Green Day releasing first book: Last of the American Girls

Otis Big

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Weird that there would be a book about this song of all songs. It wasn't a hit (it was the 5th single of 21CB that was basically ignored), it's not really a fan favourite, they never play it live and it's not even one of their more interesting songs lyrically or musically imo

I sort of see it, because each line paints a picture that can be imagined visually and illustrated. But it is a bit random.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

I thought he meant the Bob Gruen book but if it's this, he'll have to do a dramatic reading on skype

Oh he totally does 

• Like 1

Here’s part of what Brit showed last year (I remember another illustration of the girl on a bike). Looks like the cover has changed dramatically. I liked the old striped paint version this new one with the X makes it look more like a Confederate flag on a quick glance but maybe that’s just me. At least the took off “Billy” and credited Green Day instead.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone on GDC is really overthinking it or getting wound up, though. We're just saying the description is bad, because it is. :P And that's a shame because if it's just illustrated lyrics it's obviously harmless, but people who won't look into it like we will are getting the wrong idea.

edit: Hermione got there first but yeah.

• Like 4

I was so excited about Green Day releasing something I didn't really stop to think about the implications of the description and yeah, it sounds bad. It sounds exactly like mansplaining as others have mentioned. When you describe it as a handbook for rebellious girls and have no women working on it whatsoever, it looks really dubious. It really sounds like whoever does their PR wanted to be cute, but ended up sounding ignorant in the process. Still, I was interested to see exactly what it was since the description didn't even do a decent job at that. If it's a picture book to go along with lyrics of a subpar song, eh kind of boring. 

Though I am relieved to see it's just a bad description and the book is not what the description makes it sound like. 

• Like 3

I don't really see the point with this book but I'm glad its content isn't as bad as the description would have you believe. 

27 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

It's times like this where you have to remember, someone came up with this idea and everyone said yes.

think about how many times this could be said throughout history!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they really wanted to have a cartoonist work with their lyrics I'd hope for them to just fully embrace irony and make a Picture Book of Warning.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

If they really wanted to have a cartoonist work with their lyrics I'd hope for them to just fully embrace irony and make a Picture Book of Warning.

How about Fuck Time? 😂

Okay everybody, what GD song would you most want to see illustrated like a kids book?

3 minutes ago, EmmaCharlatan&Saints said:

I'd rather new music than whatever the hell this is

Why not both? 🙂

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Why not both? 🙂

Because this seems completely and utterly pointless. I mean the song barely registered when it come out...10 freaking years ago. I mean it seems like a weak attempt to jump on the current women taking a stand for themselves train. Or as people have said faux wokeness. As I said give me new music over this tripe anyday

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

How about Fuck Time? 😂

Okay everybody, what GD song would you most want to see illustrated like a kids book?

Why not both? 🙂

Probably a funny one like King For A Day

Yeah, I'm cool with this. I think it's good they did this with an less known song, it's a nice change that something that's not from American Idiot or Dookie is getting attention.

• Like 3

I like the song but it’s a weird choice. If I were to choose a song to illustrate I’d probably pick 21CB itself, or maybe Still Breathing, or The Grouch :lol: 

I love last of the American Girls. The book sounds like a tribute to women I'm excited and the cartoonist worked with Bruce Springsteen cabt  get better than that 😊 

• Like 1

Maybe it's (the song) written for Britt/with her in mind/she provided inspiration, so it's more her behind the project. 

I don't know why I've thought this in the past, and then when she showed that clip last year, I was like 'oh yeah, this fits my random theory'... That's as far as it goes though 😂

If that theory falls flat on its arse, then I'm with the stupid t-shirt and LOTAG book just being money spinners whilst we wait for Mickey to get old enough to let the boys out to play again! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

Maybe it's (the song) written for Britt/with her in mind/she provided inspiration, so it's more her behind the project. 

Billie wrote the song about Adrienne (at the beginning of it). The rest of it is about how he, Billie, lives (or lived at the time, cuz people change over 10 years) his life.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I don't think anyone thinks the lyrics or the lyrics illustrated are offensive haha, it was just that awful description of it being a book that's a handbook for true rebel girls that made it sound terrible/cringy lol. Glad to see it's not that.

5 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

I don't think anyone on GDC is really overthinking it or getting wound up, though. We're just saying the description is bad, because it is. :P And that's a shame because if it's just illustrated lyrics it's obviously harmless, but people who won't look into it like we will are getting the wrong idea.

It wasn't just the description, though — it was also already pointed out that the girl on the cover is blonde, white and pretty though, like it was a problem and against what the song describes, which is just difficult for me to wrap my head around (I see these sort of comments all the time on advertisements that feature women on social media, too). 

Like, I get that it's toxic for society to communicate that you can only be pretty if you're blonde and white, but I don't think making the cover girl blonde and white in it itself is problematic. Maybe they could've included multiple, diverse women on the cover? I don't know the answer. I guess sometimes I just feel like I'm a bad feminist... :confused:

I always saw LOTAG as a commentary on the stereotypical "strong American woman" and also just a love song for Adrienne. I'm more puzzled as to why they're making a book about a unpopular song written 10 years ago. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

It wasn't just the description, though — it was also already pointed out that the girl on the cover is blonde, white and pretty though, like it was a problem and against what the song describes, which is just difficult for me to wrap my head around (I see these sort of comments all the time on advertisements that feature women on social media, too). 

Like, I get that it's toxic for society to communicate that you can only be pretty if you're blonde and white, but I don't think making the cover girl blonde and white in it itself is problematic. Maybe they could've included multiple, diverse women on the cover? I don't know the answer. I guess sometimes I just feel like I'm a bad feminist... :confused:

It's feeding into the idea that the ideal, "normal" image of a women is blonde, white, and pretty (especially when coupled with that awful description, lol.) It's part of a wider problem with the portrayal of women in the media in general. And part of tackling this is using diversity when you can, but if no one bothers then it goes unchallenged. 

• Like 1

I  think maybe  the cover could be inspired by Mikes wife and or daughter 

• Like 2