Dookie Demo Master Tape Has Surfaced

danarchy

@Todd these are great, thank you so much for sharing, the quality is amazing.  I’m with @pacejunkie punk re the laugh in JAR but I also really Haushinka and this is so much slower to begin.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Todd thank you, dude! much appreciated. if you want to and theres any way we can contribute sending you some money, at least to payoff the money you put into that auction, i'd be willing to help!

again, thank you so much!

4 hours ago, Wamasa said:

@Todd thank you, dude! much appreciated. if you want to and theres any way we can contribute sending you some money, at least to payoff the money you put into that auction, i'd be willing to help!

again, thank you so much!

That’s very kind of you! My venmo is @todd409 

Absolutely brilliant and top notch sound quality! Massive thanks for that! I have to say, considering what I've heard over the years, these do seem like quite well-progressed demos, as they already appear correctly panned, mostly cleanly recorded and also mixed and mastered quite similarly to the final tracks (at least in the case of the Dookie songs). Interestingly, the bass in WICA actually appears slightly more pronounced than in the original, probably due to a slightly brighter tone.

as a broke MF who appreciates the efforts and funding that goes into copping these wonderful gems that are shared with us, THANK YOU. the upgrade sounds amazing.

someday i hope to buy you a beverage of your choice.

6 minutes ago, dallasthemenace said:

as a broke MF who appreciates the efforts and funding that goes into copping these wonderful gems that are shared with us, THANK YOU. the upgrade sounds amazing.

someday i hope to buy you a beverage of your choice.

Much appreciated! I'm a broke MF too. I'd love to drink with you :lol: 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, Todd said:

Here it is! :D 

The tracklist of the demo is as follows:
01 - When I Come Around
02 - Basket Case
03 - Longview
04 - Burnout
05 - Haushinka
06 - J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva)
07 - Having a Blast
08 - Monk's Keys

MP3 and FLAC downloads can be found here
Enjoy!

Thank you so much man this is great! If I recall correctly, the instrumental "metal" track used to be called Rox Yer Ass, so why is it now labelled as Monk's Keys? Does it even have an official name?

2 hours ago, Master Roshi said:

Thank you so much man this is great! If I recall correctly, the instrumental "metal" track used to be called Rox Yer Ass, so why is it now labelled as Monk's Keys? Does it even have an official name?

Good question! Ben Mattick, who was Green Day's tour manager for Dookie, answered a lot of questions about this demo session for me, since he was present for the recording. He said the real name of the song was Monk's Keys, and it was co-written with the band Sleep. That's why I've been referring to it as such! I think it's a much better title than "Rox Yer Ass", it feels a lot more like a Green Day title. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much, Todd. It's a bless to have kind people like you around. As well as being Green Day lovers, of course. Grazie di cuore.

• 4 months later...

When I purchased my Dookie demo cassette tape back in May, I was very confused by what I found. It seemed like side A and side B had the exact same tracks, only in a different order. But then I realized the songs on side B were slightly different from the songs on side A. I decided to release the 7 songs on side A, along with “Monk’s Keys” from side B (the only major difference between the two sides is Monk’s Keys was on side B but not side A), since they matched what we already had before in worse quality, and hold onto the other 7 songs until I could figure out exactly what they were. Well, now I’ve figured it out.

The songs I initially surfaced back in June (the main 7 songs not including “Monk’s Keys”) were recorded at Art of Ears in spring of 1993. My tape is NOT the master of these songs, but it is most likely a first-generation copy.  These are the songs that are on side A of my tape. The songs that I am surfacing now (plus Monk’s Keys), from side B of the tape, most likely have the same basic tracks as the Art of Ears songs, but were overdubbed, partially re-recorded, and remixed at Dancing Dog. This tape IS the master for these 8 songs. So without further ado, here are 7 more Dookie demos. 

You can download them here

2 hours ago, Todd said:

When I purchased my Dookie demo cassette tape back in May, I was very confused by what I found. It seemed like side A and side B had the exact same tracks, only in a different order. But then I realized the songs on side B were slightly different from the songs on side A. I decided to release the 7 songs on side A, along with “Monk’s Keys” from side B (the only major difference between the two sides is Monk’s Keys was on side B but not side A), since they matched what we already had before in worse quality, and hold onto the other 7 songs until I could figure out exactly what they were. Well, now I’ve figured it out.

The songs I initially surfaced back in June (the main 7 songs not including “Monk’s Keys”) were recorded at Art of Ears in spring of 1993. My tape is NOT the master of these songs, but it is most likely a first-generation copy.  These are the songs that are on side A of my tape. The songs that I am surfacing now (plus Monk’s Keys), from side B of the tape, most likely have the same basic tracks as the Art of Ears songs, but were overdubbed, partially re-recorded, and remixed at Dancing Dog. This tape IS the master for these 8 songs. So without further ado, here are 7 more Dookie demos. 

This is awesome, thanks a lot!

2 hours ago, Todd said:

Hell yeah dude

On 11/14/2019 at 3:00 PM, Todd said:

So beautiful recordings, they sound so awesome!!

On 11/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, Todd said:

GRMA! I mean TY, I mean, thank you! The wee differences are very interesting and GREAT audio quality even on me shitty computer speakers! ❤️ 

10 hours ago, stefand11 said:

jeez doesnt haushinka sound good.... and the lyrics ❤️

It really does! 

You're a top bloke, Todd

Not sure if anyones mentioned but you can hear a bit of Walking Contradiction during Haushinka

Edit: Yep, someone beat me to it

Haushinka would've sounded great on Kerplunk 

Archived