Dookie Demo Master Tape Has Surfaced

danarchy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting! @Todd would probably be the best source of insight here. 

Dammit, I was hoping to keep it low before it ended so the price stays low

3 hours ago, danarchy said:

Just came across this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-DAY-Dookie-USA-1993-DEMO-MASTER-TAPE-IN-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/273831674802?hash=item3fc1a3c3b2%3Ag%3AQGcAAOSw8xxczDqJ&LH_Auction=1

Could it truly be a different mix? Also does the sellers info match up about the different record label?

It’s not a record label but a recording studio Dookie was recorded at Fantasy but they did do some re-recording for some tracks at a different studio (I’m sure @Todd remembers which studio was used as I don’t remember) 

We already have these tracks, they're from the Dookie demo session- but this is going to be much better quality than we have. This was on ebay a couple months ago but the seller took it down :) (if you guys want to hear these songs, don't compete with me haha)

Already $129...

Also, I don't get the people who are bidding to stay ahead. "Oh no, the other one bid again, I HAVE TO BID AGAIN TO HAVE THE HIGHEST BIDDING!!1!"...what does it matter? In the end the very last bidding counts. I always bid the amount I want to spend for the item within the last 15 seconds (when I'm awake) and it works like a charm, and is the only logical way

Todd be safe in knowing I'm not bidding on this, I just wanted to know if it was real or not. Hope you get it man

On 5/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, Todd said:

We already have these tracks, they're from the Dookie demo session- but this is going to be much better quality than we have. This was on ebay a couple months ago but the seller took it down :) (if you guys want to hear these songs, don't compete with me haha)

Do you have the equipment to transfer it? or are you going to send it off to someone (maybe Shayne?)

I won the auction :D After reading the description of the tape (which I didn’t do until the last minute of bidding) I’m not too sure what’s gonna be on here. Kevin Army had me convinced this was the master for the 4-song demo they did at dancing dog, but now it looks like it could just be a different mix of Dookie. We’ll find out soon I suppose! 

6 hours ago, Todd said:

I won the auction :D After reading the description of the tape (which I didn’t do until the last minute of bidding) I’m not too sure what’s gonna be on here. Kevin Army had me convinced this was the master for the 4-song demo they did at dancing dog, but now it looks like it could just be a different mix of Dookie. We’ll find out soon I suppose! 

Can't wait!

On 5/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Todd said:

Brilliant todd. Looking forward to hearing what's on this 

17 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Waiting for this!!!!!! :D

Me too. Tape should be arriving first or second week of June

Dude you should set a gofundme so we can pitch because thats a crazy amount youre payong. Plus that oreo cand a coke tape you bought as well

5 hours ago, nopride84 said:

Dude you should set a gofundme so we can pitch because thats a crazy amount youre payong. Plus that oreo cand a coke tape you bought as well

I don't like to ask for money, but if you want to chip in, I'd be happy to share my paypal address over PM :) 

On 5/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, Todd said:

Me too. Tape should be arriving first or second week of June

Damn, where the hell is it shipping from?

1 minute ago, 80 Androids said:

Damn, where the hell is it shipping from?

Overseas :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is! :D 

The tracklist of the demo is as follows:
01 - When I Come Around
02 - Basket Case
03 - Longview
04 - Burnout
05 - Haushinka
06 - J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva)
07 - Having a Blast
08 - Monk's Keys

MP3 and FLAC downloads can be found here
Enjoy!

• Todd changed the title to Dookie Demo Master Tape Has Surfaced

Thank you so much even on YouTube this sounds great! I’ve heard other demos but I’m not familiar enough to know if this is anything we haven’t heard before. Are they newly discovered? 

Love the slower early Longview. Monk’s Key is an awesome bit of heavy metal, really fun. Love the laugh at the end of JAR. It’s all great 👍 

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thank you so much even on YouTube this sounds great! I’ve heard other demos but I’m not familiar enough to know if this is anything we haven’t heard before. Are they newly discovered? 

Love the slower early Longview. Monk’s Key is an awesome bit of heavy metal, really fun. Love the laugh at the end of JAR. It’s all great 👍 

These have all been online for many years, but from a very generated tape and from a file with a very low bitrate. This is a huge upgrade having them professionally transfered to lossless straight from the master!

37 minutes ago, Todd said:

These have all been online for many years, but from a very generated tape and from a file with a very low bitrate. This is a huge upgrade having them professionally transfered to lossless straight from the master!

You're a fucking god Todd, thanks a ton and hope that ~$280 didn't burn a huge hole in your pocket.

For archival purposes

Orginial Ebay listing

G4ErU13.jpg

DESCRIPTION: ORIGINAL USA 1993 DEMO MASTER COPY CASSETTE TAPE.

PURCHASED THIS AROUND 4 YEARS AGO FROM A EX RECORD REP WHO WAS SELLING OFF SOME OF HIS ITEMS.

I'VE PLAYED THE CASSETTE AND ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MIX TO THE ORIGINAL RELEASE IN 1994.

ALL THE TRACKS ARE THE SAME BUT IN A DIFFERENT ORDER TO THE ACTUAL FULL ALBUM.

B-SIDE OF THE CASSETTE PLAYS SOME SORT OF COUNTRY MUSIC.

INFORMATION IS VERY VAGUE BUT I DO KNOW GREEN DAY DID HAVE SOME CONNECTION WITH DANCING DOG RECORDING STUDIOS BACK IN THE EARLY 90s.

THE FINAL MIX WAS DONE AT FANTASY STUDIOS.

THE CONDITION OF THE CASSETTE IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION AND PLAYS PERFECTLY.

I'LL START AT A LOW PRICE AS LIKE I SAID INFO IS VAGUE SO IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE SHARE AND I'LL ADD IT TO THE LISTING.

Archived