Verycool99

Next Album Anticipation Thread

greendepent

If this means a new album with a producer, is not really new. Almost all GD albums sound different from each other. If the band is looking for a refreshing sound, no one can blame them.

I don't get my hopes up until a confirmation, but new music is always welcome

Alf
2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

We still don’t have any real confirmation he’s even producing for them 

I know I know “but the keyboard” yes tons of artists have that same keyboard Kanye uses that same keyboard

Don't think it's the same keyboard, it is similar but if you compare them both, they have differences

• Like 1

Joe.

Think the issue with Still Breathing was the song tbh

• Haha 2

Beerjeezus

If Still Breathing had a poppier sound it would have become an exact copy of Could Have Been Me so thank god it's how it is :P

DookieLukie
2 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but we have to be realistic. The chances that Green Day are going to have a mainstream hit are almost 0 no matter what it sounds like. It’s impossible for a young well-known rock band to crossover these days, much less an older one. Surely they know this and are not trying for a top 100 billboard hit at this stage. Because the top 100 absolutely sucks and is impenetrable if you’re not pop, hip hop, or R&B. Let’s just hope they’re aiming to make really good music.

Yeah it's crazy how you can have a #1 rock track and it doesn't even crack the Hot 100, even when it's far more popular than some stuff at the end of that list. It really seems stacked against rock because it only takes some radio stations into account. 

• Like 3

jengd

True.  And has anyone else noticed that more and more, you know a rock band has a new album out but radio stations are still playing old stuff rather than new singles?  Is that poor promoting or what? Staying safe ‘cos they know the old one was a hit?  

• Like 4

neverdone2000
13 minutes ago, jengd said:

True.  And has anyone else noticed that more and more, you know a rock band has a new album out but radio stations are still playing old stuff rather than new singles?  Is that poor promoting or what? Staying safe ‘cos they know the old one was a hit?  

Yes! Is there a single “alternative” or rock radio station out there that doesn’t play 90% oldies? 

• Like 4

Matt.
4 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Yes! Is there a single “alternative” or rock radio station out there that doesn’t play 90% oldies? 

That’s what their ad-targeted audience wants. Radio is a hard thing right now. The only source of income are advertisements and your music needs to cater towards the audiences potential advertisers want to target.

Unfortunately, in my area, that means playing top 40, country, or classic rock.

Adorkable

I have news. The Insider is away for a month, more to follow when she returns.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

DookieLukie

Basically all rock stations in my area play the same songs daily from 90s artists. On the bright side, this has led to to listen to hip-hop and rap radio more, and I've grown to like a lot of new artists.

8 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

I have news. The Insider is away for a month, more to follow when she returns.

Why was I so sure the Insider was a guy?

And good, a time frame helps because I can't check this thread daily until the Fall like I have been lol.

MillenniumFan

Wooah, how did I only now catch on to this? Very interesting! The bad news for me is, the only band I can even remotely tolerate in Butch's catalogue, is "The Struts" and in my opinion, they went even more poppy on the specific album he produced, compared to their rather good first release. Dear oh dear... I really hope they know what they're doing haha. In some ways I think they know exactly what they're doing, in some ways I don't at all lol. 

• Like 2

Beerjeezus

They better not fuck this one up :happy:

• Haha 1

pacejunkie punk
20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

They better not fuck this one up :happy:

Imagines the freak out fest among the fandom when they announced they were recording a rock opera 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

pacejunkie punk

The whole theme of the Beyond and Back podcast that Billie did last year was about success lying in the places where you step out of your comfort zone and dare to create something new.  If that’s where his head was at at the time, I can only imagine he was planning on implementing those ideas for the current project.  

• Like 3

DookieLukie
51 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The whole theme of the Beyond and Back podcast that Billie did last year was about success lying in the places where you step out of your comfort zone and dare to create something new.  If that’s where his head was at at the time, I can only imagine he was planning on implementing those ideas for the current project.  

That's what they've been saying for years but rarely do. 

Scumbag On A Mission
1 hour ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

There's really no way to know if an artist truly actually is sacrificing creative freedom for a place on the charts. Artists are constantly changing and some are genuinely excited by new sounds. One could argue that when an artist makes music based on what fans consider "being true to themselves" they're actually not being true to themselves, they're being true to their fans. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that shouldn't be confused with an artist staying true to themselves.

I wouldn’t say that all bands who experiment with new sounds are motivated by a desire to top the charts. However, I do believe that’s the case with many of the bands who’ve worked with Green Day’s new (speculated) producer, Fall Out Boy being a prime example. It seems to me that they (FOB) prioritize chart success over the innovation and overall quality of their work. Their desire to appeal to the mainstream is evident not only in their music, but in the way they present and market themselves. I was speaking specifically to the artists who have worked with the producer that Green Day have recently taken on, and I don’t believe that’s the case with every band looking to experiment. Besides, Green Day have made adjustments to their sound in the past and I believe they did this because they wanted to experiment, not because it was what the mainstream demanded. I would encourage them to experiment with their sound, so long as they do it because they genuinely want to, and not because anyone else expects them to. 

• Like 1

JardyOfSuburbia

If Butch Walker is producing the new album, I'm stoked. He's put out great stuff from Brian Fallon and Frank Turner. I wouldn't just associate his work with "poppy." I'd love to see what he could do with Green Day's sound.

• Like 3