Green Day releasing first book: Last of the American Girls

Otis Big

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/green-day-book-last-of-the-american-girls-frank-caruso-816305/amp/

Green Day have collectively co-authored a book titled Last of the American Girls. The full-color text, illustrated by cartoonist Frank Caruso, will be released on October 29th via Dey Street Books.

Named after the song “Last of the American Girls” off 21st Century Breakdown, the book is described as “an inspiring homage and handbook for the rebellious everywoman who refuses to capitulate” 

060419_LOTAG_COVER_.jpg

• Like 2

Was pretty excited when I heard about this today! Can't wait to see exactly what the book is.

5 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

Being fake woke is Billie’s forte 

Like I don't want to "judge a book by its cover" but the cover is a pretty girl being a "rebel" by wearing boots with her dress and pouting..............😬

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Like I don't want to "judge a book by its cover" but the cover is a pretty girl being a "rebel" by wearing boots with her dress and pouting..............😬

Yeah....I was excited at first but then I read the description 😬 and of course it’s a pretty white blonde on the cover... bet you a tenner there’s a romance with a white man mentioned in the pages too! 

1 hour ago, DeJennsitized said:

Yeah....I was excited at first but then I read the description 😬 and of course it’s a pretty white blonde on the cover... bet you a tenner there’s a romance with a white man mentioned in the pages too! 

Yeah. Like if they'd done a book speaking to men, maybe focusing on how to be a decent man who respects women (which also could've had art/writing that celebrates women) that would be really cool. But I can't think of many things less appealing than some men telling me how to be a "rebellious everywoman" lmao

• Like 3

I would have more faith in this if someone else wrote it. To tell the truth, I don't trust them with anything that's not music. :P

Also yeah, it's just so cringey, fake woke and 2004.

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah. Like if they'd done a book speaking to men, maybe focusing on how to be a decent man who respects women (which also could've had art/writing that celebrates women) that would be really cool. But I can't think of many things less appealing than some men telling me how to be a "rebellious everywoman" lmao

Exactly. It's mansplaining taken to another level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, I'm assuming the book is just the song line by line with Frank illustrating it. But using the term Handbook is very off-putting

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I would have more faith in this if someone else wrote it. To tell the truth, I don't trust them with anything that's not music. :P

Also yeah, it's just so cringey, fake woke and 2004.

Exactly. It's mansplaining taken to another level.

I'm sure they could've just asked SWMRS and they would've told them it's a no no. I can only hope the "handbook" part is mostly just a terribly written description and it's not really trying to be that.

1 minute ago, DeJennsitized said:

To be fair, I'm assuming the book is just the song line by line with Frank illustrating it. But using the term Handbook is very off-putting

Do you think? I thought it would be more than that from the description. Hopefully it is indeed just a bad description and you're right.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

I'm sure they could've just asked SWMRS and they would've told them it's a no no. I can only hope the "handbook" part is mostly just a terribly written description and it's not really trying to be that.

Yeah it's just such a bad idea.

I thought this was okay if someone made a comic book based on their song but the description makes it look...bad. We can only hope it's not as bad as it sounds, but I'm losing hope in this band.

I guess it probably won't really be as bad as telling women how to be. But still reading the description and looking at the cover I feel like whatever their depiction of a "rebellious everywoman" or "true rebel girl" is is going to make me cringe :lol: 

• Haha 1

“It’s sort of about an empowering, sort of subterranean kind of lifestyle, but at the same time there’s a new era coming in with the way we all need to live.”

:unsure: 

I have no idea what to expect from this from Billie's comment or from the description in the article :lol: But I also don't think they would write any kind of handbook telling anyone how to be or what to do, or at least I would hope so.

• Like 1

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Please restrain me from reading it. I don't want to get disappointed but I know I will

I'm sure we'll get the highlights from someone who does buy it

• Sad 1

If it's cartoons (I know there are a number of meanings of cartoons) is it not meant to be funny? Guess we will have to wait and see but I can't see them writing a handbook telling anyone how to live their lives.

• Like 1

Weird that there would be a book about this song of all songs. It wasn't a hit (it was the 5th single of 21CB that was basically ignored), it's not really a fan favourite, they never play it live and it's not even one of their more interesting songs lyrically or musically imo

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

I'm sure we'll get the highlights from someone who does buy it

Liam u fuck he bought it so we're all going to suffer :lol:

2 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Based on the Amazon reviews of a book the artist did with Bruce Springsteen, it sounds like it’s just going to be an illustration of the song, to go along with the lyrics... 

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Pete-Bruce-Springsteen/dp/1501103857

That's seems ok though.

47 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

“Celebrating true rebel girls—girls who push back, girls who use their voice, girls who say no—Last of the American Girls takes on both the establishment and the upwardly mobile, espousing an infectious spirit that has never been more relevant.”

Oh my god, I didn't even see that. Fucking hell.

16 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Liam u fuck he bought it so we're all going to suffer :lol:

I thought he meant the Bob Gruen book but if it's this, he'll have to do a dramatic reading on skype

• Haha 3