Green Day releasing first book: Last of the American Girls

Otis Big

Them: We're putting out a book

Me: No thanks

Them: It will have the words "Green" and "Day" associated with it

Me: *Pre-orders book on Amazon immediately*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They do say that any publicity is good publicity but from what I know of the band I’m hoping for a witty interpretation of a song I love a lot.  Am really short of time so can’t quote everyone but I hope it’s right that the handbook thing was just RS’s take on it, and yes, if they got this wrong I think Adie, Brit and Sara would be giving them hell.  I remember Brit posting about it and at the time we all thought it looked cool and seemed to be partly inspired by Ryan, picture wise.

29 minutes ago, jengd said:

They do say that any publicity is good publicity but from what I know of the band I’m hoping for a witty interpretation of a song I love a lot.  Am really short of time so can’t quote everyone but I hope it’s right that the handbook thing was just RS’s take on it, and yes, if they got this wrong I think Adie, Brit and Sara would be giving them hell.  I remember Brit posting about it and at the time we all thought it looked cool and seemed to be partly inspired by Ryan, picture wise.

I think it's pretty much 100% certainly not a handbook, it's just the lyrics with illustrations I believe

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Daddy. said:

Had a e-mail today saying this has been delayed until 15 October 2020. 🤨

Too much negative feedback I wonder? Maybe they don’t want it to derail all the promotion they have planned for this album and tour. 

Amazon just has it listed as unavailable now with no release information so I cancelled my pre-order. It will be interesting to see if the book undergoes any big changes or if it gets pulled altogether now. New management must be on top of things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Too late to pull it now when no one cares anymore. Damage is done. Might have as well released it. It's such a minor thing that I doubt it would really interfere with anything or would get noticed.

17 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Too late to pull it now when no one cares anymore. Damage is done. Might have as well released it. It's such a minor thing that I doubt it would really interfere with anything or would get noticed.

Idk I don’t think there was much “damage done” at the time because it was just the initial mention of the book during a quiet period for the band and no one was paying attention to them then.  But it was a barometer for what the response (and reviews) might say once the book was released. So to release anything that you know got some minor bad press already during a time when you are hyping a band’s new album and tour (and the band are doing interviews) would be risky.  Maybe it gave them a rethink. 

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Idk I don’t think there was much “damage done” at the time because it was just the initial mention of the book during a quiet period for the band and no one was paying attention to them then.  But it was a barometer for what the response (and reviews) might say once the book was released. So to release anything that you know got some minor bad press already during a time when you are hyping a band’s new album and tour (and the band are doing interviews) would be risky.  Maybe it gave them a rethink. 

Well, yeah that makes sense. I assumed this was about it with the damage, because I don't think there'd be any more drama around it when the book comes out and turns out to be just illustrated lyrics, which seems unproblematic, but it's true that once there was some bad press it's likely there'll be more even if it was just "here's the green day feminist handbook" in headlines.

• Like 1

I'm torn on whether I should get the book. The concept itself sounds...eh. Pictures to go along to lyrics of a Green Day song I don't like. BUT - I want it for my collection lol. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. 

58 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I'm torn on whether I should get the book. The concept itself sounds...eh. Pictures to go along to lyrics of a Green Day song I don't like. BUT - I want it for my collection lol. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. 

You have a long time to decide now

• Sad 1

I hope this doesn't mean the album release has also been delayed by a year

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying that the release date has been postponed to December 2nd. Let's see if this thing will ever see the light of day😄

• Sad 2

Again? :( I forgot about it but I still keep it on my mind because I already bought it :mellow: Is there a special reason why this gets delayed so much? This book intrigues me and I don't want it to end up as a forgotten project...

• Like 1

The first time it was announced, some marketing genius came up with an offensive description of the book. So maybe it was hindered as damage control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thatsername said:

I just got an e-mail from Amazon saying that the release date has been postponed to December 2nd. Let's see if this thing will ever see the light of day😄

It's going to coincide with the 21st Century Breakdown.   Which won't come out until American Idiot the Film comes out.    Lol 

• Haha 3

The book is just weird. It's nothing but illustrations set for lyrics to a weak Green Day song. Eh.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, kaylubd said:

The book is just weird. It's nothing but illustrations set for lyrics to a weak Green Day song. Eh.

Yeah, I'd prefer it if it came with a digital copy of an elaborate 4 hours stage play based on the song.   

• 6 months later...
15 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Sorry to bump this but is this actually coming out November 17th ? 

It doesn’t even come up on Amazon anymore I think it’s shelved

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It doesn’t even come up on Amazon anymore I think it’s shelved

it does come up on german amazon. release date is still nov. 17th. but it also says that "the estimated delivery date is unknown". 

Edited by monkeyupinspace