Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
maryjanewhatsername

Rest in Peace, Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley

maryjanewhatsername

Today in 1994 and 2002, we lost Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley. So, in their honor, let's talk about them for a bit.

Kurt Donald Cobain; 20 February 1967 - 05 April 1994

41qiZ+MjLrL.jpg

Kurt-Cobain.jpg

Kurt is best known for his work in Nirvana and his tragic death in 1994, ruled a suicide. I have always loved his music, his influence, and his personality. Kurt was a hurt, depressed individual but he also had an amazing sense of humor. (below is a clip of Kurt Cobain making fun of Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd during the MTV Unplugged concert)

Kurt, I hope you rest easy. You were my first love; you are my hero; and most importantly, you were a genuinely amazing person. I wish there was more that could have been done for you - I wish there was a happier ending to your story. But, I'm so glad the world was blessed with your presence while you were here and that we still can enjoy your hauntingly beautiful music to this day. You and your music are 99% of the reason I survived suicide attempts, depression, and an abusive childhood - because you showed me that ending your life does not eliminate the chance of life getting better - it only takes your heartache and puts it onto someone else. I love you, and rest easy. ❤️

Layne Thomas Staley; 22 August 1967 - 05 April 2002

IBSC7cMxQ40.jpg?ava=1

paste_1439181207.png?itok=bTbdkNoc

Layne is known as the front-man for Alice in Chains with incredible vocal talent, and an insatiable appetite for drugs. At first, I was hesitant to listen to Layne because my abusive father liked Alice in Chains. Once I gave it a chance, I never regretted it - Layne's vocal range, energy, and humor made him an amazing performer and a great person. (included in a silly interview of Layne talking about his most humiliating moment)

Layne, I'm so sorry that you were left to die alone. I'm so sorry (and so incredibly angry) that it took your own mother 2 fucking weeks to check on you and finding your body had decomposed to be part of the couch. I'm so sorry you lost your fiance to drugs, and then you OD'ed as well. Your humor, your passion for music, and your way of making everyone else's day brighter were some of the most amazing things about you. Your energy inspires me, and makes me want to bring joy to the planet the way you did. I'm glad you were around when you were. I love you, Layne ❤️ My fiance and I plan on naming our first son after you ❤️

Please take a little time to honor Kurt and Layne today ❤️ 

• Like 1

WhiteTim

I think it’s unfair to be angry at Layne’s mother or anyone for that matter when Lanye was the one who shut everybody off  from him and wanted to be in exile 

• Like 1

Hermione

Yeah you really can't judge a family you don't know like that, it's perfectly reasonable that a family member might not have contact with an adult man in his 30s for that amount of time.

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
12 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

I think it’s unfair to be angry at Layne’s mother or anyone for that matter when Lanye was the one who shut everybody off  from him and wanted to be in exile 

12 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah you really can't judge a family you don't know like that, it's perfectly reasonable that a family member might not have contact with an adult man in his 30s for that amount of time.

This is true. I just can't imagine letting someone that sick push me away - I wouldn't want them to end up the way Layne did. And I'm used to mothers being like mine, I guess - clingy and check up on me frequently. 

• Like 1