Do Da Da (voc. up)

Mega Man

Here's a Green Day mystery that I've been trying to solve. Do Da Da first appeared on the single for Brain Stew / Jaded in 1996. I've noticed my copy is a variant that specifies it as the "voc. up" version First off, there's about a three second difference to consider, but that's just studio silence (you can hear some noises from Mike's bass, but that's it). Other than that, I've compared it side-by-side to the Shenanigans version and can say they are definitively the same mix. The only differences to account for are that it is mastered louder and at a slightly slower speed.

Call me ignorant, but I'm not even too clear on what a voc up mix is. I mean, it's not uncommon to see that label, and I just assume it's meant that the vocals are higher in the mix, but I've never seen it explicitly laid out. Anyways, I used to have the brain-shaped CD version (which would be the non-voc up version one would think), so I'll compare the file to that one as well.

Unfortunately, this version is identical to the aforementioned voc. up version, and it just seems to be a difference in name only. Very, very marginal difference in the silence at the beginning, but 100% interchangeable otherwise. My only conclusion is that this label seems to only be for internal use and it refers to a version that we never heard. Somewhere out there is the non-remixed version of Do Da Da...

Very interesting! I love reading about these different mixes that you keep finding. I'm not very good at hearing out the differences, so these have gone mostly unnoticed by me over the years

Thanks, I might as well elaborate a little bit more on why I thought this might be something.

Here's the original and revised sleeves:
R-573526-1433815716-1173.jpeg.jpgR-12477851-1536076600-9482.jpeg.jpg
You can see where the labels were changed by the label for whatever reason. The change from "Clean Radio Edit" to "Clean Radio Edit Faded Ending" also seems a bit arbitrary. But the need for an additional classification for the "voc. up" version made me hopeful it was a different mix. There has been a few instances of releases with the same catalog number having significant changes (I have the "mistake" version of Jesus of Suburbia), but this is not one of them.

This isn't the most in-depth comparison, but hopefully can better help you visualize the differences between each of the three versions:
2wcgqcl.png

Its  same mix the shenanigans is just edited out the stuff in the intro. The vocal up is like an unfinished mix like the 409 in your coffeemaker (unmixed)  on basket case singles. Do da da thevocal is more up front in the mix with the music lower in the left and the right on the single and the shenanigans cd compare to the mixes of the other bsides or insomniac .its got a lower kinda muffled sound compared.

17 hours ago, Mega Man said:

Thanks, I might as well elaborate a little bit more on why I thought this might be something.

Here's the original and revised sleeves:
R-573526-1433815716-1173.jpeg.jpgR-12477851-1536076600-9482.jpeg.jpg
You can see where the labels were changed by the label for whatever reason. The change from "Clean Radio Edit" to "Clean Radio Edit Faded Ending" also seems a bit arbitrary. But the need for an additional classification for the "voc. up" version made me hopeful it was a different mix. There has been a few instances of releases with the same catalog number having significant changes (I have the "mistake" version of Jesus of Suburbia), but this is not one of them.

This isn't the most in-depth comparison, but hopefully can better help you visualize the differences between each of the three versions:
2wcgqcl.png

Can I have the mp3, I want to look into it deeper.

Archived