely badass. The music, lyrics... it's an absolute banger.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Haha we had a feeling it would be a controversial episode ;)

I agree it’s long and not the catchiest (I was gonna mention the SNL appearance if you didn’t!) but it rocks and it’s kind of satirical and that makes it fun.  It took me a few listens to first appreciate and it’s still not my favorite on 21CB but I think it deserves a slightly higher ranking, imho.

• Like 2

Really love this podcast! Keep up the good work, guys! Where do I find the updated ranking-list of the songs as it progresses?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Hell yeah thanks so much for listening, everyone!! 

@pacejunkie punk yeah that SNL bit is hilarious, I love that Billie's being such a good sport haha. 

He’s a big Will Ferrell fan, he quotes his movies all the time

• Like 2

I just listened and got a couple of comments. First off,  I am sure that it was Billie and Tre who went to a "baby thing" which everyone assumed was a baptism/christening and then wrote East Jesus Nowhere.

What I thought quite interesting though was that I ranked the songs before listening and I put Don't Leave Me under Poprocks and Coke when you put it above, and I put East Jesus Nowhere (which I love by the way, awesome lyrics 😬) above Dirty Rotten Bastards which you put it below.  The point is that our lists are not even close yet we all placed those songs close to each other! I'm glad I did rank them first, you totally put me of EJN!  Ranking these songs is so hard it's doing my head in!  You absolutely need to a podcast about their last songs on albums as I just love some of them, I think (in the main) they do brilliant closers.

Also, if anyone wants the whole thing, Tre talking about All By Myself was the Wrigley Field interview which is hilarious.

• Like 2

I was thinking about their closing tracks and how to me they are often my least favorite songs on the albums.  I always thought Good Riddance made a better closer than Prosthetic Head which took me a while to appreciate but bored me at first. After that you have...

Macy’s Day Parade (one of the better closers)

Whatsername (also very good)

See the Light (here’s where it starts to go downhill for me. Like with Nimrod it should have ended with American Eulogy)

Oh Love (ending on the first single is odd and it wasn’t even the best song on the album)

Amy (I like this one but that’s an unpopular opinion I know)

The Forgotten (as in “better off...” Ugh)

Ordinary World (I turn off the album after Forever Now. Most boring closer ever and depressing)

• Like 1

I think Macy’s Day Parade, Whatsername (which will be very high up my list), See The Light, The Forgotten and Ordinary World are all great album closers.  Oh Love still has me confused about what I feel for it and, as I’m sure you’re sick of hearing from me, Amy is dreadful, worst song B J has ever written. I agree about Prosthetic Head.

i also agree with the Nimrods reDominated Love Slave, can it really be meant to be where it is in the running order?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jengd said:

What I thought quite interesting though was that I ranked the songs before listening and I put Don't Leave Me under Poprocks and Coke when you put it above, and I put East Jesus Nowhere (which I love by the way, awesome lyrics 😬) above Dirty Rotten Bastards which you put it below.  The point is that our lists are not even close yet we all placed those songs close to each other! I'm glad I did rank them first, you totally put me of EJN!  Ranking these songs is so hard it's doing my head in!  You absolutely need to a podcast about their last songs on albums as I just love some of them, I think (in the main) they do brilliant closers.

Ooo I like that you're doing your ranking before listening to the episode--no accidental contamination from our takes, very scientific. Respect! 

very scientific. 

Ha, this made me laugh out loud as I am so unscientific about it.  I usually won’t even try and rank the albums as I will change my mind in an hour or two and every time I open my spreadsheet with the list so far, I spend a few minutes moving stuff around! 

• Like 1

The sound wasn’t bad I’d much rather you record by phone than skip a week. I really look forward to this every week 🙏

You should see the Ordinary World movie though you might not like it. It’s a pretty basic, simple storyline cute but not as interesting as it could have been. I think Billie is good in it though considering he had to carry the whole plot. 

I don’t know if I’m just being overly generous because it’s not like the bulk of the lyrics on RevRad are much better but I wonder if he wrote OW to be deliberately mediocre like the kind of song his character (who was not a super talented musician) would write. It works in the movie but he should never have put it on a GD album and promoted it as hard as he did. As late as Sept 2017 he was on the Tonight Show singing it and I thought why is he still pushing this song? It just doesn’t merit all the attention it got. 

• Like 1