Green Day releasing first book: Last of the American Girls

Otis Big

24 minutes ago, papa said:

the whole damn thing should just be pulled. it's stupid. it's offensive. it's dumb. the end.

It's not though that's the thing :lol:. It's the lyrics of Last of the American Girls with illustrations. They just fucked up the description of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

It's not though that's the thing :lol:. It's the lyrics of Last of the American Girls with illustrations. They just fucked up the description of it.

oh i'm very aware of the situation and i still think it's dumb. 

1 hour ago, papa said:

oh i'm very aware of the situation and i still think it's dumb. 

Fair enough! I'll wait until I see the whole book

Oh my god, how long will it take them to react to this. :S This entire controversy was completely preventable but when it happened, it could be easily smoothed by having someone from the band repost the preview with a less shitty description and maybe doing a press release on it. Easy peasy lemon  squeezy when your publicist has two functioning brain cells.

• Like 4

If nothing else you would think their new manager would be on the ball and be working some PR damage control even if the band are too busy to pay any attention to it.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's not like their management doesn't have access to their accounts. A "band member" can repost it and explain without being bothered. It's not really the band's fault but their management's. I'm surprised the new one is no better at this than the old was.

Green Days management is really getting on my nerves lol. This whole thing was so easy  to prevent or fix and yet they don't do shit.  

17 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oh my god, how long will it take them to react to this. :S This entire controversy was completely preventable but when it happened, it could be easily smoothed by having someone from the band repost the preview with a less shitty description and maybe doing a press release on it. Easy peasy lemon  squeezy when your publicist has two functioning brain cells.

At this point my guess is that they’re going with the route of “ignore it and it will just blow over”. Maybe that’s the way to go. I don’t know enough about publicity. But if they were going to put out a statement I think that window has passed and I do think it’s starting to blow over. Remember, only 15% of the population uses Twitter. And it didn’t trend on there. So it’s a pretty small blowback in the scheme of things.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, neverdone2000 said:

At this point my guess is that they’re going with the route of “ignore it and it will just blow over”. Maybe that’s the way to go. I don’t know enough about publicity. But if they were going to put out a statement I think that window has passed and I do think it’s starting to blow over. Remember, only 15% of the population uses Twitter. And it didn’t trend on there. So it’s a pretty small blowback in the scheme of things.

Yeah, I guess it will. They're not getting that much bad press about it except for those articles and they're not really that big for it to blow up so maybe not attracting more attention to it is a valid decision. We'll see what happens when the book comes out. They'd better change the way they promote it or it might come back to bite them in the ass.

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

They'd better change the way they promote it or it might come back to bite them in the ass.

Oh absolutely. If they don’t learn from this they deserve anything coming to them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Oh absolutely. If they don’t learn from this they deserve anything coming to them. 

I don't wish them public backlash, but yes, if they don't learn from this mistake it's inevitable.

That description is almost as cringy and offensive as people using the word mansplaining.

• Like 1

That's a really good article. Thanks so much for posting it!

On the topic of this book, I'm not sure why the decision was made to do Last of the American Girls either. Such a "meh" song to choose.

I would love to see what they could've done with Dominated Love Slave or All By Myself. :lol:

• Haha 4

I think LOTAG was chosen because the fEmiNiSt topic is currently a part of the zeitgeist. And why not use it - I'm glad they chose something else than one of the big hits. It's good to see a less known song get attention.

On another note omg imagine how cool would be an illustrated version of Forever Now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

On another note omg imagine how cool would be an illustrated version of Forever Now.

Id buy that book in a heart beat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Y’know I almost bought the whole “No women worked on it, so it’ll be a total pile of shit” spiel, but then I remembered that Adrienne would beat Billie over the head with the book if anything remotely idiotic was in it.

Exactly. Keep in mind it was Brit who first posted the proof book. They signed off. 

• Like 4