How much of working hours?

Savannah89

I had a conversation today about how much bands work at concerts.

One of my co workers said that most of the bands just work 2-3 hours and get a lot of money. This conversation turns in an argument.

I had to think about GD and came to the conclusion that it's more than a few hours.

If they start soundcheck in the morning, they probably have to get up early and soundcheck needs a few hours, right? In addition to this the concert lasts between two and three hours, not to mention interviews.

So if we add everything it's all about 7 to 8 hours a day, right?

Anybody of you knows if they play all songs at their soundcheck or just a few? 

It’s not a 9-5 job and the hours vary depending on whether they are touring or promoting or recording, etc so it’s really hard to judge. On tour soundcheck is done in the mid to late afternoon, not morning. They might check anywhere from 2-4 or 5 songs at most.  They might also practice or rehearse before or between shows a bit.  Some days there are press junkets earlier in the day or on days off between shows. Then of course there’s the 2-3 hours of the show on those nights. Every day is different but it adds up to a good amount of time each day and don’t forget the many hours spent on travel which is part of the job.  Hours in an aiport or on a bus is for work too. 

It’s always funny to me the people that say bands only work the 2-3 hours each day they put on a show, overlooking all the work that goes into producing a show and the time that takes.  Who do they think wrote the songs, arranged them, recorded them, and what about the hours of rehearsal required for new and old material? And touring is mostly travel and is exhausting.  And many bands then do a dozen other projects besides. Don’t get me started. 😂

And not to mention that gd also do a lot of adittional stuff. 

If I remember correct, I once heard Billie saying that they also chose the merch or something.

13 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It must be so exhausting go to work once in a couple years.

Yeah because inbetween they do nothing right? No writing, recording, practicing, side projects, one off tours, merch projects, press, TV appearances or any of that nonsense 😂

If you see how much Billie is losing weight during a tour, you see that it's hard work.

Physically and mentally. I also doubt he's getting much sleep after a show.

5 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

If you see how much Billie is losing weight during a tour, you see that it's hard work.

Physically and mentally. I also doubt he's getting much sleep after a show.

Yes, and it has been said he was writing the whole time during the Rev Rad tour.   It seems his mind is always working at least.

Plus they may be doing some press during the day before or after the show so there's that to take into account too.

I think a lot of the time, Billie overworks himself. Just look at the trilogy. He needed a break after that. Also, with 21CB, I could tell that even though it was 5 years after AI, that album had so much work put into it. They said during an interview that they started work on the album is January of 06, and that was after touring for American Idiot as well so they were really busy during this time too

People look at celebrity's lives and just think "Oh they have it so easy". Not necessarily. You can have all the fame and money in the world and still be depressed or engage in harmful activity.

I think it's pretty obvious they work hard. But so do lots of people who don't also get to do their dream job, have millions of dollars, never have to worry about money again and can choose not to work whenever they want. So on balance they have things pretty good :P. Doesn't take away from the fact that they do work hard at what they do and everything they've achieved (and I feel no saltiness towards them if that's what it sounds like :lol:but you can't really compare it to average people working without also taking the amount of privileges they enjoy into account.

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah because inbetween they do nothing right? No writing, recording, practicing, side projects, one off tours, merch projects, press, TV appearances or any of that nonsense 😂

So much worse than working 17 hour shifts 5 days a week in an Amazon warehouse. :P

26 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

So much worse than working 17 hour shifts 5 days a week in an Amazon warehouse. :P

Does every discussion have to be a class struggle comrade? 😜

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Does every discussion have to be a class struggle comrade? 😜

да

5 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It must be so exhausting to go to work once in a couple years.

Billie Joe is a lazy bastard 

With anyone doing anything creative, they're usually paid in proportion to how rare of an ability/opportunity they have, instead of the typical 9 - 5 worker structure - by the hour. You also have to take into account all of the unpaid work the artist has done to get themselves to the point of that 3 hour concert because that's essentially what they're being paid for. They're paid to sell tickets, not necessarily to play shows. The thousands of shows Green Day played before Dookie came out? They're now being paid for that. Not accepting cheesy Disney-esque offers in the 90's? They're now being paid for that. Most artists never come close to having Green Day's level of success, so they're paid in proportion to that. The 9 - 5 worker mentality has been ingrained in us since school, so it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around the pay structure for artists.

What gets overlooked most is how unhealthy the entertainment industry actually is. Of course being stuck in a call centre or stock room is that unhealthy too, but there are equally exhausting things celebrities face that we don't. Like, there are constant invasions of privacy, pressure to be perfect (in looks, relationships, speech, etc), harassment, controlling management... it's easy to brush the personal cost of all that off with "lol you're rich, deal with it," because obviously financial stability makes life easier. I'm sure some celebrities have it better than others, too. But since it's impossible to tell or imagine how fame affects them as a non-famous stranger, I try not to assume they're grossly overpaid or have easy lives. There are valid reasons fame pushes some people over the edge. I wouldn't want to be famous.

Oh yeah there's definitely extra downsides that fame and the entertainment industry brings. Strictly on working hours though there's a reason why millionaire rockstars complaining about having to do interviews or get up early or turning up late for shows etc annoys people :P (although GD don't do that). I think GD work extremely hard as artists and in all aspects of their job and can be applauded for that, but just the fact that they work for a decent amount of hours and hard sometimes like everyone else isn't really the part of it that's impressive.

Write songs/go on tour/photocopy setlist - seems pretty easy - jk they work fucking hard.

Plus we all forget that they spent a lot of time on tour and away from their families.

This is time you can never catch up.

Your kids learn to walk and speak just once in a lifetime and I bet that's something Billie and the boys used to regret.  Not being around for their kids often when they were really young.

He just said: "Once he got 4 (Joey), he remembers everything. One thing is me not being around, so that's really scary."

It all has it's price.

Archived